Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am thinking a road trip alone with my Multistrada Ducati in August 2019, From Los Angeles CA to Gunnison CO. Any one out there who could tell me more about such trip and share experiences to that trip. Any tips are welcome but also routes ideas off Hwy maybe...Thanks:smile2:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've done the reverse trip one July on my way to Laguna Seca using the direct route (Barstow, Vegas, Zion, Bryce, and then 95 to 191 to 46/90 to 141 to 145 to 550 to 50 to Gunnison). I expect it wouldn't be too different from doing it in August. Needless to say it was hot 100+ from Vegas to Barstow in the afternoon. Coming out of LA, it would probably make sense to do the LA to Vegas route after the sun set to make it more tolerable. If you've never ridden southern UT, it is well worth the trip. Can't imagine anywhere in the world that would be like it. Like riding through a Road Runner carton.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There is potential for cold weather at elevation, even in August. So bring layers of clothes.

A couple years ago I did a car trip, the last leg was Denver to LA. I stayed in Beaver UT overnight, halfway through. Took the main highways due to limited time. Two days. I would have liked to avoid Vegas, but there was no easy way.

I would allow 3-4 days one way and look for secondary roads if possible. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
11,892 Posts
I have done the trip from Sacramento to Breckenridge and that included cruising the Gunnison.

Here was our route:
Hwy 50 across Nevada to Ely. Heading into Utah we found our way to Hwy 24 south to Capitol Reef and then Hwy 95 to Blanding. Next was Hwy 491 to Hwy 141 to Hwy 97 to Hwy 92.

Our map: https://goo.gl/maps/KGbrWbKABBn

·
Registered
33 Posts
Grew up on the other side of the mountains and about an hour from Gunnison.

What everyone else said, pack warm clothes. I've watched 4th of July fireworks in a snowstorm, Colorado altitude can be temperamental.

As far as a route, If I were doing it I would go through southern Utah and end up in Durango, cut north to Montrose on the Million-Dollar Hwy. (550), over to Gunnison and then on the way out go over Monarch to Salida, north out of there on 285 through Buena-Vista. From there you can cut over Independence through Aspen, or go up through Leadville and take battle mountian past red cliff to minturn. From there I would cut back on 70 and go through Moab, and get back on the route you came back on.

Just remember August in Colorado will be stop and go traffic pretty much everywhere, especially around Aspen/I-70. Not "fairly busy, slow going", Independence pass on a weekend in August you probably won't get over 10-20mph. Stop and go.

I can tell you some places that won't have traffic and are beautiful roads to ride, but they are very out of the way, and aren't very "touristy", but still in my opinion some of the most beautiful spots. (See: Naturita/Uravan/Gateway/Grand Junction, or Salida/ Cotopaxi/Westcliffe/Walsenburg/Alamosa.)

Westcliffe, CO born and raised so I know the area fairly well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it helps and thank you much for your advises. I do plan to take my time and smell the roses when needed...and relax...Thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Scott...Looks like I would catch up with your route around or between Defat and Salina on Hwy 50...Thanks again for sending the map link....Can't wait

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tamaren. Nothing better than the locals to ask for directions and advise. I will certainly look up your ideas for the trip. I can't wait to see all of theses beautiful mountains. I lived in Denver years back but did not have bike then. Cheers and thank you again for all the ideas...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like you went to the Laguna Seca race mid July maybe? I go to Carmel often to visit family...I love this area..I have yet to go to the race with the Ducati group. I was going to this year but going to France visit family and friends...For sure next year in July I will be there...Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts