Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike won't recognize the key today, had to use the PIN code to get to work. Tried it at work and still no good. Hoping it's just the battery, but I've never had a remote battery last less than a year. Anyone have problems with their keys?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Bike won't recognize the key today, had to use the PIN code to get to work. Tried it at work and still no good. Hoping it's just the battery, but I've never had a remote battery last less than a year. Anyone have problems with their keys?
I'm at 1.1yr...still works...

it also works as a passive key, hold it for few secs on the left bottom on the dash...behind the dash works better...

also will last longer if you don't keep the key close to the bike...

·
Registered
190 Posts
My first battery lasted about a year before i started seeing the "no key" signal popping up on the the console. My next one seems to be lasting a little longer.

I'm no expert, but I think a typical car keyfob is only using battery power when you press a button on it (at least for cars that don't have keyless start, etc). And I believe my old BMW keyfob actually gets "charged" when it's in the ignition - so no need to replace a battery until it can no longer take a charge.

The MTS keyfob probably keeps a very small signal going so the bike can "find" it when it's in range. I guess one way to think of it is that since there is a battery and no mechanical switch, then it's always using power.

Again, I'm no expert.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bought mine as a leftover. Bike had been on the sales floor for awhile. I had to replace my key battery 3 months after I bought the bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm at 1.1yr...still works...

it also works as a passive key, hold it for few secs on the left bottom on the dash...behind the dash works better...
Tried that as well, but it didn't work. Gonna try again when I leave work and then change the battery.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tried that as well, but it didn't work. Gonna try again when I leave work and then change the battery.
make sure you are holding it on left bottom, behind the dash...hold it for 2-3 secs before turning it on...good luck...

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Pete

I'm riding the bike almost two full years at this point.

Got close to 20,000 miles on it.

I. The key looks the same today as it did when the Dealer gave it to me. That means that the rubber is not coming off as I have seen many owners posting here about that issue. How could the rubber come off?

2. The key has always been in my right front Cortech Mod jean pocket. From day one with 1 mile on the bike. Right front pocket!

3. The bike has started up 99% of the time when I pull down the red switch and raise it back up. I press the start button.

4. On the 1% when it didn't start: I had to reach down and rearrange the key in my pocket (not take it out) to get it to communicate with the start sensor.

5.One time since I've owned the bike I needed to actually take the key out of my pocket and hold it over the gas tank. That lit up the display. One time in almost 20,000 miles and starts.

Basically, I have never had an issue with the Multistrada key during the first 20,000 miles of operation.

I got into a difference of opinion here awhile back about starting and shutting done this bike. I'll leave it at that.

Dan

P.S.

Pete.....do not keep the key in that little "key holder" when you are away from the bike!

·
El lobo solitario
103 Posts
Never do. Always keep it inside the house. My guess is bad battery, but I did drop it pretty hard the other day.
Yep, it'll be the battery, mine died at one year this past April. I was out on a trip and just stopped at a Walgreens drug store in the next town, picked up a battery and changed it in the parking lot.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Never do. Always keep it inside the house. My guess is bad battery, but I did drop it pretty hard the other day.
Pete

You dropped the key? Hopefully not the bike.

The reason you do not want to keep the key near the bike when you are not riding is that you do not want the two of them constantly "talking" to each other.

That will kill the key battery and might also upset the sophisticated electronics of the bike! This bike does not need any prompting to give you headaches.

Yes,yes, I know!! The software is not beta and all that: but don't push your luck!

I have never replaced the original key battery.

Dan

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pete

You dropped the key? Hopefully not the bike.
No, not the bike, the key. I know about the key drain and the red button drain as well. Dealer made sure to learn me on that when I picked it up.

Gonna pick up a new battery on the way home. Not a big fan of these electronic keys. Would much prefer the simple old way.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
My battery just went out after two years, and the fob has lived on the bike since day one. I think it's really just a matter of how long the batteries might have sat on the shelf before being put into the fob, as opposed to how close one leaves the fob to the bike.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
My keyfob batteries lasted about a year each time. I am now on my third.

I have noticed that as my battery dies, I get a "low level" message with a picture of a key and a battery on the round screen. When this happens I replace the keyfob battery. I keep a new spare on the bike. I have never had the ket not start the bike and never had to use the PIN except to code in my own PIN and practice every so often to test it works.

Note that leaving the keyfob within RF range of the bike when not in use will flatten the bike battery rapidly as the RF system will not go to sleep. I assume it may also flatten the key battery faster - maybe not.

Dan, the rubber bits on the key are glued on. Both mine peeled a bit and I reglued them. One of them later came off entirely and I have not bothered to put it back on. They don't do anything anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just like Molly... I've had my Multistrada for two years and the key fob has never left the front storage holder. No one around here would have any idea that stealing it is as easy as a flick of a button. Not smart i know. Anyway, I have never even thought about it not starting until reading this thread. It sounds like I may be pushing my luck. I'll have to pick up a replacement battery soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts