Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with these companies on their road bikes. I was thinking of getting the Smart Chain and titanium sprockets. They say they have products for all Ducati models, but they aren't listed.

http://sidewindersprockets.com/v-series_smart_chain.html

They also recommend a chain tensile strength for 1000cc+ bikes ranging from 12,000-16,000 lbs. That seems relatively high compared with other chain manufacturer recommendations. Also, that probably is meant for inline 4s cranking out 120-160 hp, which we ain't even close too.

What do you think? Thanks.

R

·
Registered
165 Posts
I used them on my 4 wheeler and was not impressed.Went back to x-ring with sprocket specialties.Thay been around for awhile and might be ok on the street.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
how long do the "self lubing" o-ring lube themselves???

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I put a call into them this morning and the sales guy couldn't give me all the information relative to running them on the Hyper. He more or less stuck to reading the information off the website, which didn't answer my questions. He was going to have a technical advisor call me back. I wanted to say that a couple of my old dirt bikes had Krause chains back in the day. Don't recall having any problems, so they are probably good products.

However, he told me depending upon the tensile strength of the chain I chose it would run $400-430 for both sprockets and a chain, with the chain running $169 or so. I don't think I am going to invest that much, as I only get about 3500 miles in a year anyway.

The Sprocket Center has a nice DID, Supersprox rear, Afam front 520 combo for around $300, so I will probably do that setup or something similar from Drive Systems.

I am not sure about the stock DID chain, as it started throwing o-rings at about 3500 miles and with 4000+ miles, I know see a few more hanging out. Never seen this on any o-ring chain I have had and several were DID. I do regular chain maintenance and use Motorex lube and we have a pretty clean road environment here in Arizona. Other than some typical dust accumulation this thing hasn't seen much harsh conditions. I think someone from down under posted a similar issue with similar mileage. Maybe its the hot weather contributing.

I may opt for an RK, just to mix it up a bit.

Out!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
axe,i have the the sidewinder sprockets on my crf 450 cuz after i put thr bigbore 510 stroker kit i am pushing bout 78 hp to the rear and it was tearn through renthals like they were going out of style.since the sidewinder i started tearing through chains once every season.i only ride this beast at the dunes but i guess you would need the smart chain to go with the ti moly sprocket.that i never did jus used the did chain.on the hyper i went with the 520 conversion from drive systems with mpl quick change carrier and mpl titanium sprocket and works great almost 4000 miles and looks great!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Axe,

Do the Supersprox with DID ERV3 gold. This chain is very strong and wears excellent. 3,000 miles of hard acceleration so far on mine. The supersprox is also a quality item

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stay the hell away from Sidewinder/ Krause. Their products are overpriced and their customer service is the worst in the business.
Their chains suck, their sprockets are OK but so are the steel sprockets of all their competitors (and they sell for half or less...).

Try Supersprox instead.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You need to buy a Stealth Sprocket... Aluminum center with steel teeth. Maximum weight savings while maintaining durability. I had 2 on my monster and they held up great. As for the chain, go with the x-ring.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have had good luck with the RK chains. I used to run the RK 520XMO and Renthal sprockets on my Superbike. 150HP and 85 ft/lbs at the rear wheel running slicks and I would have to adjust the chain about every 3rd or 4th race weekend. I thought that was pretty good considering the abuse I was giving it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did get a call back from Sidewinder's tech guy last week, but I missed it. I am gonna call him back to ask some questions.

The Sprocket Center told me they would do a package deal with the RK chain too. I am probably going to go with something from them. They said that anything they didn't have in stock wouldn't take long to get, so even if it isn't on their website they could get it.

Out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts