Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally had my first street crash today. I was riding at a decent pace, scraping my boots, but not my knee, which made me say to myself "I really need to get some rearsets." Anyhoo, decreasing radius turn on an unfamiliar road surprised me, so I leaned it some more and gave it some gas and I guess that was too much. The front end washed out and we went sliding.

Luckily a giant boulder stopped our progress. Otherwise it would have been down a 20 foot ravine and into a pile of shredded metal someone had discarded.

Bike is f'd up but I don't think it's a total. Rear wheel bent and stuck to the swingarm. Left side controls all broken. Hand guards, of course, are trash. Can't find the instrument cluster. All the plastics have some degree of damage from missing to light scratches.

I'm ok, thanks for asking. ;) Just some tight muscles and two puncture wounds on my legs (not quite sure how those happened) that required a few stitches.

Now the important part...the gear. A-stars boots did their job, but they're now trash. Ditto for the gloves. My less than 24 hours old Shoei X11 didn't really take a hit, but I'm still going to ship it off the Shoei to see if I can still use it. My Joe Rocket leathers performed ok. I was only on the pavement for a second or two so it's hard to say how they would have done in a real crash. I've got a little roadrash on my thigh and knee and the stitching in the forearm looks like it just popped out in a 5 inch section.

Thanks in advance for the well-wishing. Really just wanted to share my thoughts on the gear. Thank heavens I wasn't wearing jeans or something stupid like that.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Glad to hear your ok. That sucks about your bike hope your insurance company has back on the road soon.

·
comrade moderator
26,824 Posts
Rear wheel bent and stuck to the swingarm. Left side controls all broken. Hand guards, of course, are trash. Can't find the instrument cluster. All the plastics have some degree of damage from missing to light scratches.
Glad you're okay. I'd imagine the bike is totaled. :(

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike.Congratulations on walking away and telling us about it the same day.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ditto - glad you're ok. Your bike sounds like it may be a total. Wait to see what your adjuster says but look it over carefully. The deeper i looked at mine the more wrong I found. Like the rear shock bolt being sheared off!!! My frame and subframe were bent and the wheels scratched up. And of course most of the right side shit was gone. Mine was totaled. It may be a better way to go for peace of mind as well.;)

Cheers

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm glad that you're okay and able to tell the tale. ATGATT definitely helped your hard and soft parts. Heal up and get back out there!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Glad you are OK. Hope your back at it soon.

Nobody ever thinks about this at the time, because a crash really shakes you up and makes your head fuzzy. However, if you bike looks to be in pretty tough shape, you may as well shove it over the edge or have the tow truck driver back over it before he loads it up.

I have never had a crash on the street on my bike or truck and have only had a couple minor claims for break in damage over the years. However, if I crash my Duc I am gonna soak the insurance company for all I can get. If I am in good enough shape myself, I will be pulling parts right before it goes over the edge. :think:

Out!

·
Registered
68 Posts
How'd it happen?

Hey there, happy to hear your ok. I recently had a scare in Glendora Ca. much like your own but fortunately when I goosed it the front end gripped again right before I slammed into a canyon wall at 65! You said the font washed out right? Did the rear brake out at all or just the front? By any chance did you have your suspension dialed in for your weight and riding stile? I ask more for the sake of learning from my own and others experiences. Thanks for the info and good luck with the insurance co.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Glad you're okay. I'd imagine the bike is totaled. :(
I reckon the same, nice to know you were able to type out a post which usually indicates you are ok.

Best for getting sorted mate.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Glad you're OK.
Your attitude is great.
F' the bike, that's why we have insurance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey there, happy to hear your ok. I recently had a scare in Glendora Ca. much like your own but fortunately when I goosed it the front end gripped again right before I slammed into a canyon wall at 65! You said the font washed out right? Did the rear brake out at all or just the front? By any chance did you have your suspension dialed in for your weight and riding stile? I ask more for the sake of learning from my own and others experiences. Thanks for the info and good luck with the insurance co.
All great questions, and since you want to learn, I'll share the embarrassing truth.

No, I never touched the suspension; a fact that I am ashamed to admit.

As far as the front or rear breaking loose, I'm not 100% sure which went first. I saw the turn get tighter as it came into my field of vision, thought I was going to make it but knew I had to try, so I dropped my shoulder further into the turn and gave it a little gas. If I had to guess, I'd say the front end washed out first. I've spun up the rear going through and out of turns before and this didn't feel anything like that. One second all was well and the next the bike and I are sliding and the second after that I'm on my back on the shoulder with my head resting on the front wheel.

And the biggest bitch of it all? Turns out I got into some poison ivy somehow during the crash.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally was able to get an estimate, so I thought I'd give an update. The first total I got was $3800, which seemed exceptionally low considering the rear wheel alone is $2k. I brought the shop my instrument panel today and they added that into the estimate, along with some stuff they missed at first look. The final estimate?

$7800+change, and that doesn't include labor.

Now I'm just waiting to hear if it's going to be totaled. If it is...great, I'm picking up a new bike on Saturday. If not, that's great, too, because I can use the repair money to mod the Hyper.

So what do you think? 2008 Hypermotard S...totaled or not?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts