Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be in the Lake George area of New York next week. What good rides should I look at taking in the area?
Any good dealers in the area I should consider frequenting? Any body with a selection of used St parts around?
I'll be going down to Conn. while there, best road[not 91]?

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you are going to Lake George next week, there will literally be bikes EVERYWHERE, as it is Americade week. Something like 250,000 visitors in the area, every hotel booked, etc...and lots of daily rides!:D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
The Adirondacks are polluted with great roads. Really once you get off 87 there is not a boring road to be found. Head towards Vt, great roads and fewer people. I grew up in that area and it really is wonderful in the summer. Americade is a zoo but it really is something to see. Have a great trip- bring rain gear.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Going to be in the Lake George area of New York next week. What good rides should I look at taking in the area?
Any good dealers in the area I should consider frequenting? Any body with a selection of used St parts around?
I'll be going down to Conn. while there, best road[not 91]?
Once you get about 70 miles OUTSIDE of the Lake George area to get away from the Harley's and Honda-bago's, you'll be in heaven!

And yes, definitely head over to Vermont. Not a bad road in the state! I'll be up there. PM me if you want

Bill
2003 ST4s

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you're heading to CT from NY, I would suggest taking RT 20 off the NY thruway. This will take you through Otis, MA to RT 8 into northwest CT. From there I would head into Litchfield county where there are some awesome roads, covered bridges, great restaurants, etc. Limerock race track is up there and a must-see. They have events going all the time.
It sounds like a great trip. Be safe

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Last time I went to Americade (years ago), one ride we did was up to Lake Placid. I don't remember the route, but it was a decent ride.

Another great option would be to take 9N up to Moriah, and head over to Tracy Rd. This is a nice windy 6-7 mile road with little traffic. Then you can double back down 9N, turn left on 17 to head over to VT. Rt 17 is the App Gap, and it goes to Rt 100. you can then go south on 100, and take 125 or 73 back across (Middlebury Gap or Brandon Gap), and find either 7 or 30, head south to 4, and west back to Lake George.

·
comrade moderator
26,775 Posts
I'd steer clear of Tracy road, especially on Americade weekend. ALL the stunt kids/wannabe racers from the Albany and surrounding area will be there trying to get their knees down.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Funny, I've only ever been to Tracy Rd in September (multiple years), and every time there's been nobody except our group there. Usually, there's not even any cars!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to impressed with the Vermont roads.140, Surface deterioration is pretty bad[frost heaves and cracking], signage is really poor for a new rider. Definitely a road for local experience.
I seemed to prefer the Adirondak roads, maybe better because they are in a forest type area. 9n north of Bolton landing,8,2,28n,4 some others I am forgetting. Great scenery, lots of water features, I am from the desert.
Didn't do enough of Vermont to get a better opinion, I know they have lots great scenery also.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just returned from Americade, rode Weds - Saturday, just over 1000 miles, all there as I had to trailer to get there (GF not just got her Monster 2 days before leaving!).

Nice riding, but VT was a bit rough. Great run up to Lake Placid, 83 miles each way, and pretty cool views once onto Rte. 73, the last 33 miles.

As a side note, if you ever get chance to go up the 90 Meter Tower at Placid do it. Well worth the $10 - those ski jumpers are insane!:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts