Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the best process for kick starting my motor, specifically around finding the point to begin the kick.

I've assumed I'd want the bike to fire at the bottom of the kick stroke so that there is some momentum present to help avoid a kick back.

And I read somewhere along the way that one should aim to have the lower cylinder to be the one that fires, presumably due to there either being a shorter or a longer(?) gap before the top one fires. But regardless, I tend to just dig around for any compression before kicking and I'm pretty sure that method can be improved upon!

Any specific details and procedures are appreciated.
Rob

·
Registered
158 Posts
With any kick start engine I kick it through until you feel like it's at the point where you meet the most resistance. This is usually the top of the compression stroke. Once you have compression you can stand on it and hold it at the bottom until the engine is running. I'm an outside leg kicker by the way.

I used to able to start one of my SSs with my hand so do you have an underlying problem?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The underlying problem is just the new ignition and I'm trying to determine whether I need to go back into the motor or not. It kicked me badly the other week and so sorting out the precise starting procedure is just another piece that I want to take out of the puzzle.

I've seen somewhere in the past where there was discussion about the best theoretical position for the engine to be in for the kick, and there was talk about feeling for the air being sucked into the lower carb and then something further. Obviously when an engine starts flawlessly then there's no concern about any of it.

However, I went ahead and started it again today so I'll go and update thee other thread I has started about the kickback..
thanks for the comments
Rob

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I started my 750GT the same way Morini35 lists. It started first kick the vast majority of the time. If it didn't start second kick I stopped and figured out what was wrong.

I credit most of that to the electonic ignition I installed and then set up using a degree wheel on the crank, checking/adjusting both cylinders so they'd fire when they were supposed to. And yes, the stock set up between cylinders did need to be tweaked.

Oh yeah, one thing I learned early on. When you go to start it, kick it like you mean it. Proper footgear and no half assed kicks are almost as essential as having the timing correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts