Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok me and a buddy are packing up the bikes and driving to Laguna for
Gp. We are leaving from Denver.

I have been to Laguna in 05 and 07. However I flew out. We intend on
riding HWY 1 for five or so days before the race. One day we are going to
San Fran. The purpose of the thread is to get advise on where to ride
and have fun. Also anything to avoid. IE: Cops bad roads ect ect.

Thanks

MH900e

·
Registered
792 Posts
You should make a trip to Alice's on Skyline (Hwy 35) to just take in the show. Highway 9 leading down in Santa Cruz is also mighty fine, but sometimes slow with traffic.

There will be heavy patrol everywhere within a couple hours of Monterey, extending out to the popular twisties beyond (including 35). If you ride like a sane adult, 'The Man' will target the young squids doing 90 mph wheelstands and you'll probably fly under the radar at a comfortable 10-15 mph over.

DO NOT SPEED ON HIGHWAY 1 FROM SANTA CRUZ TO MONTEREY. It is not unusual to see a dozen or more CHP with lookouts posted on overpasses on this stretch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I can't wait.

Please feel free to chime in if any of you can think of anything else

Steve :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hwy 1 all the way from Mill Valley to Leggett is a terrific ride. However, the key is to ride it weekdays and/or mornings... imho...evenings can be okay also, but there can be a lot of wind at the coast in the afternoon. This time of year there can be a lot of tourist traffic which will give you fits.

Along the way - Pt Reyes Station/Bovine Bakery, Tomales/Tomales Bakery, Occidental/Howards Station for breakfast or lunch. If you are able to get further north Skaggs Springs Stewarts Point Road is a good one. The section of Hwy 1 from the coast to Leggett is particularly tasty. Myers Grade (a few miles north of Jenner) is a nice detour.... I like to ride it to Timber Cover Road, then drop back down to Hwy 1. If you do decide to ride the full route to Leggett, continue on up 1/101 to Fortuna where you will find several motels next door to the Eel River Brewing Company. First exit as you come into Fortuna if i recall correctly. If you are camping, the Albee Creek campground in Humboldt Redwods State Park is very nice.

Have a great ride!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Ok me and a buddy are packing up the bikes and driving to Laguna for
Gp. We are leaving from Denver.

I have been to Laguna in 05 and 07. However I flew out. We intend on
riding HWY 1 for five or so days before the race. One day we are going to
San Fran. The purpose of the thread is to get advise on where to ride
and have fun. Also anything to avoid. IE: Cops bad roads ect ect.

Thanks

MH900e
I'm sorry but I can't tell if you are riding out here or loading the bikes onto a truck or trailer. Camping or hotels?

Above can make a huge difference. It's been really hot inland just a few miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts