Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried taking the 2010 MTS1200 to work today and was greeted with an inoperable machine. The bike wouldn't respond to either key (FOB or red). No dash lights, nothing. I could have sworn someone stole the battery.

I'm going to check the battery and fuses tonight. I'm nervous that the damn keyless ignition switch might be the culprit. Anyone experience something similar? Any good troubleshooting procedures?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Check the white plug connector at the starter relay under the seat. There is a 30 amp fuse that feeds the whole bike. There is a spare fuse along side of it. That white plug has been known to melt. There is a factory fix for that. Could have a failed battery? Cheers Keep us informed of your quest.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Go over the harness and push the wires back into the connectors from each side, especially the one Steve mentioned. The factory pulled the zip ties too tight on mine and the connectors weren’t making good contact inside. Same symptom, one day fine, next day nothing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys, thanks for the responses...have a link to that factory fix? When you talk about the harness and connectors, which ones are you referring to? Just the ones under main fuse?

I'm going to check that for sure, though it doesn't look like my problem. I checked the battery and it was at 4.6V. It's a LiFePo, so I charged it up and the bike started/ran. Took it to work today and it looks like the charging system is working (13-5-14.0V).

I'm not sure if the bike didn't charge the last time I rode it or if it had a parasitic draw while sitting for a couple days. I know the anti theft device is always on, but I'm not sure what else would cause the issue. I had a couple Triumphs that would get funky when 'off' and draw the battery down. The problem was intermittent, like the bike would do things at random times. Well known, but no cures. Hoping this isn't the issue, but I'm going to monitor the situation. Hoping to get away for a long weekend in June and I don't want to carry a charger with me, lol.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
It’s up to you how many you do, but I unplugged each one, checked for corrosion, lubed them, then when I pushed the connectors back together I also pushed the wires into the connectors fully from each side. Same with the ecu, but be careful with the tiny contacts that you don’t bend one. It takes about an hour.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I also cut the zip ties near the connectors and put them further away to create a little slack.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so this is more of a general concern than an acute problem. Good to know. I own a Buell as well, so I'm very familiar with how vibrations destroy connections.

Bike is running fine today...fingers crossed it was a one time fluke (but we all know how that goes...).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
57 Posts
I stumbled across a YT video the other relating to a key issue. The guy had an antenna problem and got his bike running by holding his key behind/at the bottom of his clock. Might be worth a try and it's one to remember.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stumbled across a YT video the other relating to a key issue. The guy had an antenna problem and got his bike running by holding his key behind/at the bottom of his clock. Might be worth a try and it's one to remember.
Yes, this is something I do everyday after work and at some gas stations. For whatever reason, there is enough interference at those places that the bike doesn't find the key.

As far as the original issue I posted about, the bike has been flawless over the past week or so. I'm a little weary of what happened, but I can't diagnose what isn't broken...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts