Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While trying to debug my tach problem, I removed my gauge cluster.

Wow, if that isn't the lamest way to mount gauges I don't know what is, I think rubber bands would have been a better setup.

I can't remount my gauges. Those rubber feet don't seem to hold on anymore.

Okay, is there a fix or is this another $200 dealer only part :(

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
IIRC, those rubber double-ended stand-offs are about $8.00 from the dealer last time I bought some. I removed my cluster to replace a burned out bulb and one of the stand-offs was separated from the threaded portion.

BTW, don't reef on the mounting nuts when putting it all back. Over-torquing them will pull the threaded stud right out from the rubber body. Finger tight into the cluster; just snug on the mounting nuts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Paulo,

To confirm. The rubber feet is rubber on one end and has a threaded bolt on one.

The treaded portion screws into the gauge cluster finger tight.

The rubber side slides over the little rivet. The rivet does not come off from the headlight housing, is this right?

Are the feet glued down? There seems to be some brittle substance under the riviet head. Looks like dried up glue...

Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
You can reglue the studs to the rubber with "Shoe Goo", found at Wal-Mart, etc. It will hold, it you clean everything and let it cure-up well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Attached is a page out of the parts manual. Item of interest is Item 11 (Part Number 8000.56752).

It's kind of like two bolts stuck togeter with a molded piece of rubber between them. Think of it as a stud with a rubber body. You can kind of see this in the drawing.

There is no glue involved. What you're probably seeing is a previous attempt at a repair.

One end threads into the cluster; the other end goes thru holes in the headlight bucket and is secured with nuts.

I have had no luck trying to glue the metal threaded studs back onto the rubber body. YMMD.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paulo57509 said:
Attached is a page out of the parts manual. Item of interest is Item 11 (Part Number 8000.56752).

It's kind of like two bolts stuck togeter with a molded piece of rubber between them. Think of it as a stud with a rubber body. You can kind of see this in the drawing.

There is no glue involved. What you're probably seeing is a previous attempt at a repair.

One end threads into the cluster; the other end goes thru holes in the headlight bucket and is secured with nuts.

I have had no luck trying to glue the metal threaded studs back onto the rubber body. YMMD.
Thanks Paulo, that is NOT how my part looks like. It seems that I was unaware that the gauges are bolted on from the back side so I just pulled it :). But, it did come off with very little effort. I think a couple of potholes would have knocked it loose. Oh well.

I think they were previously glued on via the Shoe Goo method. Thanks Colt.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top