Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
I will take another approach, Bring it on!
If a motorcycle company owned ducati instead of a car company they would maybe look more at making bikes instead of two wheel cars. Yes I know it could go bad but I see it not getting worse than it is now. Ducati should do the styling and KTM handles the money and design philosophy. I know that as a mechanic if a new Ducati and a new KTM rolled into the shop the KTM is much preferred to work on.

I think KTM is much like BMW in styling (efficient but ugly) so I would hope that could improve. If they kept the two separate but shared secrets in engineering they could challenge the world.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I will take another approach, Bring it on!
If a motorcycle company owned ducati instead of a car company they would maybe look more at making bikes instead of two wheel cars. Yes I know it could go bad but I see it not getting worse than it is now. Ducati should do the styling and KTM handles the money and design philosophy. I know that as a mechanic if a new Ducati and a new KTM rolled into the shop the KTM is much preferred to work on.

I think KTM is much like BMW in styling (efficient but ugly) so I would hope that could improve. If they kept the two separate but shared secrets in engineering they could challenge the world.
Just curious, why is the KTM preferred to work on?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,368 Posts
I'm fine with an Indian owed (and controlled) Ducati. It's preferable to KTM taking control of the company. Look at what Tata has done with Land Rover and Jaguar. Both are making some of the best vehicles they've ever made. Bajaj would be good stewards. Tata even better.

I think KTM would combine operations and before you know it, Ducati isn't what we've come to expect from them in terms of product. Would the desmo valve system cease to exist? And how does Ducati's DNA of high performance fit in with KTM's belief that they don't belong on the road? Would the V4 have ever made it out of the planning room? It just seems like a really strange fit. I don't see it working.

·
comrade moderator
27,337 Posts
Isn't KTM owned by Bajaj in India? https://www.bajajauto.com/

That would put Ducati's parent Company in India. How many of you guys want an Indian owned Ducati?
Not true. Bajaj owns 47.9% of KTM. KTM is still in charge.

And I predictably think it's a terrific idea. :)

I think KTM would combine operations and before you know it, Ducati isn't what we've come to expect from them in terms of product. Would the desmo valve system cease to exist? And how does Ducati's DNA of high performance fit in with KTM's belief that they don't belong on the road? Would the V4 have ever made it out of the planning room? It just seems like a really strange fit. I don't see it working.
What motor configuration do you think KTM is racing in MotoGP? Why would they buy a company like Ducati only to dilute their core product? Ducati reaches markets KTM can't. It's a perfect fit. Anyhoo, who said Ducati is for sale?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,368 Posts
What KTM has on the (road) race track doesn't really have any bearing on what we see here in the States. All their big bikes are nakeds or adventure. Their small bikes are probably popular overseas, but in what do they put a V4? I don't understand the reference to the MotoGP bike.

And why would they even want Ducati? To sell sportbikes? I think they can handle that on their own if they want to.

·
Premium Member
5,445 Posts
Just curious, why is the KTM preferred to work on?
Of the street KTM's I work on the KTM's just do less stupid assembly for assembly's sake. I think it may be the dirt bike heritage from them in that most dirt bikers do most maintenance themselves so they give you better instructions in the manuals (even owners) and the bikes have fewer "hidden screws" . On a multi or ST series there are body panels that have hidden screws which means to get panel "A" off you need to remove panels "B" and "C" first. WTF! Back many years ago this was the joke the Japanese companies played on us in that to get the front left turn signal off you started by removing the right rear turn signal. This is now Ducati, all do it to some extent but after working on better designs for decades you see there is no need for it.

From the KTM side of things I see a great opportunity because KTM street bikes are worse than Aprilias when it comes to brand respect. They can be the best bikes you have never ridden in part because they have very little interest in selling street bikes at the dealer level and the street lineup is so thin who would open a street only shop (yes I would). If the dealer network grew to Ducati size I think there would be many more KTM street bikes sold, if the brands merged then that part is done and sales should grow considerably.
Especially if the Italians can Un-Ugly some of the designs.

I have worked on and owned Ducatis from the Cagiva owned era to the TPG era Back to the Italian owned era and now VW/Audi owned, I see no dig deal if they become owned by the Indians,Russians or Martians. Who ever buys them will only own them for a short while and they you all can have your chance. >:)

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
@ducvet take apart a SDGT and you might change your mind. The plastics on it are equally dumb as any Ducati. Hidden screws? Yep. Wonky fitment? Yep. Lots of cursing? Double yep. Parts are crammed everywhere to try to just make it work. Some of it is thought out, some, not at all.

I will say that as frustrating as it is to get parts and accessories for a Ducati, it was much worse when I tried out the orange. It took 6 months to get a top case for their sport touring bike. Once I had it, I noticed that all of the manufacturing molding dates were 8 months old. WTF?! My general opinion of the company was they have no management. Things may or may not get done, and definitely not on an schedule. This is something that has improved tremendously with Ducati while owned by VAG. They aren't perfect, but a hell of a lot better than they used to be. I'd hate to see that undone.

Reactions: SO FUN

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I will say that as frustrating as it is to get parts and accessories for a Ducati, it was much worse when I tried out the orange. It took 6 months to get a top case for their sport touring bike. Once I had it, I noticed that all of the manufacturing molding dates were 8 months old. WTF?! My general opinion of the company was they have no management. Things may or may not get done, and definitely not on an schedule.
Yep. An acquaintance of mine was so psyched to get a KTM SDGT, and then he was even more psyched to get rid of it. :( Beyond nonexistent and/or poorly made parts, he had one major problem after another to the point it was stupid. Made my Ducati seem as solid as a Honda Civic in comparison. On top that, KTM has a weak warranty where they may not cover the electronics - just the motor and frame - or something to that effect. In any case, KTM doesn't give one the impression that they really stand behind their products. And, finally, there's that total money grab scheme in which for XXX $$$ more, KTM will "unlock" more of the bike's features after break-in. :mad:

As much as I want to like a 1290 R or GT - if I could ever get used that origami styling - KTM as a company leave a lot to be desired. I would not consider KTM to be a savior for Ducati at this point.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I couldn't agree more. That sums up my experience with it. Lots of problems. They didn't stand behind it. In the end I was finally able to get the cams replaced under warranty, but not without a fight and discovering the one guy at KTM that can get shit done.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm fine with an Indian owed (and controlled) Ducati.
I'm not. I'm just sick and tired of foreigners buying our prized companies. Ducati should remain Italian.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts