Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out what happened to this poor bastard in Italy, apparently when he put down the kickstand and leaned the bike on it, it developed a crack on the engine case and did a complete oil change right there.
Have you guys ever heard of anything like this?

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts
Yeah absolutely.

But only with abuse - trying to spin the bike around on the stand like the squids at bike night in florida.

Or siting on the bike on the sidestand.

Big no no on Ducatis...

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trying to spin the bike around on the stand like the squids at bike night in florida.
Funny you said that, I saw a guy doing just that with a 999 just the other day in front of the Duc. dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Never seen it happen but my dealer did warn not to put excessive weight on the bike when it's on the side stand such as sitting on it or pivoting it on the stand. Guess they knew what they were talking about. Thanks BCM.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Expect it a lot more now...the 2009 models have thinner engine case castings and there's no more ribbed reinforcement on the engine cases.

The one nice thing that changed is the access to the oil filter. about 1/2 or more of the filter is exposed.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
why on earth ducatis have the kickstand placed on the engine and not on the frame?
all japan bikes can be lifted from the kick stand and ducatis make cracks and !#@%@%...thats insane... :-/

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Well mainly because the trellis frame doesn't allow you to do it as the bottom of the frame doesn't really give you an anchor point and it's too high off the ground anyway. Remember the engine hangs OFF the trellis frame so mounting the stand using the engine cases is the natural way for it to be done.

Chris

why on earth ducatis have the kickstand placed on the engine and not on the frame?
all japan bikes can be lifted from the kick stand and ducatis make cracks and !#@%@%...thats insane... :-/

·
Bon Vivant
11,252 Posts

The swingarm is also mounted on the engine case (but it does pass through the frame also)

You just need to be careful with the sidestand.

·
Registered
774 Posts
- To save weight by not having to extend big sideplates (like Jap bikes) all the way down. There's nothing wrong with the sidestand design, there are tens of thousands of Ducatis with similar mounts that have endured for years.

You just have to remember it's a sidestand (not a paddock stand, bike mount, lifting mount, tie-down point, rider support, etc etc etc.....)

jdw

·
Registered
23 Posts
- To save weight by not having to extend big sideplates (like Jap bikes) all the way down. There's nothing wrong with the sidestand design, there are tens of thousands of Ducatis with similar mounts that have endured for years.

You just have to remember it's a sidestand (not a paddock stand, bike mount, lifting mount, tie-down point, rider support, etc etc etc.....)

jdw
cmon man with all do respect I can understand unsprung weight savings blah blah blah but sheet maybe a single extra lb to ensure your bike doesnt drop because it wasnt treated like a trailer queen or piece of art? please I have 749 in the stable and was geeked up about the new models but will never ever buy a duc again considering the drama with the kickstand let alone no spool mounts in the rear. just gotta make you wonder who signs off on sheet like that there.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts

jdw
+1

There is no need to dummy proof every part.

I've owned over a 20 Ducatis.
I've never had a problem with the kickstand.

The only problems that I have seen were due to some abuse.

-M

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1

There is no need to dummy proof every part.

I've owned over a 20 Ducatis.
I've never had a problem with the kickstand.

The only problems that I have seen were due to some abuse.

-M
so let me get this straight, you always park you bike on a perfectly flat surface, you made sure your bike was never ever ever sat on at the dealer floor before by someone before you bought it, etc, etc. I really find it hard to believe unless your a true die hard duc koolaid drinker you can honestly say the kickstand design is optimal or up to the standards of other manufactures. did you know manufactures actually design and test critical components to perform beyond normal operating conditions to ensure reliability? let me guess early duc electrical gremlins were user error too right? what about cracking coolant tanks? sorry but were all not as perfect as you....

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
so let me get this straight, you always park you bike on a perfectly flat surface, you made sure your bike was never ever ever sat on at the dealer floor before by someone before you bought it, etc, etc. I really find it hard to believe unless your a true die hard duc koolaid drinker you can honestly say the kickstand design is optimal or up to the standards of other manufactures. did you know manufactures actually design and test critical components to perform beyond normal operating conditions to ensure reliability? let me guess early duc electrical gremlins were user error too right? what about cracking coolant tanks? sorry but were all not as perfect as you....
I don't know what electrical gremlins and coolant tanks have to do with kickstands.

I've been in the Ducati business for over 10 years and have owned Ducatis and other bikes for a lot longer than that. I don't see many kickstands breaking except in some extreme cases of neglect or abuse.

The kickstand is strong enough to survive its intended purpose of holding up the bike.

If you need something stronger so you can pivot it on the kickstand or sit on the bike - buy something else better suited for that purpose.

-M

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't know what electrical gremlins and coolant tanks have to do with kickstands.

I've been in the Ducati business for over 10 years and have owned Ducatis and other bikes for a lot longer than that. I don't see many kickstands breaking except in some extreme cases of neglect or abuse.

The kickstand is strong enough to survive its intended purpose of holding up the bike.

If you need something stronger so you can pivot it on the kickstand or sit on the bike - buy something else better suited for that purpose.

-M
no one is supporting spinning a bike or abusing a bike. wow your like talking to religious freak. cant question, dispute or god forbid criticize anything related to the hail all mighty "ducati". why do you even sell aftermarket parts considering the bike is so perfect in every way, who would want to change a thing?? whats even more funny is you peddle so many parts that replace stock parts so they can perform "beyond its intended purpose"

·
Temporary greeter
23,088 Posts
Nice 3 rd post troll. If you don't like it don't buy it. Believe me, this community would be thankful if you didn't.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice 3 rd post troll. If you don't like it don't buy it. Believe me, this community would be thankful if you didn't.

another koolaid drinker that has no sense of reality

·
Registered
23 Posts

-M
hhhmmm now why would you peddle this? and even advertise
"Safely allows you to start and idle your bike with the kickstand down (the way the factory should have done it)." You know you really should not try to attempt to make a part perform beyond its "intended purpose"

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=1554&showDetail=1&categoryID=1322|Monster%20Electrical%20%26%20Lighting&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=kickstand&collection=

·
Registered
23 Posts

One more thing wait until your boyfriend asks for your help in a fight

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
LOL!

Sometimes I wish I had a troll hidden under my porch, so I could unleash it on unsuspecting Halloween Kids...

Hey limj23, you wanna come over and live under my porch? You can eat the earthworms that live there, and the occasional unsuspecting forum poster who wanders by...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts