Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to give my bike a good tune up and get ready for the season. A buddy of mine has had a lot of Ducaties suggested that I use this product called hy-per lube at my oil change. Said it makes the bike shift a lot better and seems to run better. Anyone tried this stuff?

And my next question is the age old question asked of every bike--- What oil should I run in this bike?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
HY-per lube. Not KY-Lube lol Spell check got me on the title. Got a buddy that has a few Ducaties and swears by this stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm no scientist but I'm going to go say that ducati motors will run just fine with the $17/quart oil ducati recommends. I highly doubt adding a supplement will make any sort of positive change.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No oil supplements necessary. There's no way to know what they contain or predict what they will do for clutch and variable cam systems. There's nothing an oil supplement will do that the oil won't already do on it's own. There's as many different oil recommendations as there are members on the forum. If you don't want to decide then just go with the Shell Advance 15W 50

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
My 15 has always shifted like butter as long as I'm not too soft on it (couple easy false neutral spots)... I just use the expensive Motul stuff that was available in the US before the Shell Advance became available.

On the DVT bikes I'd personally not use any aftermarket treatments - the oil is somehow a part of the DVT action and adding something that the mfgr hasn't tested is probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
678 Posts
FWIW.......I’ve used 4 different oils in my ‘12 MTS, running UOA’s on all of them and have run Amsoil for the last 65,000+ miles. The last UOA, done at 100,000 miles, was perfect! Also using Amsoil filters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
IMHO. Beware of any oil additive (snake oil) in a wet clutch application. If the clutch starts slipping it gets expensive fast. Only use an approved specification oil. Oil is cheap compared to Italian parts made of unobtanium.
Cheers

·
Registered
678 Posts
Way back, when I was a youngster drag racing my ‘68 Chevelle, with a LS7 in it, the Chevy Hi-Perf bible stated, in bold print: DO NOT USE OIL ADDITIVES! Amsoil, Motu, etc also say the same thing. So.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW: I have not put many miles on this bike. Probably about 500. BUT- When I first got it the thing would give me a false neutral and it would even pop out of gear. (Happened twice)

Now I've either learned how to ride this bike a Lot better or this additive actually did help. Because ever since I added this snake oil the bike has shifted flawlessly. It is what it is.....

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
FWIW: I have not put many miles on this bike. Probably about 500. BUT- When I first got it the thing would give me a false neutral and it would even pop out of gear. (Happened twice)

Now I've either learned how to ride this bike a Lot better or this additive actually did help. Because ever since I added this snake oil the bike has shifted flawlessly. It is what it is.....
Popping out of gear (when it's fully engaged) won't be fixed by an additive... that's a mechanical problem (pretty rare... probably means something very bad is happening). Generally it happens because you don't get it fully into gear and when you release the clutch it pops back (or if like me you often don't use the clutch once moving then you've not gotten it fully into the next gear). False neutrals can sometimes be fixed with adjustments but generally you just have to be more deliberate.

I had a number of false neutrals early on with my bike (between 4 and 5 most often) but they went away when I put some umph into my shifts (which you get trained to do without really noticing).

·
Registered
3 Posts
i stick with handbook:

It is recommended to use oil complying with the following specifications:
  • viscosity grade SAE 15W-50;
  • standard API: SN;
  • standard JASO: MA2
<<<

JASO is important for cluch in oil.

HTH

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
FWIW.......I’ve used 4 different oils in my ‘12 MTS, running UOA’s on all of them and have run Amsoil for the last 65,000+ miles. The last UOA, done at 100,000 miles, was perfect! Also using Amsoil filters.
Which Amsoil?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts