Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a previous owner of a 2011 1198 and loved the engine in that bike. I am looking to get back to the bike scene after about 8 years of not owning a bike. I am considering a used Ducati and leaning towards the streetfighter. Now for my question, with a little context; in considering a used streetfighter and assuming I didn't aim at the V4 model, I would likely lean towards a 1098S if I could find a decent value in price and mileage. The 1098's are several years old so I would be in the range of 5k miles and up, with some listed as high as 15-20k miles (that I have seen so far). So, given my limited experience with the L-Twin, what is a reasonable lifespan of those engines (in miles) assuming good care and valve maintenance being done at proper intervals etc.? Also, has anyone had experience in buying a higher mileage L-Twin with around 15k miles, and was it a good choice for you? Thanks in advance for any advice and shared experiences.

-CH

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
My 998 has about 27,000 my HyperS 25,000, and My Multistrada 32,000. They all run better now than the day they were bought. The desmos with the flaking rocker were a bit more maintenance but I would not be too scared of a 1098 with 15-20k. Be sure to look over maintenance records, you should see 3-4 valve/belts services

t_bare

Reactions: CHuff

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ive got a 2002 998 that just turned 42000 on the racetrack this past weekend. Ive owned it for nearly two years and it runs stronger than ever. Ive changed the belts once, checked the valves, and performed nearly all the other usual maintenance items.

·
Premium Member
5,919 Posts
I have customers with supersports and a 996 at about 70,000 miles. You can not tell any difference from a 10,000 mile bike if maintained.
I have 2 800ss bikes in my dyno one at 4,000 and the other at 40,000 you would think it was the same bike.

As always buy based on condition and maintenance history, they are all a gamble but a a bike that has been maintained by someone who cares is a much safer bet.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I don't remember his name but there was a SS owner with over 200,000 on his bike, I sold him some 900 cylinders and pistons at around 150k and got his old cylinders in exchange. They weren't too hateful looking and probably could have been reused but I used them for a 944 build.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I've seen a couple dozen Ducatis with over 100K miles; mostly either aircooled 2V, or 996-based engines. I am aware of 3 Ducs that had over 200K miles; an ST4, an ST4s, and my own M900 Monster.

Reactions: CHuff

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen a couple dozen Ducatis with over 100K miles; mostly either aircooled 2V, or 996-based engines. I am aware of 3 Ducs that had over 200K miles; an ST4, an ST4s, and my own M900 Monster.
Good stuff. Based on the responses I've seen so far along with other discussion threads in this forum, it sounds like the desmo engines outside of regular track usage are just fine long term assuming regular maintenance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am a previous owner of a 2011 1198 and loved the engine in that bike. I am looking to get back to the bike scene after about 8 years of not owning a bike. I am considering a used Ducati and leaning towards the streetfighter. Now for my question, with a little context; in considering a used streetfighter and assuming I didn't aim at the V4 model, I would likely lean towards a 1098S if I could find a decent value in price and mileage. The 1098's are several years old so I would be in the range of 5k miles and up, with some listed as high as 15-20k miles (that I have seen so far). So, given my limited experience with the L-Twin, what is a reasonable lifespan of those engines (in miles) assuming good care and valve maintenance being done at proper intervals etc.? Also, has anyone had experience in buying a higher mileage L-Twin with around 15k miles, and was it a good choice for you? Thanks in advance for any advice and shared experiences.

-CH

no need to confused for the engine milage if you take care the engine very well
but make concern to new bike which a lot off electronic sensors
thats more sensitive than engine
so old bike with less electronic mean less money hahhahaha

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
A roll of the dice. Take care of it, it breaks anyway. Abuse it, then if it breaks you kind of expected it would happen, and saved all that money you would have spent on maintenance on repair instead.

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
2010 Ducati 848 Superbike
427 Posts
The 1098's are several years old so I would be in the range of 5k miles and up, with some listed as high as 15-20k miles (that I have seen so far).
I regularly look at any 1098/1198 for sale down here, looking at bikes with 20k miles (converted to about 30k kilometricos) is something I consider "low mileage" when I'm looking.....!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.