Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Ladies on Monsters

5486 24
My wife is getting very interested in a bike of her own and contemplating a 620ie. Question is how many ladies are out there on Monsters and would you have any comments or suggestions regarding the 620ie suitability for new rider (well sort of new as she has many hours as a good pillion)
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My girlfriend is seriously considering a 620ie.....my wife however wants either a Honda 599 or a Suzuki SV650...my 1st question for you is not so much her height but her inseam...though height does make some of an affect also!....but the Monster 620ie is an excellent machine to start off on into the foray of motorcycles....but I'd be wary of the expense of rookie mistakes....does she have any riding experience on her own?....if not....maybe look for a rather cheap and disposable Suzuki GS500e for example to get her feet on the ground running with something that won't be so much of a disapointment if she drops it

·
Registered
905 Posts
Good point about experience; I always recommend new riders spending their first season (or two!) on something cheap that they won't get too heartbroken (or bank broken) over when it goes horizontal.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll find a lot of support for the 620. You might even want to check/search in the FRF Archived forums, too. But the 620 offers the lowest seat height - but that can always be adjusted, regardless of the size Monster. I'd go with how comfortable she feels on a given bike, depending on experience, IMO.

·
=^o.o^=
364 Posts
Don,

Passenger seat time does not equal rider seat time. I have mixed feelings about having a new rider get a monster. On one hand I applaud her for her excellent taste. While seat height, lightness and power are good arguments for a new rider getting a 620, I have a story about a friend who, having zero riding experience, bought one. She is average height, 5' 5" or so and average strength. However, she has dropped that bike so many times, I joked that maybe she should buy levers in bulk to save money. Inexperience caused her to not be aware of things like trying to turn her bike around uphill, step in a little gravel coming to a stop and stuff like that. It's light, but not that light when it's on it's way towards the ground. Seat height plays a part, but really, her legs are plenty long. I'm with zoom on this one.. Get a nice cheap used GS 500 or EX500 for starters. I know everyone drops their bike sooner or later, and new riders more so, but of all the riders I know, girls tend to drop them even more so.. Nothing against us girls, but for the most part, we just aren't that strong enough to hold up that falling bike. All that being said, if you cannot deter her from a Duc, the 620 is the best & cheapest one to get.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
yes I do have both!

blade625CT said:
Girlfriend....Wife??????

What's going on down there zooom? Lol ;)
I guess I have mad skillz.....or rather...I just negotiated terms well with my relationships going in!...and yes...they do know about each other and we go out together to the club on Saturday night the 3 of us!...but that is not the topic here!

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Nah....it's been suggested by better riders than I, that a first bike be one that is mild in performance and cheap to fix or discard. A budget of 1,000USD should get her onto something that is enjoyable, managable from a maintenance/repair stand point, and, should she decide it's not for her, toss away.

The excess in the budget can/should go for classes and equipment. Focus on what is most important.

Don said:
My wife is getting very interested in a bike of her own and contemplating a 620ie. Question is how many ladies are out there on Monsters and would you have any comments or suggestions regarding the 620ie suitability for new rider (well sort of new as she has many hours as a good pillion)

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Go for it, but buy a el' crappo bike to learn on first.

My wife has been riding my older M750 for about 12 months now. She enjoys it alot and doesn't have any problems regarding the height of the seat, weight of the bike or power of the engine. She's average height and build. She did however spend her first 3 months on a 1979 Honda CB250 while she learnt to ride. This was a good thing because she did drop the bike three times while we were practicing for the riding test. Two times coming out the tight U turn in a box and once during the emergency stop. All three times were because I pushed her riding limits beyond her comfort zone. Afterwards she realised better to drop the bike in practice and know what it's like than to drop it in the test and fail!

I have read that monsters are very popular with female riders. My wife enjoys it very much. Trouble is, after 12 months riding, I knocked her up and now her belly is so big she can't fit into her riding jeans!!!! I have to share riding time on the monster and 996 so they don't fight whilst parked in the garage over night!

·
Registered
627 Posts
My girlfriend spent her first year on a Honda CM200Twinstar. It was a great starter bike.

I would say that she is average height for a female, and she wasn't comfortable until she had a lowering link installed on her M620. It gives her 'sure' footing. Two other women we know with Monster S2R's are comfortable with the stock height.

·
Registered
905 Posts
zooom said:
I guess I have mad skillz.....or rather...I just negotiated terms well with my relationships going in!...and yes...they do know about each other and we go out together to the club on Saturday night the 3 of us!...but that is not the topic here!
Or you're just a glutton for punishment ... :p j/k zooom! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife has a 2000 M900s and loves it. Up untill recent back problems, (not related to the bike), she rode it everywhere. She does not ride it as much as she used to but still enjoys a weekend outting. Her comments are that it is so easy to handle because of the v-twin motor and low center of gravity. she's about 5'-5" and can just about flat foot the bike. Only change to seat height was a replacement of the stock seat with a Corbin.
She also got into customizing the bike and enjoyed the fact that for a non-Harley bike there was so much available to make it unique.
She's had several diffrent bikes and seems to be the happiest with this one. I think it helps her feel comfortable in the area of handling because of it's incredible performance which in turn makes her a more confident rider.

Al B.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go for 620 as a first

You'll find me in the archives waxing lyrical about a Monsta 620 as a first bike, so I'll keep it short.

I returned to riding after some 15 years; jumped on the Monsta and felt right at home; easy handling, docile power delivery, keep it up in the revs though and you'll be duelling with the bigger boys/girls on the track, absolutely mad fun and seeing the wannabes go nuts on their 1000's trying to stick with you in the twisties "priceless" :D

For me, the 620 is a keeper, too much fun to give up.

I'm a bloke, 6'2" (yes, it doesn't look quite right - but then, I'm not looking at myself), though I have dropped it twice (one slow speed u turn, very embarrassing - hit the curb whilst looking at where I wanted to go:eek:, and once forgot to put the sidestand down in my rush to escape inside from the driving sleet :think:

The 620 works well for the newbie/semi-newbie and the returnee; now, how much did you want for that 999S?

Jack./

·
Registered
132 Posts
ladies on Monsters

My wife, All 5'2" and 100 lbs. rides a yellow 620 and has no problems at all. She did ride dirt bikes for about 5 years before getting a road bike, did the falling down thing on the dirt. She took the Ride Oregon safety course which helped her adjust to riding on the street. She's figured out getting her feet down at stops, even though she on her toes, seems to manage fine. We spent a lot of time in parking lots practicing power stops, figure eights. We live in an area where we can ride for miles without a lot of traffic, she has learned to ride the bike without having to deal with a lot of cars. Now she feels confident enough that the traffic doesn't bother her. She's read all the sport riding books, has a set of custom Vanson leathers and wants to do a track day this year- oh, by the way, she's 56 yrs. old!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My gf began riding a monster 620 after i kicked her off the back of my bike (wanted to ride by myself for once) and she learned right away. The bike was small enough yet fun enough to last her approximately 2 years. She then sold hers and bought my 800 which she rides to this day. Owning a ducati is simply a matter of deciding if spending all that money is worth it for you (or them). You can get an sv to do the same thing... but then you wouldn't be riding a ducati. If your really worried pick up a used monster... best of both worlds less initial investment and still the same ducati feel/ style.
Finally I feel that you should leave her training up to the pros. Send her to school!.. that way she learns and your relationship is not mared by the learning process.

·
Registered
38 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the corbin seat is also shallower than stock (approximately an inch or more) That combined with a slightly lowered susension would prove great. My gf rides an m800 and she's 5'6 on a good day

chris-

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.