Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2003 ST4S Senna. I would like to find some way to be able to start the bike and have it run with the kick stand down. I am sure it has been addressed in this form but I can not find it. I also need to touch up the paint where can I get the paint? Thanks for any help.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
I thought you could start the MY 03 models with the kickstand down as long as the bike is in neutral. I know the 04 ST models can.

The MY 02-ST4s cannot be started in neutral with the kickstand down. Someone installed an after market device on mine which allowed the bike to be started in neutral with the kickstand down. The bike had starting issues which were resolved when the device was removed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Google Color Rite for paint. I don't know what color you have. Some are easier to match than others.

www.desmotimes.com sells a sidestand bypass switch. I installed one (easy) and it worked fine on my '02 ST 4s. I removed it 4 days later on the advice of a very experience Duc mechanic (JP at Bouldermotorsports) who told me thay had seen many problems with this switch. Others on this forum have also reports problems. I can't figure out why it should cause a problem but the switch does involve the 5.9 ECU which is very mysterious.

My advice is to try it but beware of any new starting problems that might appear.

Jeff in Colorado

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed the Evoluzione bypass on my ST2 about 6 yrs/40K km ago and have no issues of any kind with it.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I own a 2003 ST4S, and Bill is correct. I am able to start it in neutral with the side stand down. Maybe yours is really a 2002?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pink slip says 2003. runs on the center stand but as soon as I pull down the kick stand motor dies. I see a couple companies have the fix I will contact them. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought a kit for eliminating the sidestand cut out thru eBay UK about 4 years ago when I 1st got my 02 ST4S.
Works a treat and has been troublefree.No affiliations, but recommended, let me know if you need the sellers details.......he'd sold many of them.

Colin.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
The pink slip says 2003. runs on the center stand but as soon as I pull down the kick stand motor dies. I see a couple companies have the fix I will contact them. Thanks for the info.
I believe the first Senna ST4s was the MY 03.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I installed the Evoluzione bypass on my ST2 about 6 yrs/40K km ago and have no issues of any kind with it.
Me too, on my ST4s...which is for sale in this forum. ;)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I just followed the instructions here: http://www.ducatiwiki.net/index.php?title=Sidestand_Safety_Switch_Rewiring

Very cheap, simple and works well for me.
They ought to put that in a tips and tricks section. It's what I did almost immediately, I couldn't fathom not being able to warm it up on the side stand. One thing I did a bit differently is use heat shrink tubing, pick some up while you are at Radio Shack if you do this mod.

So far, no issues and I've put about 7,000 miles on it this way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts