Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a friend who has a 98 Duc 748 that has been having problems.

Recently the bike makes a loud ticking/clunking noise when he downshifts when slowing at a light. Also it bucks back and forth slighty at the same time.

Any ideas on what this might be??

·
Registered
11 Posts
did your friend mention anything happening prior to when it started bucking? Has he kept up on the maintenance and how many miles are on it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did your friend mention anything happening prior to when it started bucking? Has he kept up on the maintenance and how many miles are on it?
No nothing happened before that, we were riding pretty hard a couple days before but everything was fine then. He's got about 12k on it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
If by bucking you mean it is surging back and forth, my guess is that the bike has the original chain on it, the 520 chain is shot, and the inconsistency in chain stretch has one side much longer than another causing the surging. The clicking noise can be the chain and sprockets from the worn chain, or he tightened the chain on the more worn section and it is causing a bind when the tighter section is between the two sprockets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If by bucking you mean it is surging back and forth, my guess is that the bike has the original chain on it, the 520 chain is shot, and the inconsistency in chain stretch has one side much longer than another causing the surging. The clicking noise can be the chain and sprockets from the worn chain, or he tightened the chain on the more worn section and it is causing a bind when the tighter section is between the two sprockets.
Not sure if it's the original chain or not. He just bought it a couple of months ago. He hasn't tightened or messed with the chain. Someone he was talking to said it sounded like it might be some kind of clutch adjustment that he needed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing i forgot to mention is that, when he pulls the clutch it, it doesnt make the noise or jerk back and forth...not sure if that changes anything?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I hope your friend bought a bike with the proper maintenance performed and paperwork to prove it. As you are really not giving us much to work with.

As a 748 that has been flogged for 12k miles without proper maintenance could be on the verge of blowing up, quite simple, I've seen quite a few of blown-up 748's mostly because of "lack of proper maintenance". This aint no Jap bike.....

And if the is no paperwork I suggest you tell "your friend" to get this bike to a knowledgeable Ducati shop for a full service now, normally about a grand $$ for a service. Oherwise risk it, as you may turn it over to the salvage yard when she blows.....

As the early bikes loved to eat valve Rockers. I've seen them look good at 6k total miles, and then at 10k total miles be "gone" along with the cams.

Please do not allow your "friend" to treat this 748 like a Jap bike, 748's are becoming sarce!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
177 Posts
never listen to anybody who doesn t know anythiong about ducatis and telling you about clutches
You are correct. I know nothing about Ducati's and especially the 748. Thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hi, I have a friend who has a 98 Duc 748 that has been having problems.

Recently the bike makes a loud ticking/clunking noise when he downshifts when slowing at a light. Also it bucks back and forth slighty at the same time.

Any ideas on what this might be??
It's Italian.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hope your friend bought a bike with the proper maintenance performed and paperwork to prove it. As you are really not giving us much to work with.

As a 748 that has been flogged for 12k miles without proper maintenance could be on the verge of blowing up, quite simple, I've seen quite a few of blown-up 748's mostly because of "lack of proper maintenance". This aint no Jap bike.....

And if the is no paperwork I suggest you tell "your friend" to get this bike to a knowledgeable Ducati shop for a full service now, normally about a grand $$ for a service. Oherwise risk it, as you may turn it over to the salvage yard when she blows.....

As the early bikes loved to eat valve Rockers. I've seen them look good at 6k total miles, and then at 10k total miles be "gone" along with the cams.

Please do not allow your "friend" to treat this 748 like a Jap bike, 748's are becoming sarce!

Cheers,
Mark
I dont appreciate you implying that this is not my "friends" bike. If I had a Ducati that was acting up, I wouldn't have a problem telling people it was mine...I own a Jap bike and proud of it :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
You are correct. I know nothing about Ducati's and especially the 748. Thanks for the warm welcome!
hey, it s true. I get so many people asking me if my bike is bad and me having to tell them it s adry clutch
2) you obviously know your shit, you have a service manual so my statement doesn t apply to you
3) i meant my statement in general, not you specifically

1 - 15 of 15 Posts