Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night when I parked the bike I put the kick stand down and noticed the bike started leaning more than normal, I looked and the kick stand started moving forward to the point that if i were to leave the bike it will fall. I looked and saw one of the screws was very lose. It was one of the large ones right below the rear set (there are 2, the lose one was the the one closer the the kick stand). I tried to tighten the screw but it seemed as if it was stripped because it kept turning. Is there a bolt or something attached to that screw?
I think i will bring the bike to the shop, but i wanted to know if other hyper owners had the same issue.
Sorry for the small photo, i couldnt find a good one to show the issue.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
kick stand issue beware

just found mines the same
tread is chewed out and retaining bolt was bent and has come loose

now anyone know if is warranty ?

or had it fixed , imagine heli coil ?
shanetbird

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bummer you're having kick stand issues too.
Mine was fixed under warranty, they had to order some sort of kit, it took them 3 days to receive it and another day to fix it.
Good luck, I'm sure your issue is also covered under the warranty. :cool:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Root Cause?

Interesting thread; I have wondered many times about the stiletto nature of the HYM side stand, it really *looks* way too slender to do the job over an extended time. I have treated mine as if it were made out of a very soft metal, I make sure that the stand is not bearing any weight, other then the machine itself, I retract it prior to mounting and deploy it after dismounting and have a track stand so that I do not need to lean it over on the front tire and the stand for chain maintainence.

So, be honest.

Are you guys sitting on the machine with the stand down? Do you bear a bit of extra wweight while mounting/dismounting?

OR

Is the stand the POS it looks like?

RS

·
Registered
65 Posts
same problem here!!

Mine was fixed under warranty, they had to order some sort of kit, it took them 3 days to receive it and another day to fix it.

the other day after my ride i also noticed that my bike had an abnormal amount of lean to it. after taking a closer a look at the stand, the 8mm bolt at the top of the kickstand was loose. couple twists of the wrench later problem solved...so i thought. after reading this thread, i went to re check the stand and the large bolt underneath the rear set is loose!

what was the fix on this issue? unsafe to ride like this? warranty? ...I am 400 miles from the dealer so the fix will most likely be on me ...suggestions??

thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the other day after my ride i also noticed that my bike had an abnormal amount of lean to it. after taking a closer a look at the stand, the 8mm bolt at the top of the kickstand was loose. couple twists of the wrench later problem solved...so i thought. after reading this thread, i went to re check the stand and the large bolt underneath the rear set is loose!

what was the fix on this issue? unsafe to ride like this? warranty? ...I am 400 miles from the dealer so the fix will most likely be on me ...suggestions??

thanks
I personally wouldnt ride the bike for 400 miles with a lose kick stand.
It is covered under warranty. I suggest calling Ducati and asking giving them your situation (distance to the dealer) and see if the road side assistance service they provide will cover the transportation.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
side stand issues

just found out our local ducati dealer got to boot ! we have no ducati dealer for 1000 miles now

1/ The original bolt is to short I checked it with a digital vernier
but the longer bolt its NOT a fix. but needed at least

2/ My dealer fitted a 15 tooth spocket I suspect they left the back side stand bolt loose, he also recently fixed the selector paw problem Twice !

3/ Having a second trade as a fitter, I believe a heli-coil will fix the problem
and you will find its a 10MM X 1.5MM metric thread.

4/ I'm hoping from what you say the fix from ducati that took 3 days is
a better one than the heli-coil

Shanetbird

·
Registered
41 Posts
The holes can be heli coiled quite easily if you are careful and have a bit of mechanical knowledge.

I bought a salvaged Hyper one year ago (39 miles on it!!) that was crashed on the way home from the dealer. Other than cosmetic damage on the left the kickstand was levered up in the crash and broke off its top mounting lug and ruined 2 of the 3 other mounting lugs as the bolts were bent and pulled the threads out with them when removed. I took a flyer and bought it hoping I wouldn't have to split the cases to repair. It went well. Below are links to my before and after pics.

BEFORE:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/EOdesmo/Hyperpics019.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/EOdesmo/Hyperpics015.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/EOdesmo/Hyperpics018.jpg

AFTER:

Leveled up the bike on my trailer to perform the drilling on the welded lug. Used the sidestand hole as a drill guide:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/EOdesmo/HomecomingandHyper039.jpg
Heli coiled holes:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/EOdesmo/HomecomingandHyper038.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/EOdesmo/HomecomingandHyper036.jpg

I bought the proper drill and tap(metric) and metric Heli coils at:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Quick shipping and they have a tremendous selection of items. I was going to use the threaded inserts and ordered both the helicoils and 2 inserts but the ouside diameter would have made the wall thickness after drilling a bit thin.

There is only 42Nm of torque on the inserts. I used permanent Loctite when installing mine.... No problems with the sidestand or footpegs after 5k miles(even with lots of motard style footpeg dragging!!!)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Checked mine this morning and two bolts were slightly loose. This is after going over the bike at 1500 miles including retorquing them with loctite. I think the heat from the sump makes the loctite ineffective and the vibration and stress on the lower bolt does the rest. The same thing happened on my brother's Buell. I'm going to drill and safety wire the lower bolt. These are the only fasterers I have found to come loose on the bike.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I really need to get into the habit of going over the HYM more often. Kinda like when I rode HD's. The Nippon bikes that I have owned are so smooth I rarely if ever found a loose fastener....I am off to check the kickstand.....

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
kick start issues

This problem creeps up on you
Quickest way is to watch your stand as it hits the concrete

if it slides side ways inspect the bolts and hope its not to late

Just for the record it happen to mine with 5500 kms new

and i never put weight on the bike or use it in anyway as a pivot

based on early threads last year

Ducati Australia asures me they can fix it
bet its just a heli coil kit
keep you posted
shane tbird

·
Registered
605 Posts
There is a lot of stress on that lower bolt even under normal use. If it gets loose it would be easy to tear it right out of the sump. Get a 1mm cobalt drill, and drill a safety wire hole through the head. Loctite and torque to 36Nm, wire it and all is well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
mine too

The lower kickstand bolt was loose on mine too. Dealer blamed the DP skid plate, which I thought was strange. I used blue loctite and re-tq the bolt (gently not to stripe the treads).

I think it's an issue of the aluminum case and steel bolt being heated by the sump. aluminum expands faster, then add the vibration from the foot pegs at the same time...

I don't know how to go about properly fixing the issue...

·
Registered
154 Posts
What was in that kit? Loctite?

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
kick start issues

I'm starting to think that loctite may not work here

With the constant temperature changes expanding and contracting on aluminum alloy

this may effect the bolts security including the shear loads and added force

with the stand being used with spring tension when its lifted

tie wire may have be the go similar the aviation fastenings

does anyone know what magic ducati is doing to upgrade this fault ?
shanetbird

·
Registered
605 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a "fault", its just a maintanence item. No big deal, just check often and/or fix it as I stated. I think the fact that only one or two bolts came loose on my bike in over 8K miles is pretty good. I went over the bike completely when new and everything that should be loctited was. A Helicoil insert is not going to add strength, its just going to save you from buying a new case. The best defense is for the bolts to stay tight so they share the load. It only takes a few minutes to go over the bike weekly and check fasteners.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Thanks for the heads up my bottom bolt was just slightly loose after about 4k miles and no loctite. Had not noticed the stand doing anything funny yet. Will keep a close eye on it now. Thanks again guys.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Mine slightly loose & full of chain lube. Elect contact cleaner bolt and hole then locktite. It feels like the bolt bottoms out before it pulls the stand bracket to the cases. Gotta try a lockwasher too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
No kidding, geesh... after a tad more than 2K miles, mine was loose too! :confused:

Clearly the process documentation for the assembly line in Bologna has the torques for the air box lid and kickstand transposed.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts