Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just banging my head here. :think:

My 996 clutch master is gathering a lot of residue. It is not leaking yet, and I want to fix it before it starts leaking or gets damaged.

I talked with Steve at Bevelheaven and Yoyodyne. Both noted that the solid pivot MCs have no kits available.

I remember some folks here mentioned that KTM supplies Brembo kits. Does anyone have a link for these parts / information? It'd be nice to avoid the parts counter at the local KTM shop. They were clueless the last time I was there.

I also read that Brembo will rebuild these as a service. Does anyone have info on that? Their website is useless, IMHO.

Finally, the last time I disassembled my old MC, I destroyed the boot and seal ring. I'm wondering if there is a non-destructive way to do this. Like maybe a blunted nail / wooden dowel back through the banjo port. I'm certain that the issue is just one of the seals. I might be able to source that if I can do it right.

Please let me know.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I seem to recall in the sticky about alt parts there was one post with part numbers for Brembo.
Yup page 2 post #19

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. And, Duh! to me. =)

Now, I just need to find a compatible 13mm. Any KTM riders out there??

Have a good one.

·
comrade moderator
26,970 Posts
Thanks. And, Duh! to me. =)

Now, I just need to find a compatible 13mm. Any KTM riders out there??

Have a good one.
13mm what? If I'm on the same page...I'm not sure if a KTM Clutch M/C rebuild kit will help you. KTM uses Mineral Oil in the clutch hydraulic system, so a major flush and cleaning of the entire system would be in order so no Dot 3 can get in there and melt the o-rings.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Stick.

The lack of a compatible kit part number is one of the biggest issues. I've seen it 'posted' that any 12mm or 13mm kit will work as the seals are the same with the same model range. I'd have to at least disassemble mine to know that. I'd be willing to do so if I knew that it wouldn't permanently damage the internals (or if I had a second freakin' bike! 8) ).

I will try pinging OPP with my part number, though, and see if they can cross-reference it.

Thanks again for the lead.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah crap! Sorry, Chuck. I see that I didn't mention the size in the original post. I need a 13mm rebuild kit for a 996 gold line clutch master cylinder.

Here's mine:
Clutch 13mm M/Cl- Gold W/ Silver Adj Lever 996 Type - Brembo

Thanks for the info on the KTM fluid. Any idea if there is there a difference between a 13mm brake kit and a 13mm clutch kit? I can imagine both answers.

I would have no issue going the mineral oil route if I can find a workable kit.

Have a good one.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
My MC on my ST3 is also the solid pivot and is non-rebuildable. From my conversation with Steve at Bevel Heaven, there is a metal (aluminum?) washer that is pressed into the MC at the factory. If one were adventurous, this washer could be driven out with a drift from the opening where the banjo bolt is secured and a new one pressed into place after the internals are replaced. Sounds doable...but my concern would be scoring the MC bore while removing the washer. I opted for buying a new 12 MC...one for a 996.

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,

Here's the original saga with the original MC:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/82414-clutch-master-rebuild.html

Steve at Bevelheaven was great on that first go, but I waited too long and had further issues. So, I picked up some 996 masters also. Although, my clutch is definitely 13mm. Sadly, I should have more use than about 2yrs/20,000mi out of the new master.

As you can see in the linked pic, the ST4 MC was retained by a metal band (next to the pin). It was located outside of the bore, outside of the dust boot actually, and was the only part retaining the system beyond the lever pin.

This is why I "think" that I could do what your suggesting, unless there is some sort of internal band and the construction is different than in the pic. I just don't know. If I am hosed into a new MC, I promise to pop this one and post up the explosion, esp as there are no other pics that I can seem to find but I do see some folks asking for pics.

As for the whole liability issue that Brembo is hanging on to: yeah, folks mess up lever installations all the time. But I'm sorry, there is nothing to screw up if you do the reading first. Hell, they could put a massive sticker on the case that says how to adjust to pivot. It certainly ain't rocket science.

Have a good one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts