Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im curious if anyone else has done a long trip on the ducati sportbikes i need some advice and opinions if i should even do it ... were planning to go in a couple of weeks.......is it do able? will the bike make it? its about 600mi since were taking PCH most of the way. any opinions and violent reactions will be much appreciated. thanks!

o by the way heres my bike's stats

03 749 mono with 2k mi.

as for me the longest ive gone in one day is about 200mi.

·
Registered
610 Posts
#1 replace seat with gel seat!

#2 don't try to be a superman and do it in a whole day!

#3 bring tools as well flat fix stuff!

#4 call ahead to the local Ducati dealer and get info on there location and ability to pick up!

#5 don't go alone! loneliness sucks!

#6 Get a scaner to keep your wallet in tack!

#7 say Hi to Greg!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Child's play. :p No seriously, it's a long ride, but quite doable. We went from San Diego to San Francisco and back last year, intentionally going out of our way to hit every notable road in between. We split the primary riding into two days to go each way, but ended up doing a total of more than 2000 miles over about 5 riding days (two days there, a couple of half day afternoon excursions mixed in with the MotoGP action in Monterrey, about a day and a half back). Would have been fairly easy to do the primary ride in one stretch if we hadn't taken so many out of the way routes to hit better twisties. Just doing PCH down to LA should be a good enough trip in itself. For the record I was on my 996, loaded down with bags for a week, stock pegs and clip-ons, and a repadded stock seat, and my friend was on his equally stock 999R, so it was less than an ideal setup for long distance touring.

It would be easier if you were a bit more conditioned to it, but not a huge deal. Take breaks when you need to, stay hydrated, and make sure you are not hitting particularly dangerous stuff when exhausted. That is, don't hit LA traffic or a section of PCH that requires extreme concentration while you are worn out. Stop for a long dinner and a second wind if you need to, rather than push on to make it to your destination before dark or whatever. The right gear makes a difference too. Make sure you won't have added fatigue from an ill-fitting helmet or a jacket that billows too much. Don't try to break in new stuff on a ride like this. Last minute bike mods or new gear are a recipie for disaster on a long road trip. Any changes to the bike should have had a couple of decent rides already to shake out any problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sheepskin on the seat helped greatly going to MotoGP races last year. 400+ miles in one day no problem.

·
=^o.o^=
380 Posts
StavesacredarK said:
#1 replace seat with gel seat!
#2 don't try to be a superman and do it in a whole day!
#3 bring tools as well flat fix stuff!
#4 call ahead to the local Ducati dealer and get info on there location and ability to pick up!
#5 don't go alone! loneliness sucks!
#6 Get a scaner to keep your wallet in tack!
#7 say Hi to Greg!
Those are great tips. I regularly ride to Laguna Seca from Santa Barbara every year, but I have a few advantages...
1. I pack my very own "gel" seat.. plus, I actually hardly ever sit when I'm riding.. most of my weight is either on my toes or my thighs. Plus I'm fairly flexible being a girl and my legs don't cramp up too badly .. and I'm short so that doesn't hurt either.

2. Good call on this one.. if you get tired, you make mistakes. Ones that aren't a big deal.. like maybe nodding your head in a car, becomes 10 times more exciting on a bike. Once I rode to Santa Cruz from SB and then rode home the a day later.. I found myself thinking.. "Hey, I just opened my eyes.. that means they were closed !!" That was scary.

3. There are mini cans of fix-a-flat if you are pressed for room.

4. Having a AAA membership isn't too bad either.

5. Always good to have a buddy to at least share stories...

All in all, I don't have problem riding distances on my 749 but I think it depends on your height, leg length, and general stamina.

Have fun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is there anything i can do to condition myself? like do i need to start doin push ups or something hehehe ... as far as gel seats do you guys mean like corbin or sargeant seats? i guess ill pack some none drowsy pain killers too hehehe.

·
=^o.o^=
380 Posts
manso72 said:
is there anything i can do to condition myself? like do i need to start doin push ups or something hehehe ... as far as gel seats do you guys mean like corbin or sargeant seats? i guess ill pack some none drowsy pain killers too hehehe.
I'm talking about the padding we gals get that you guys don't (shouldn't!) get
. Pushups aren't a bad thing.. I got the chance to talk to Gary Nixon a few times.. he's a huge fan of doing pushups as conditioning for racers..

Make sure you get a lot of sleep the night before.. no staying up late to pack or fix your bike up. It's totally doable on that bike if you are used to riding it already. If you normally ride a multistrada and suddenly decide you want to go from la to sf on a 749.. well, it's not recommended unless it includes a lot of stops.

·
Premium Member
8,732 Posts
Buy a Gold Wing

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did a 12 hour ride on my 01 748s when I had it. It had the stock seat on it. It didn't break down, which it was good lol. I did about 800 miles on that ride. I stopped every 80 to 100 miles for a 10 min. break though.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Not much for long-distance riding myself but a friend did Denver-to-Vegas (750 miles each way) on a 75 Sport. The modern bikes are Barcaloungers compared to those relics so I guess you should be OK.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Living in San Francisco, born here too, as you can imagine I have made that trip, I dunno, maybe 500 times?

I have done the I-5, 115 MPH, to the 101 and coast thing.

I don't think the distance is anything. It's a short trip. And on the stop and go highway, it's a breeze, but takes all day.

I guess it depends on your physical condition, as the bike does not seem to be an issue.

I don't think that trip is that big a deal at all if you are stopping to fill up, ride, fill up, ride.... unless the bike dealer said "hello, pull up a couple bikes and have a seat," meaning you are packin a wide berth.

manso72 said:
im curious if anyone else has done a long trip on the ducati sportbikes i need some advice and opinions if i should even do it ... were planning to go in a couple of weeks.......is it do able? will the bike make it? its about 600mi since were taking PCH most of the way. any opinions and violent reactions will be much appreciated. thanks!

03 749 mono with 2k mi.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The first time I did it, it was on a 250 Diana and it took 12 hours, and nearly 96 hours later the seat was mechanically removed from my butt crack. LOL. ( Vintage Duc riders will understand that ) The last time I rode north was from Santa Ana ( 50 miles south of LA ) to the hotel in Monterey, in 7 hours ( total time, not just saddle time) on my ST4S. ( Returing on a sunny, Saturday morning via Hwy 1 ? Pure magic....)

Not alot to add to the good ideas shared above, but one particular thing is a killer on both legs of your trip- LA basin traffic. Don't underestimate the time it takes to traverse the LA traffic, where HOV lane advantage is not much advantage at all. ( Returning from a recent over night trip to Solvang, it took me 2 hours to traverse Los Angeles.)
manso72 said:

03 749 mono with 2k mi.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
bevel450 said:
The first time I did it, it was on a 250 Diana and it took 12 hours, and nearly 96 hours later the seat was mechanically removed from my butt crack. LOL. ( Vintage Duc riders will understand that )

So... You never learned the old trick of enhancing comfort on one of those old ones by replacing the stock seat with a 2x4... ;)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Ah...the good old days revisited ( and why is my arse hurting at the memory of it ?)

No, I was rather poor in those days. The 2x4 was sold as the DP catalog "comfort seat". The standard seat had the general configuration, weight, and comfort of railroad track.

MikeM said:
So... You never learned the old trick of enhancing comfort on one of those old ones by replacing the stock seat with a 2x4... ;)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Three words...

Sheepskin .... Earplugs .... Cruisecontrol

Best sheepskin is not a bought cover but to buy a long wool sheep skin rug and cut it to suit then jam the edged under. Works a treat and won't move plus can be turned around from time to time.

Need a decent cruise control? Sheet of that hard plastic about 1/4" thick... ( lick Shoe Horns are made of. Cut it about 8 " long x 1 1/2 " wide. Heat one end with a good hair dryer etc and wrap almost on loop around a broom stick. When this all cools it should fit on the end of the twist grip. When you ride on the highway, the heel of your hand rests on this to hold an even throttle. You can even stretch that hand.. on finger pressing on the plate holds position or can easily accelerate... SO nice for longer trips. Have to take some photos soon.. These can be bought here in OZ at many bike shops, not sure about your place. cheap and easy to make.

Mal

·
Registered
403 Posts
What Mal is describing is sold as the "Crampbuster" among other names. They only cost around $10-12. And in addition to saving you the hassle of making one, they come sized and shaped just right so that you can spin it one way to get it out of the way when you want, but not the other way to allow for finger-stretching cruise control. Or you can buy an actual cruise control in the form of a Throttlemeister or VistaCruise if you would like to completely remove your hand from the throttle to stretch shoulders and arms.

·
comrade moderator
26,775 Posts
I use my fast idle lever as a cruise control. Just adjusted the cable up for a bit less slack...works great, it's free, and it's already there!

The sheepskin is a great bit of advice, and earplugs should be madatory anyhoo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts