Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my previous key issue brought up a new issue. I bought the bike as an insurance recovery and didn't have any idea that there was a red key and I have only 1 key. I read somewhere that the DP ECU will work whether or not the key's transponder is the right one thereby allowing me to just get a duplicate ignition key without matching up to the transponder. Does anyone know if this is this the case?

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
Mine came with all the keys and code plate. None were red. I think you only need the red key for those years with an immobilizer, which happened sometime after the 2001 model year.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
thewrx,

As, Bill noted, that would be correct for your 2002 ST4s. Also, the 5.9M ECUs are easily double that cost these days plus mapping work.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like i'm in the clear

So basically there was no transponder until 2002 and since I have a 2001 I can just get a key from the dealer and have it cut by a locksmith since I don't have the code plate number for the dealer to punch the new key with. You guys definitely know the ins and outs of the ST series.

Thanks Much

Keith

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
You're welcome.

Because I'm cheap: blank keys show up often on eBay. I have no idea what a dealer charges for a blank but making it to the parts counter is usually a last ditch option for me.

That is one of the advantages of the group here and elsewhere, ST riders are rabid fans. A lot of time is spent in the seat and with the wrench.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I guess losing my red key would be a bad option. Your lucky you dont have to worry about that. I was reading my owners manual last night.
I was recommended by my dealer to always carry the red key (in a safe loaction - i.e. not as day-to-day use) on long trips because if you have a problem the dealer may need it to access the diagnostics etc.
As I travel with my wife on long trips I always get her to keep it safe in a zipped jacket pocket.

·
Mr Leakered
8,810 Posts
That is a scary thing. If I had an immobilizer, I would be OCD about the red key. Bring it or leave it at home? I'm quite happy to not worry.

Thinking about it, I'd probably hide it somewhere barely accessible on the bike, like the top of the rear side fairings (where the Motobags go).

Have a good one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys

I have an 02 ST4S with the immobiliser and like Keith purchased it without a red key (I have a DP ECU as well)

Went through all the options and was about to buy an aftermarket ECU (1,000) which disabled the immobiliser until I talked to a switched on locksmith.

Turns out he has a machine that can clone the original key and copy it to an aftermarket Kawasaki blank (not to the Ducati only but at least I got a spare now) - all up 150.00

So there is always a work around

Stu

·
Registered
7 Posts
Keith:

As Stu mentions, there is a workaround. I bought my ST4s a few years ago with only one key. I found a locksmith on ebay in San Francisco that could clone the black key that I had. I think he charged me only $50. He usually operated by mail, but I was in the bay area on business and asked if I could just show up. He did it all on the sopt in about 15 minutes, including cutting the key. Mine isn't a Kawasaki blank, it's something else, but basically the same concept. A programmable key.

If you want, I can try and hunt around for his e-mail address. Or just search around the internet for key cloning services.

Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Keith:

I just contacted the keymaker who cloned my key on the 2003 ST4s. He says he's still in business and will happily clone your key.

his email address is.

[email protected]

Like I said, really good guy. I've been to his house and seen his operation. Totally legit.

This is by far the cheapest option to the "No red key" problem that we sometimes encounter.

Good luck

Dan

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
cheap key blanks

Because I'm cheap: blank keys show up often on eBay. I have no idea what a dealer charges for a blank but making it to the parts counter is usually a last ditch option for me.
If you just need the standard key, save yourself a trip to the dealer. My local locksmith found a key blank for my '99 for $1.50 cdn (plus cutting fee).

Ask your locksmith to see if they can find a Silca (Italy) #KW14 for the ignition and (if needed) Silca # BT2 for the panniers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jimbo:

You have the old style, Non-Immobilizer key. The newer ones you can't just get any old blank and get a key cut at a locksmith. That's why I put the post in about finding the locksmith with the cloning machine.

Dan

·
Registered
53 Posts
See my post "no red key no problem". Had two keys cloned, cut, and tested in South San Francisco for $50 for my 02 ST4S. Premier Locksmith.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts