Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am hearing the same sound in my 620. But mine is also idling at like 950-1000 so I'm hoping when I bring it in tomorrow they can adjust it and maybe that will fix the knocking? Either way. I just bought the thing from the dealership one week ago and I called them the next business day and told them there was a problem so I am really hoping they work with me.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
you both don't have to worry, this knocking is a typcial ducati clutch sound.

cheers.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
+3 all my bikes make that sound.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try a clutch cover that is vented so you allways here it. All you ever hear is "Is that thing ok whats that sound" on top of it get an SP with the free floating front rotors, Then you will hear "I think you need new rotors man, I can wiggle them." lol I should write "The sound you are hearing from this clutch cover, and from the front rotors is normal, GO AWAY!!!" right on the outside of my clutch cover.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
don't believe them, your clutch needs oiling. about a pint or so of marvel mistery oil will fix it for good. then don't forget to add two liters of NOS sport drink to your gas tank. joking!!

I just tell folks that my Ducati is a diesel. always good for a strange look! or just look back at them with a worried look on your face and say "do you think I should add oil?"

seriously, eventually you may notice the clacking getting way worse. if you pull off the clutch cover you can take a look at both the plates and the basket. if you see large dents in the clutch plate tabs and or in the basket where the tabs fit you may need to replace them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
When it stops knocking and you haven't pulled the clutch lever is the time to start worrying. ;)

BTW, just how loud were those damn pipes if they covered up the noise of the clutch :eek:

·
Registered
537 Posts
hallo,

i had the same whit the 916 i just bought,we took the clutch out so we could here the engine better,and the noise was gone.

henk!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
would this hold true on a 2013 Monster 696? i can hear a very fait knocking sound when in Neutral and my clutch out? when i pull it in the sound is gone.

THanks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Normal for dry clutches. However, as the bike warms up the knocking sound should soften a bit. If the sound remains a sharp knocking after fully warmed then it might be worth having a tech check it out. Ducati dry clutches need looking after to work (and sound) their best, but in general knocking in neutral is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Normal for dry clutches. However, as the bike warms up the knocking sound should soften a bit. If the sound remains a sharp knocking after fully warmed then it might be worth having a tech check it out. Ducati dry clutches need looking after to work (and sound) their best, but in general knocking in neutral is nothing to worry about.
My 2013 Monster 696 is a wet clutch, should this still be happening. its a very fait knock. is that just a ducati thing??

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
wet clutches make a little noise, but nothing like a dry clutch. well, maybe until they get a lot of km on them anyway. but even then it shouldn't be like a dry clutch.

it's all degrees of interpretation. if we could all stand next to it, we could give you a definitive answer.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Mine's been sounding like that for close on 10k km's (from new), can't pinpoint it to the clutch though, these engines are noisy, just rev it up a bit and you'll forget about it.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Just one more good reason why Ducatis shouldn't have mufflers.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I pulled up next to a Harley rider not but a week ago at a stop light. I toed neutral and let it bang and slap. Gads mine sounds like it is about to come out and cut off my leg. The rider looked at me a couple of times before mentioning it. He asked if i could hear it.

"sure, just waiting for it to blow up so i can fix it all at one time. Damn thing won't die!"

And left a little hockey stick on the pavement as i left him slack jawed... 2000 miles and $25,000 do not a rider make !

Enjoy the ride Amigo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
There are a couple of different sounds that you will hear. The one that everyone is replying about in regard to the clutch, are the clutch plates slapping back and forth in the clutch basket. These are higher pitched and get worse as the clutch basket wears. They are only heard when the clutch is engaged as that is the only time that they are loose enought to move about.

The deeper knock that you hear when the clutch is disengaged are the the transmission gears. Since the v-twin idle pulses are much further apart than on any 4 cylinder, you can actually hear as each pulse hits the driven shaft of the transmission and makes it "knock" against the output shaft and gears. This noise will lessen or subside altogether when the clutch is engaged as the this stops, or significantly slows, the transmission. As tolerances have gotten tighter over the years, the noise has decreased, which is why you hear is a lot more on the older bikes than the newer ones. Additionally, the water cooled bikes are better at absorbing sound, so you won't hear it nearly as much on the water cooled Ducatis, although it is still there if you listen.

Bottom line, it is nothing to worry about unless it changes significantly in a short period of time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts