Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Ducati ST2 1998
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2nd bad lead acid battery in 4 years, both tendered on a new CTEK charger, i just purchased a Shido lithium battery and a Optimate charger for lithium batteries at 135€ + 55€.
Although the Shido LB16AL-A2 was supposed to be the right replacement for the original YB16AL-A2, it was not a simple swap. The Shido is definitely smaller, and the pads supplied with it don't help to secure it into the original basket. I adapted the top bracket (added 2 extensions) to get it tightened. Secondly the holes provided in the poles were just 5,2mm; had to hand drill both to accommodate the old 6mm bolts as the Shido didn’t come with any bolts…

Anyhow, we more or less know what the pro’s and con’s are, we’ll see how the technology performs in the ST2.
The RR has been replaced at some point, no complaints there, but with the new battery installed, I thought I’d drop in a 2 pole voltage meter (digital) to monitor the system. What seemed to be one of the more simple jobs has me puzzled for 2 days, as I can’t seem to find a proper wire to hook up the +. Preferably not a permanent hot wire. Ducati did a nice job here, the only wire that is more or less exposed is the one feeding the headlamp. Connecting the meter there would give me lower readings. Any suggestions on where and how to connect my Koso voltmeter?

Thx
Filip (Belgium)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would think the Power drain would be insignificant, about the same as a LCD clock so connecting straight to the battery should not be a problem. This is the only place where you will get a true reading from.

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
If you’re concerned about having the meter always on when connecting straight to the battery, use a relay that gets its trigger voltage from a switched source...like the heated grips (not sure if that was an option for the ST2).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Ducati ST2 1998
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Koso voltmeter is installed. Wired + to the fuse of the brake light/horn.
Readings at idle 13V with lights, 13,5V without. At average revs i get a steady 13,6-13,7V with headlight, 14,2V without.

You can also see in the picture i just hit 60.000km. Hope the engine can offer me some more...

Cheers
Filip

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts