Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the key fob's battery wear down quicker when it's close enough to your bike to be recognized?

TIA

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I have been told by a tech that it does, as supposedly the key and the bike continually 'read' each other. The fob for my '10 lived in the handlebar bag. When the bike's battery went dead (not the fob battery), the tech said it was because of this.

Dunno... But I now keep the key in a cabinet away from the bike when I'm not riding.

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
For nothing other than peace of mind I store it 10 feet away at least.
A Multi urban legend in the making...

·
Registered
167 Posts
'13 Battery / Fob

The battery in my '13 GS went south this spring....it's a little sketchy to say that it was a premature demise as battery life can vary so, but I always keep the Fob in the dash box on the bike....I've replaced the Fob battery once so far. I guess that I have some doubts about this supposition though as long as the bike battery hasn't become totally discharged...seems like the minor drain from the Fob countered by frequent recharging while riding or on a tender would not really affect the bike battery life.... dunno.

·
Green owner of Red MTS1200
151 Posts
For nothing other than peace of mind I store it 10 feet away at least.
A Multi urban legend in the making...
Time to place a call to Myth Busters ! :nerd:

+1 on keeping it some distance away I think and as experienced owners before me suggested.

Cheers John

·
Registered
869 Posts
My bike will recognize my key fob 15' away, found that out this weekend when my key was in my jacket which was inside a camper.

My friend has been replacing batteries on his key fob, two or three times a year. He keeps his key fob on his Multi when not in use.

He asked me how mine was doing and I mentioned I had heard if you keep it close by it would consume batteries so I always keep mine in the house and I'm still on the original one several months later.

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Keep it in your jacket hump.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've ridden off on my Multi having forgotten the key in my seat lock and also my top case lock and have the bike warn me it can't find the fob.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've ridden off on my Multi having forgotten the key in my seat lock and also my top case lock and have the bike warn me it can't find the fob.
That's normal. The bike wants the key fob to be close to the dash. Leaving the key in your luggage or in the seat lock is too far away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This. Day 1. I knew exactly what I did when I got that warning...

The key hole is pretty tight though, so at least the key wont fall out (probably).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Talking to Ducati Tech this morning and was told the key only communicates with the Dash, once the power-up button is pressed. The bike will than search for the key and not continuously, so it should have no effect on either battery to leave the FOB close by.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Talking to Ducati Tech this morning and was told the key only communicates with the Dash, once the power-up button is pressed. The bike will than search for the key and not continuously, so it should have no effect on either battery to leave the FOB close by.
This makes the most sense to me....:think:

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
Hmm, that does make sense but doesn't explain people's experience of the battery's going dead quickly when the fob is left on the bike.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hmm, that does make sense but doesn't explain people's experience of the battery's going dead quickly when the fob is left on the bike.
True, but that experience seems not to be universal; e.g., I have replaced my fob battery once in three (3) years and the key lives in the dash box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts