Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm after some advice on how to disable the kickstand engine cut out feature on a 2001 900 sport such that the bike will idle when the stand is down but cut out if you select a gear without the stand up. It seems like overkill that you can't even warm up the bike without having to sit on it because the engine wont start with the stand down even in neutral!
Ps, I know if I bridge the kickstand wires the engine will run whilst the stand is down, that's good, but it will also continue running if you select a gear with the stand down too - not good

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Good write up on a commercial product here in the Tech forum.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-tech-forum/536481-kickstand-bypass-kit-installation.html

I searched the TPO web site and could not find it though. Only the eliminator which is a bridging wire in an OEM connector, which is the same as wrapping thin copper wire around the three pins in the stock connector.

I will have a think about the circuit/components required as there has to be some logic (with diodes probably) that allows stand down starting but in neutral,
then stand up and in gear starting/running.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Motowheels have a kit in stock that does the job you want for $35US. I know you are gods country so the shipping cost will be up there but it beats screwing around with the connectors. If you want one I could split the shipping with you to AUS as it's a proper pain in the arse with these bikes. I warm on a rear stand if I can but I'm interested in doing the mod. I've seen them on eBay but you can trust Motowheels.

MW Kickstand Switch Bypass Kit

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
If you feel like being really cheap - diode ( 20 cents?) and a length of wire.

Read the table for the "logic"

Attachments

Reactions: jahjah

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
Jeez, pretty scary to have to actually think before you put it in gear. ?

Reactions: jcraft200

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, and DaveG the moto wheels option looks like the best way to go! I will check out the price and availability to Australia...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Motowheels have a kit in stock that does the job you want for $35US. I know you are gods country so the shipping cost will be up there but it beats screwing around with the connectors. If you want one I could split the shipping with you to AUS as it's a proper pain in the arse with these bikes. I warm on a rear stand if I can but I'm interested in doing the mod. I've seen them on eBay but you can trust Motowheels.

MW Kickstand Switch Bypass Kit
These don't seem to be stocked anymore. Anybody know of another reliable source?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi Thrasher, I actually bought the kit from motowheels and discovered it DOES NOT work. I haven't done any further research so now have a bike that you can ride away on with the kickstand down, totally unsatisfactory but I'm aware of it and only I ride it, with a big red sign on the steerer warning me :). if anyone has an easy solution i'm still interested...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I like your solution but I imagine the kill switch must be after your A branch to retain functionality.

I don't have a center stand and I'm not fond of running the bike on a kickstand, so I won't use it but I think it's an elegant solution to a irritating issue for bikes with a center stand or for those don't share my paranoia of relying on the kickstand.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I had a look at the circuit logic a long while back and now I'm riding the 2000 more I'd like to do something about it. It does suck to not be able to warm it up. At Home I warm up on a rear stand but I don't have that option away from home. The sidestand on my bike doesn't inspire much confidence on anything that is not a good level pad but I have a stiffer springs so the bike is probably a bit raised up on its static sag.

It should be easy enough, I think the polarity going into the ECU was odd or something (as in a positive feed rather than a ground) but it can all be sorted. Maybe it was the neutral warning was +. I'll have a read of the article Punch quoted.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Yes the bike is looking for a ground to run so you just give it one through the neutral light switch. I suspect the one from motowheels was simply wired wrong by mistake. The diode line should tap into the power side of the connector and send power to the neutral switch for ground. If the light is on the bike should run, be aware there are times the light could be on and in gear (it happens).
The diode is to keep the light from being on any time the side stand is down when in gear or not.

Simple mod if you are not comfortable doing it yourself any shop should be able to do the mod in under 1/2 hour. I de-pin the connectors and make soldered heatshrunk connections on the harness side of the connectors and if the diode does fail leave enough wire to put in another ( I do not think I ever changed one).

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i had a customer buy one recently (not sure if it was from motowheels, but it did come out of the usa) and it didn't work. i had to swap two of the wires in one of the 3 pin side stand connectors. don't recall which now, but it was a simple assembly error. pitfa to find tho when someone has dropped in for a 10 minute job.

possibly the electraeon one i think, now that i google.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts