Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home yesterday and 1 bolt had flew off (gone forever) and I almost set bike down on kickstand, but noticed it would lean waaaay too far...bolt missing :(

Called Ducati dealer ($14 for new bolt)...ordered from Italy...yikes!!! Went to local bolt specialty dealer and got stainless bolt much nicer than original for $1.

WOW!!! Ducati sure steals from ya for stuff like this. Glad for local specialty shops.

Just thought I'd share....simple/stupid story :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
not stupid really.

when I was at the track last week after 3 sessions I noticed that I had 2 bolts missing from my rear hugger and 1 bolt missing from my fairing.

make sure them bolts are nice and tight all.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
I lost one last weekend as well.

Went to the local bolt supplier, and bought 4 (M10x25).

Used loctite on install.

Now I carry a spare!

Tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
kickstand bolt

i'd like to suggest the nichols kickstand replacement bolt - eliminates the auto-retract feature that has led to many of these bikes tipping onto the left side. available from california cyleworks for $14. loctite is your friend,
bobp

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
He's talking about the one of the two bolts that bolt the stand to the engine, not that one.

Tom

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
He's talking about the one of the two bolts that bolt the stand to the engine, not that one.

Tom
Exactly.....the 2 bolts that hold kickstand fitting onto engine. Gotit fixed, with lock tight and new bolts.

btw...i do have the newer updated kickstand that doesn't auto retract. Experienced one of those at dealer and I DID NOT like. Very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Wouldn't it have been nice if Ducati had mad those a finer thread pitch? BTW I always felt the Mussolini stand was safer.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Wouldn't it have been nice if Ducati had mad those a finer thread pitch? BTW I always felt the Mussolini stand was safer.
Mussolini stand? If by that you mean the self retracting stand I agree that it is much safer. I cannot count how many time I have seen people roll away with their sidestand down and then attempt to turn left... or seen people crush toes while pushing a bike around.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I keep a tub of stainless bolts of all sizes and a tube of loctite.
Lost my side stand bolt 2 weeks ago. Saved the bike by throwing myself under it.
Its a hazard of V-twin life

·
Registered
157 Posts
What is this with side stands falling off ??? At a recent ride day i attended, a guy had his side stand come off his 1098. It laid on the track for another lap before someone ran over it and it flicked up and broke 2 of his toes. Ouch!

Never heard of it happening before in my life. Bought my bike home and thought, i will loctite my bolts in, and sure enough, one of them was finger tight. Just glad the race bike isnt allowed to have one!! hahaha

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
About a year ago, 1998 ST2 was leaning excessively on the side stand. Noticed that one of the bolts was gone. Replaced it with an aftermarket bolt (same allen head).

Now I check it, and a few other "major" fasteners about eavery oil change.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Saved the bike by throwing myself under it.
I have saved my bike twice this year the same way :)

Any one have a solution for a worn out side stand pivot with out just buying a new one?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Buy one used?

Sorry about that - but I bought a couple off eBay and the second one was that close to new that I wondered how many miles were on the bike it came off. The first one was better than mine so I'm using that first.

The main problem with mine was that the foot was almost worn off but it was loose at the pivot too. The pivot had too much sideways play not so much a worn out hole so I add another fibre washer just to take out some of the play without it being too tight.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this is an incredibly old thread, but I have the same issues. I noticed the lean, saw the 2 bolts hanging off, got the socket set onto it and noticed they can't be tightened, just round and round it goes.... Even if they were tight, that lean makes me so nervous. My bike is a 90' 900ss "Starsky & Hutch", has anyone else fitted a longer kickstand that was a straight bolt on from another ducati, or do I just get another inch welded into this one?

In the meantime, do I have to helicoil or can I go the cheaper option, a tube of loctite?

Thanks,

Bez

·
Registered
368 Posts
Everyone that's got their stand falling off / bolts falling out - half your luck!!! I can't get those 2 bolts out for love or money. They are so god damn tight, the allen socket is starting to twist out of the bolt head and it's still not even close to budging. Tired impact drivers, everything, next will have to be a rattle gun after I get the correct impact allen bit.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Heat is your friend. Try getting some heat on the bolts before you strip them. You might also try soaking them in Kroil or PB Blaster after heating them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
... I noticed the lean, saw the 2 bolts hanging off, got the socket set onto it and noticed they can't be tightened, just round and round it goes....

... In the meantime, do I have to helicoil or can I go the cheaper option, a tube of loctite?

Thanks,

Bez

If you don't have working threads, LocTite won't do you any good at all.

Bryan

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess it would be foolish to go a bolt size up?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts