Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Would you like to purchase the damn taillights? :)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
pics!

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
I'm in as long as you can integrate the turn signals too.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This new forum software is badass!

From Joes website:

Atomic-Bright LED taillight retrofit for the Ducati 999, 749, and the Multistrada 1000DS. This allows you to add the part to you bike that Ducati seemed to forget on these awesome machines.

Available with or without integrated turn signals.

Fits in place of stock bulb, socket, and reflector assembly. Notes: This LED retrofit works out very well with the design of the stock taillight lens. It's almost as if Ducati designed the lens for an LED board.

Adding the integrated turn signals slightly reduces the amount of run/brake L.E.D.'s, but the performance is still far superior to the stock bulb.

Installation requires slight modification to light housing for mounting board. We will do the installation for free if you like. Rewiring inside of light housing to remove factory bare metal connectors is highly recommended.

And Some Pictures:

Testimonial:

by Ray SkwarekDate Added: Monday 31 May, 2004
i installed the LED tail light on my Multistrada yesterday. the level of improvement in brightness is incredible. i've seen some other LED applications, that i thought were so-so, so i was a bit worried. once i saw the product with 64 LED's, i thought it would perform great, and i was not disappointed in the least.

i used posi lock connectors to handle the wiring. no problems there, although i had to thread two wires into one side of the posi lock. their website said this could be done, and they were right.

the goop adhesive product recommended by heavycycles also worked great. it took a little bit of time to hold the LED board just right while the glue dried. i had some clamps, but it still was tricky. if you are pretty good with tools, etc., you can do this with no problem, it takes only about 45 minutes. but if you aren't sure, it looks like heavycycles will do it for you for free, and that's a good option for others.

performance and satisfaction is rated A+++++

overall, i highly recommend.

Rating:
[5 of 5 Stars!]

He might be able to do this for you SS guys as well:

Some applicable links:

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=multistrada&Number=122960&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=1764

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Ducati&Number=124385&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Ducati&Number=138378&page=20&view=expanded&sb=1&o=0&vc=1

http://www.heavycycles.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=46&reviews_id=12

Info:

He makes them for Tamburini bikes as well but I believe the standing offer is for Terblanche bikes only (top three pictures) Not sure though well have to wait for his input. Also not sure of the price.

Joe needs ten guys so get on it!:D

Dont be the one with the best bike and the cheapest taillight.

If youre in just post.

O

·
0 Posts
ducati955 said:

Here is a pic of my LED taillight. It's from Ken's Customs and I'm pretty happy with it. As you can see, it uses the stock housing and retains the stock signals (I like the OEM look). There is an integrated signal option as well. Installation was not exceptionally easy and took about an hour. I could do it again in 10 minutes though. The only real problem was that the LED board sat at too much of a downward angle so the bulbs appeared somewhat dim when viewed from behind. With a little crazy glue and a piece of plastic, however, I forced it to point in a direction more level with the ground and is now very bright. Great mod, all in all.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you're looking to do a group buy and volume is important you should post it on the speedzilla.com Ducati forum as well.. I think a lot of people bounce back and forth between this forum and that one but just in case.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok, here's what I'm thinking... 10 or more, 20% off... 20 or more, free UPS 3-Day shipping as well.

This would be for the following:

- 916/748/996/996 retrofits - no integrated signals on these because they looked like crap and I was not going to put the LED board pointing up at the sky to improve the signal appearance. The board is split into two separate sections, left and right, so an integrator is an option. This retrofit also comes with a secondary reflector optic to improve light output at all angles (like it wasn't bright enough already :D )

- 749/999/Multistrada retrofits, with and without integrated amber signal LEDs (and no, they don't point at the ground)

- Monster retrofits, with and without integrated amber signal LEDs

Please ask any questions on this thread so everyone can benefit... remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
ok, here's what I'm thinking... 10 or more, 20% off... 20 or more, free UPS 3-Day shipping as well.

This would be for the following:

- 916/748/996/996 retrofits
- 749/999/Multistrada retrofits
- Monster retrofits
I'm 80% in for my 748 depending on total out-of-pocket price, time frame, and whether the LED system draws more or less wattage than the stock incandescents. (I'm guessing less, but I'd like to know fo' sho'.)

D

·
0 Posts
Just wanted to add my personal experience from Joe's LED light's that I have got for my Multi.

It's been over a year since I have installed them and to be honest they exceed by far my expectations :). They are more bright than you want, they look awsome and the installation was very simple. After a year on my bike, with all kinds of weather riding, I had no issues at all even though some times the plastic cover of the rear light was misty. Only downside for me was that since I'm in Greece I had to pay custom taxes :mad:, and they charged me like it was a full tail light assembly from a Ferrari or so (almost doubled the price of the lights...:mad::mad::mad:). Probably the best LEDs you can get for your Duc and Joe was very helpful too. Highly suggested.

I have got the version with the integrated turn signal and keep in mind that if you plan on get this one, you'll have to install a resistor in order for the turn signals to blink as frequent as they use to. Otherwise they will blink a lot faster than the stock ones. Personally I have left the stock signals on too because I liked the way they look when I have the panniers on the bike. Ofcourse the 749/999 bikes will look much better without them I guess.

Here are a couple of pics of my bike with the LED tail light on it.

Regards,

Doc

P.S: I'm in no way affiliated with Heavycycles or Joe. I'm just a very satisfied customer and thought I could help providing my personal experience.

P.S 2: the pics were taken outside my house on a sunny summer day :)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
rob said:
I'm 80% in for my 748 depending on total out-of-pocket price, time frame, and whether the LED system draws more or less wattage than the stock incandescents. (I'm guessing less, but I'd like to know fo' sho'.)
definitely draws less! I can give you some specific numbers if you like.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Monster and 999 kits without integrated signals would be $191.96 (reg $239.95)
Monster and 999 kits with integrated signals would be $207.96 (reg $259.95)
916-998 kits would be $199.96 (reg $249.95)

These lights will blow any other comparable light out there away... if for any reason, you are not satisfied with one of our lights, you can send it back for a full refund, plus shipping charges... I'm that confident.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow.. as nice as those are, out of my price range for tail lights. Gl ya'll, those were nice and bright.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
Dr Scum- So on the 748 series your LEDs will not work with my Evoluzione turn signal integrator?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Synergy said:
Dr Scum- So on the 748 series your LEDs will not work with my Evoluzione turn signal integrator?

no, actually it should... the board is split into two separate sides, left and right, so each side can be wired independantly.

some integrators aparrently will not work correctly with LEDs, so you may want to check and see if it will.

for reference, it draws about 400mA per side and the stock bulb setup is about 2100mA per side

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
I will check into it...I know from my truck using LEDs and the stock flasher it needs a resistor or load equalizer to slow the flash down. Do you have something like that for this application?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
I´m intrested...

About turnsignal integration. I bought LED fron turnsignals for mine (they are set in the mirrors) and that included a load equalizer from Harley (YUCK!), but it slowed the blinking down. It is also adaptive, since the signals ALWAYS blink at the right speed regardless of the fact that i have or doen´t have signals installed on the bike at that time.

The box says "Load equalizer" and should cost about 25$ at any HD dealer (from what i heard)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts