Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I love how everyone on the lambo site is flaming the driver and saying that is the reason that it lost to the Duc....and he's an forumla 1 driver. Phenominal!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
What a bunch of turds.

If ANYONE can drive it like they stole it, it would be Tiff. There isn´t a faster driver on that program.

//amullo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Guys just a couple of points..

Tiff Needell is NOT an F1 driver..
he has done le mans a couple of times and some touring car stuff but i wouldnt put him in the same class as Jason Plato who is one of the other drivers on 5th gear.
he is a leading touring car driver for seat...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wasn't that a std 999 in that vid? Imagine if they had a 999R, which is still an order of magnitude cheaper than a Lambo, to go up against. I mean if you are going to race an exotic, why mess around anyway, lol. Hell, a 749R probably would still have won with a qualified pilot.

I've seen numerous car vs motorcycle races dating back to the 80s and you know what, the bikes _always_ win.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Acceleration. The only reason any bike can beat a car. As the video said at the beginning. The car gets to 60mph in 4 seconds. The bike a second quicker. The result was the car lost by .445 seconds. The car is better around corners and top speed. That track didn't look suited to take advantage of the 200mph top speed of that car. The bike's top speed is maybe 180mph. Take it to any track where the riders/drivers can get to 200 mph and the car wins easily every time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
They should have put it up against a top-end Atom. The Atom is known for eating just about any bike out there alive. It's only a little more than a 999r.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
logo29a said:
They should have put it up against a top-end Atom. The Atom is known for eating just about any bike out there alive. It's only a little more than a 999r.
And if you watch the video, they ran the Atom against a CBR 600 What is up with that? Why not prove a point and run it agains a 999R that is priced about the same as the Supercharged atom. Actually i think the 999R is cheaper.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Beating a liter-class bike from Japan would impress me a bit more than some 600. Hell, the new ZX-10R makes like 160hp.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
logo29a said:

I love that thinking..

"Hey! Lets put a bike that is made in hundreds of thosands of units (I4 600cc) against a VERY rare and handbuilt car that is only close to streetlegal and actaully not usable outside a racetrack!"

Why not take the atom against a tuned GSX-R1000 that has all the right stuff on it like tires, magwheels, suspension, exhaust, CF panels and so on.

Then they are comparable.. A slight deviation from trackready.

But a Stock 999 BiP against a legalized racecar? Give me a break.

//amullo

·
Registered
5 Posts
amullo said:
I love that thinking..

"Hey! Lets put a bike that is made in hundreds of thosands of units (I4 600cc) against a VERY rare and handbuilt car that is only close to streetlegal and actaully not usable outside a racetrack!"

Why not take the atom against a tuned GSX-R1000 that has all the right stuff on it like tires, magwheels, suspension, exhaust, CF panels and so on.

Then they are comparable.. A slight deviation from trackready.

But a Stock 999 BiP against a legalized racecar? Give me a break.

//amullo
I don't quite agree. The Atom is every bit as practical as any streetbike out there.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have to own one of those! (Atom) No compromises! Be your own KART driver on the street! ...I would get in sooooo much trouble, but I absolutely have to have one of those some day, even if it's only for a couple years.
Anyway, to weigh in on the topic I think 5th gear is one of the best auto shows out there. I can't believe how good the programming is. All we get (in the states) are lame car shows with some pud building some monster talking about how you can afford to do it when there's no way, with some ditz blonde there to hold the parts and read a card.
5th gear is funny, witty, opinionated, well edited, directed, and produced (even artistic at times) and they either have really powerful friends or a huge operating budget to pull off some of the things they do (shoot, or both..). If anyone knows how I can watch the show somewhere here in the states more often than catching it at random, let me know.

HATS OFF TO CHANNEL 5!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
It's a fallacy that any of the mass-production street-legal cars running street legal tires is appreciably faster than a stock superbike in the turns. The bikes are faster, pulling well over 1G of lateral acceleration - and their other major advantage is their much narrower width allows them to straighten out any series of esses or kinks much more.

Look at the data telemetry of any of the good comparisons over the years, especially the pretty exhaustive testing done a few years ago by one of the US mags that pitted Schwantz riding and driving a Gixxer 1K against a Corvette.

The bare-bones, streetlegal, limited production specials are amazing devices and super-cool, but I really don't believe they can be classisfied as regular production sports cars, that one can buy down at the local dealer, have serviced easily, etc, etc. Has anyone ever seen one commuting to work? :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts