Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 MTS. Today, leaving work, I stood next to the bike as usual, with the key in my pocket, and pushed the ignition button on the frame.
No response.
Pushed it again, and got the pin-input window. I entered my pin, and the bike started and ran fine. I never saw a low-battery indicator, but I thought the battery may have died a quick death.
Went home, changed the battery in the key fob. (PIA)
Went back out to the bike- same behavior, got the pin entry window.
Tried the red key (close to and under the tank)- no joy- got the pin window again.
Has anyone else seen this? There is no radio interference going on (I didn't have a phone near by). I read about that.
I'm thinking the bike's transceiver is not working.
Cheers-
JRT

·
Registered
117 Posts
wireless main key

Take your main key and hold it behind your dash, then toggle your red switch down and hold it there. Your dash should then light up and things should be fine. I had the same problem several times with my 2012 PP. The local Ducati dealer told me how to do this. If the problem persists it may be your immobilizer may be going. Hope I explained this clearly enough.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great- I'll try it this evening.
By 'main key', I assume the black key.
I'm not sure what 'red switch' refers to- do you mean the kill switch on the right side (that slides over the starter button)?
Thanks,
J

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great- I'll try it this evening.
By 'main key', I assume the black key.
I'm not sure what 'red switch' refers to- do you mean the kill switch on the right side (that slides over the starter button)?
Thanks,
J
Yes and yes.... The main key is the black one...the red switch is the slider that goes over the starter button on the right side switchgear.

I've had lots of "low battery" warnings (for the key fob), but it is brand new and in top condition (I checked the voltage). The original battery was fine too but I swapped it anyway since the case was already open at this stage! Anyway, the bike still starts first time....

If you still get no joy, I'd go to the dealer...something is clearly amiss.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
The place you put the "passive" key according to the manual is on the windshield at the bottom.

If the active key is broken and it still works in passive mode, thats the place to put it. My fob is cooked from dropping it in the wash but it still works fine in passive mode. If i place it against the bottom fo the shield it works every time. If thats the case with yours then i bet the fob is dead.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'll check it out tonight.
The bike goes to the dealer tomorrow anyhow, for the coolant recall, so I'm not real worried about it.

For some reason, I thought the receiver was under the tank. Not sure why I thought that.
Please, no suggestions:eek:

EDIT: The procedure above worked! Cool beans!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2012 bike and have the same problem once in a while. After I input the PIN the bike starts and ok for a while. I replaced the battery and it did it again last week.
Will the procedure described work when I have the problem eliminating the need to enter the PIN ? Any permanent solution?

·
Registered
117 Posts
immobilizer

I had the no life issue numerous times and never had to enter the pin code. Just hold the black key under the dash, toggle the red kill switch all the way down over the starter button and hold it there and everything comes alive every time. My dealer here in Denver told me if the problem persists they'll just replace the immobilizer under warranty of course. In the meantime the method they taught me that I just described works every time.

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
I haven't had this problem and I'm glad to be armed with knowledge in case I ever do, so thanks to all, but it makes you wonder. Is this an improvement over just inserting a key? Who comes up with this stuff?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts