Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into oil and filters and have seen nothing but bad reviews on Amazon for the KN153 saying that the flange has been changed and no longer works. I'm wondering if this is an Amazon thing or if I were to go to Autozone, etc... would their filters work? I've bought SD cards off of Amazon for them to only be fakes/not as advertised and I know they don't control what products are listed either. The reviews however go back to at least 2016, and after picking up my bike back in November last year I can see it still has a KN153 on it and the PO said it was changed "recently".

If the flange is still good then I'll just head to AZ/Advance locally and not wait for shipping. Just curious to know if it indeed has changed or if people are getting ripped off from Amazon.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,183 Posts
This was a K&N production issue. The depth of where the threads started to contact the oil filter nipple was increased at some point during a redesign. I honestly can't tell you if it's been corrected or not. I've been using the HiFlofiltro 153 filters with the built-in nut like the K&N without any problems.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to give those a try then. Everything seems good and they're roughly the same cost.

Curious sine it's in the section, what oil have you been running for your 749?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,183 Posts
Ah. An oil thread now! Be prepared for battle. Everyone has their opinion and will fight to the death about it. I've been bouncing around with my oil choices lately. Just find any oil that meets the requirements in grade and classification and you should be good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, I hope not. The Shell advanced is too much for this old of a bike but I have been bouncing between the 15W T6 and Mobile 1 10w40. I don't live in an area where temps go below freezing often, and summers don't go past high 90s.

It is so confusing to see what is needed for both dry/wet clutch bikes, the certifications to look for, and what additives are best to have with it. I appreciate the recommendation though for the filter.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
I don’t care much about which brand name oil I use. I only buy name brand and use whatever is in my cabinet. But....When it comes to motorcycles that share engine and trans oil I use Motul. It shifts better. Old Motul still shifts better than new anything else.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don’t care much about which brand name oil I use. I only buy name brand and use whatever is in my cabinet. But....When it comes to motorcycles that share engine and trans oil I use Motul. It shifts better. Old Motul still shifts better than new anything else.
That's mostly the big complaint I find, but it never goes into specifics as to what they are defining better. Is it a more positive click into gear or something else? On my R6, I'm unsure as to what the PO had used (I'm guessing Yamalube) but compared to the Duc it had a super positive click through all gears. From neutral to first the bike would lunge forwards at time (which I'm starting to think was clutch drag now?) but even clicking with the bike off it was easy to feel a gear shift. The 999 so far is very light on gear changes and I'd rather it be a little bit more forceful.

·
Registered
6,552 Posts
With my 900SS I sometimes miss the 4-5 shift more than the rest, it required a more deliberate motion, or maybe a little more toe movement ? I noticed I missed more shifts with my SS than other bikes I’ve ridden. When I switched to Motul I found I wasn’t missing shifts as often. I don’t know what was in my Monster when I bought it. It shifted perfectly. After I did an oil change, it felt not as precise, felt like maybe a little more effort was required, I missed the occasional shift. Next oil change, I used Motul. Good shifting returned. Not a scientific study at all, but enough positive results to make me buy Motul for my Ducatis. This is the only specific brand preference for oil I have. For everything else I buy name brand oil, whatever I get a deal on that meets the specs “ Sort By Price- Lowest First “. ?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The KN-153 issue has been corrected for the flange height and I actually saw one once next to the one I took out and they were very different, there really should not be any old stock from 2012-2014 still around. The lingering bad reviews is from poor welding on the "nut" at the bottom which is only for removing an old filter - not tightening down a new one. KN-204 had the same issue. People have sworn on their sainted mother that they did not use a wrench on that nut to put the filter on, but,... it gets torn there and leaks. Sure, maybe a stone hits it, it certainly hangs out there on the 900SS models without a lower fairing.

One of my bikes had that occasional 4-5 false neutral or increased effort to engage it. It has come back when the oil is a bit low - 1/3 - 1/2 quart but that is rare since I keep an eye on it.

It went away because:"
1) Carb float stuck flooding the engine case with fuel.
2) drained oil, put some basic Quaker State for about 1 hr runtime. Drained that overnight from warm.
3) And once I put the Mobile One for VTwins it was like I had a brand new transmission.

Must have cleaned out something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts