Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I ordered a kickstand off of Ebay. It's a straight non-self retracting one. I had high hopes....

Well, it's SUPER sketchy. When you use it, you wind up with the bike leaned WAAAY over. I pulled with a just a little pressure towards the stand and the rear tire wants to lift off the ground. The bike is ridiculously leaned over on the stand. I was better off with the one that it came with. I think I will replace the bolt with a TPO one and eliminate the self retracting part.

There have been a few times that I just want to use the sidestand to dismount, and then use the center stand. Or just get off the bike for a few minutes and not deal with the center stand. The newer stand is just out of the question. And the self retracting one can be really tough to deal with depending on the circumstances.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Sorry that it didn't work out.

Looking back at the pics you posted, the rear end does not look like it was raised, which is a common modification done on our STs where the link rod in the rear suspension is lenghtened. This causes the rear wheel to be close to, if not touching, the ground on the center stand. A side effect is more lean angle on the sidestand.

I am puzzled why it would lean that far in the stock configuration.

One more thing to consider is that there are some places that sell side stand extenders. Or you could have someone fab one for you. It is simply a thick plate about the side of the current foot on your side stand that is either welded or bolted to the existing part.

Good luck.

·
7,733 Posts
Center stand, always, and forget about it. The bike is more secure, and even looks better parked that way, plus you can use the side cases more easily. I always use my center stand when parked. Side stand is used just to dismount.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, sidestand for the dismount. I found on my recent trip this can be easier said than done sometimes... My original sidestand, you needed to have enough room to go forward, then rock back into place. This is okay most of the time. A few times though, I found that I am just too short (5'8") to securely balance the right side. Small depression, etc.. I was hoping that the new stand would make for a better solution. Not the case... Oh well.

Center stand is fine, but there are a few times that it's just a serious pain either on or off. Like on a steep hill. It may be easy to get the thing up on the stand but getting it down, not so much. Just need to really think about where I"m parking.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last kickstand update. I ordered the straight kickstand from ebay. Installed and as reported it's too short. The bike leans WAAAY over. Slight inward pressure and the rear tire wants to start to lift off the ground.

Well, I had a bolt from TPO that eliminates the suicide/auto up feature. I put my original stand back on and it's brilliant.... It seems much more solid than the original bolt and it's a pure joy to be able to flick the sidestand down and run a quick errand.

Figured I post for any future people with the same dilemma. Center stand will be used for overnight and longer stops than 5 or 10 minutes. But man, I just ran several errands in town and it's so nice not to have to deal with the center stand at each stop.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I installed a piece of derlin about 1/2" thick to the bottom of my kickstand. I doesn't lean over as much now and doesn't sink in hot weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts