Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering getting a laminar for the ST4

should I get touring or standard?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
laminar lip

I have a 2000 ST2 with a stock windshield using the standard lip. One of the best additions to the bike. I do not have bar risers. The lip eliminated all helmet and shoulder buffeting. After the initial test with the velcro, I did bolt it on for extra security. Probably overkill.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2000 ST2 with a stock windshield using the standard lip. One of the best additions to the bike. I do not have bar risers. The lip eliminated all helmet and shoulder buffeting. After the initial test with the velcro, I did bolt it on for extra security. Probably overkill.
thanks! I was hoping the standard was enough.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
thanks! I was hoping the standard was enough.
So your not buying the Multistrada then, sticking with ole faithful ? :D Just fine tuning the old girl, my plans as well.

PS. A little food for thought:
Bernoulli's Principle states that as the speed of a moving fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid
decreases. The fluid can be either a liquid or a gas. For Bernoulli's Principle to apply, the fluid is assumed
to have these qualities:
• fluid flows smoothly
• fluid flows without any swirls (which are called "eddies")
• fluid flows everywhere through the pipe (which means there is no "flow separation")
• fluid has the same density everywhere (it is "incompressible" like water)
As a fluid passes through a pipe that narrows or widens, the velocity and pressure of the fluid vary. As the
pipe narrows, the fluid flows more quickly. Surprisingly, Bernoulli's Principle tells us that as the fluid flows
more quickly through the narrow sections, the pressure actually decreases rather than increases!

Craig

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
An this is why birds and aircraft fly and sailboats move. The air moves faster over the upper surface (outside of the curve) of the wing causing a lower pressure and slows under the wing causing higher pressure. So, you get suction.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It's also known as the Venturi effect and is how carbs work allowing petrol to move out of the main jet and into the airstream

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So your not buying the Multistrada then, sticking with ole faithful ? :D Just fine tuning the old girl, my plans as well.

PS. A little food for thought:
Bernoulli's Principle states that as the speed of a moving fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid
decreases. The fluid can be either a liquid or a gas. For Bernoulli's Principle to apply, the fluid is assumed
to have these qualities:
• fluid flows smoothly
• fluid flows without any swirls (which are called "eddies")
• fluid flows everywhere through the pipe (which means there is no "flow separation")
• fluid has the same density everywhere (it is "incompressible" like water)
As a fluid passes through a pipe that narrows or widens, the velocity and pressure of the fluid vary. As the
pipe narrows, the fluid flows more quickly. Surprisingly, Bernoulli's Principle tells us that as the fluid flows
more quickly through the narrow sections, the pressure actually decreases rather than increases!

Craig
that decision has not come to complete fruition yet, but since I'm in no hurry and will sell the 750 GT first to buy whatever, I'm still in the consideration phase. I'm am thinking the a ST4s set up right would top my list at the moment. Or at least until I ride the Multi again tomorrow. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
F**k, I am surrounded by smart arses :D

Craig

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey Robert;
Before I got the LL for my standard screen, I called the guy that actually owns the place. He gently urged me to do the standard lip. also, offered a money back on it if not satisfied. I got one - it's the best thing you can do to get rid of the buffeting. Never mind where the wind hits, it's the buffeting that is the pits. It may look strange, but then, WGARA (who gives a rat's arse). I can cruse at 80+ with out feeling at all uncomfortable with the wind blowing over and past me.

PS - really like the yellow on that new engine....LOL.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Robert;
Before I got the LL for my standard screen, I called the guy that actually owns the place. He gently urged me to do the standard lip. also, offered a money back on it if not satisfied. I got one - it's the best thing you can do to get rid of the buffeting. Never mind where the wind hits, it's the buffeting that is the pits. It may look strange, but then, WGARA (who gives a rat's arse). I can cruse at 80+ with out feeling at all uncomfortable with the wind blowing over and past me.

PS - really like the yellow on that new engine....LOL.
thanks Dave, been wondering how you made it through the heat this year.
Heck, I made two trips to Raleigh this summer and should have got up with you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got assigned to a project in Montreal - five days per week, so pretty much fantastic riding weather all summer with no bike to ride. The French Canadians forego any form of riding gear other than the obligatory helmet. Generally looks pretty scary from my point of view in a cage. But then, the French always want to do it their way.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Who sells the laminar lip?

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts