Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

I am soliciting for advice for Laguna Seca:
Best place to stay? (i.e., Salinas, etc.).
Parking?
Route?
Will the race sell out ticket-wise?
Cameras (will they allow long lens outfits)?

Thanks Much!

G

·
Registered
605 Posts
Howdy All,

Parking?
Route?

Thanks Much!

G
I've been to the MotoGP race there a bunch of times and it's a blast! I've never seen anyone with a big camera/lens hassled, but I've never taken one myself so I don't know first hand.

My #1 piece of advice would be to have a bike of some sort (your bike, scooter, whatever) to get to the track. Once you enter the facility, it's a 10 minute ish slow ride to the track itself. Bikers are allowed to ride in the whole way and have parking areas, helmet/gear checks very close. Cars park very far away....I don't know if they're even allowed in the facility....and then the people are forced to take shuttle buses in which looks like a nightmare from a timing perspective that would add a lot of wasted time to your day, especially leaving

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Howdy All,

Parking?
Route?

Thanks Much!

G
Best Place To Sit Is The CorkScrew Bring Seat,Water,Shade :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are plenty of places to stay besides Monterey that are within an hour and a pretty good ride. Santa Cruz can get pretty crowded as it's a tourist town, Just down the highway towards Monterey, is Watsonville, Aptos, Capitola, Soquel. Even San Jose although about 1.5 hours away.
If you've never been to Laguna, the suggestion to watch from the corkscrew is a good one. Plenty of shade and watching/listening to the bikes as they crest the hill and come down through the corkscrew is worth the walk.
Also, strolling through the pits is like a candy store, just try doing it when there isn't any or much going on the track as you can't see much of the track from the pits.
A walk around the track is cool as there are quite a few good vantage points and it's a good workout too.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Laguna Seca is a blast and you will have a great time! I've carried in multiple lenses and a monopod and never had any issues, but my last visit was 2008. I doubt any policies have changed, but you might check.

General Admission tickets (no grandstand seating) have always worked out great for me as I like to check out various areas of the track at different times. As mentioned, the Corkscrew is fantastic for the view and good photos. And you can walk back up the hill and view most of the rest of the track from the other side.

For parking, route to track, and tickets (getting them ahead of time saves a few bucks) you should go to their website for the event.

Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix - Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca

Check the weather before you head to the track as you can either roast or freeze your ass off if the weather heads into the weeds. I've experienced both and as long as you're prepared, it won't hinder your experience. It's even more fun when you ride to the track down 101 freezing your ass off where it's cold and foggy, then get to the track and have a bright, sunny, hot day. Yes, in July... :)

As for places to stay, trying to stay in Monterey (and arranging it less than 2 weeks before the event) will be hit-or-miss and most likely pretty expensive. Finding somewhere as mentioned above within an hour or so from the track is the way to go. I would ride in from South San Jose each day for the 3 days and it is about an hour each way. It's a beautiful area too, so the distance goes by quickly.

Wish I was riding out for it again, but work is not cooperating.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Cannery Row area has a good night life with the streets blocked off for bikes only. I wouldn't recommend staying down there as it's pretty noisy. If you need tickets, one of my neighbors but Ducati Island tickets and entrance passes and can't go. I could broker the deal for you if interested.

Also study some maps as the back way into the track is more fun and less traffic.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I've staying in Monterry a couple of times and all as far away as Morgan Hill. While Monterrey is pricey, it really is worth it to not have to slug through even more traffic to get to where you are staying after already slugging through all the race traffic. And if you stay even a couple of blocks outside of Cannery Row, the nightlife/bike noise/etc is nothing to worry about in the least. Hey, that's why you are there, right? And there is something really cool about hearing exotic bikes cruising the streets one after another. Your head will be snapping from side to side the whole weekend looking to see...ooh, what's making that awesome sound over there, no wait there's another cool one over there, is that a gang of two-strokes coming this way, oh I think I just got happy in my pants, that was a Desmosedici an 888 and two 1098Rs that just went by together. Good stuff. Gonna miss not going this year...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts