Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attached (hopefully) are pics of my PP with a Kriega US-20 Tail pack. I was looking for a tail pack that went on/off easily. Kriega makes a smaller 10L version I also have and a larger 30L. Waterproof and very well made.

What I like about the tail pack is that the attachment is just 4 small loops on the existing rack. I take them off when not using the pack (takes all of 30 secs) but you can easily leave them on. Waterproof and this is a good size for me - that is packed with gym shoes/clothes, climbing shoes, chalk bag and harness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7104075019/

·
Registered
146 Posts
tail pack

I like it. What did you pay?

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it. What did you pay?
Kriega is quality but not cheap - the US-20 was about $160-170. I also have their 25L backpack.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Kriega is quality but not cheap - the US-20 was about $160-170. I also have their 25L backpack.
I've had that exact setup for a bit over 2 years now. I swear by my US-20 on trips, and use my R25 almost every time I ride. It doesn't budge once it's secured and I've had to ride through some pretty fierce rain a few times, but nothing got wet. It's great equipment. I'm looking at adding a US-10 with the new alloy straps to my collection. I also have the tankbag adapter and will be looking to use that with the 10 after swapping the straps from my 20.

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks good, but I got a question for you. It seems like it straps over the top of the bag, or does it attach on the bottom of each side? I'd think if it does attach and tighten over the top, stuff inside would get all squished.
Yes, straps over the top. I like it because most of the roads here are twisty and I don't want things to move. But yes, if you put your bag 'o chips in there you could have a bag 'o crumbs by lunch :)

Aaron

·
Pulsating L-Twin Member
140 Posts
Same exact set-up here, but I've never combined the backpack and tailbag, which they are designed to (optionally) do. I use the 20 as a tailbag over my topcase rack when the case is not in use (most of the time). Because it is a bit fiddly to get stuff in and out (compared to a more traditional zippered tailbag), I use it to carry a first aid kit, tools, a reflective vest, a bivvy sack, some nitrile gloves, and a flashlight -- basically all the stuff you hope you'll never need, but will be glad to have if you do. Yes, it will act like a stuff sack and compress whatever's in there, but the upside is that the load doesn't shift around and everything stays put.

A quick word about the (25) pack: it is an amazing piece of kit -- once you try it, you'll never want to ride with a regular daypack-type backpack again -- it really is that good. Somehow, they've engineered the thing to transfer just about all of the weight from the shoulder straps down to your hips, resulting in less fatigue, neck/shoulder strain, and what feels like a lower CoG. The only (minor) downside is that it won't hang onto you once you release the 2 quick-release (parachute looking) clips on the front, but you can sling it over one shoulder for walking around off the bike. The upside to this system is that the load does not shift around in transitions (L > R > L etc.) AT ALL, especially if you take the time to cynch down the straps that snug everything up. It is very stable, and unless you're carrying an anvil back there, it really does feel like you're not wearing it at all while you're riding. Anyway, that's my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts