Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 2016 DVT for six months but I've drained two key fob batteries already. It seems they last me about 3 months. I keep my key fob in my jacket pocket and I hang my jacket about 4 feet from the bike. I can usually start the bike without moving my jacket; it's hanging close enough to start the bike, at least until the battery starts to fade.

I'm wondering whether my battery drain is caused by the fob being so close to the bike 24/7. Maybe it's constantly searching for the ignition press, expending energy in the process.

I've read some threads about the position of the red switch, some suggesting the switch should be in the upper position to prevent the bike from searching from the fob. But that's the position I always keep it in.

It seems it would make more sense to put the red switch in the lower position where the bike could not be started. It wouldn't be looking for the fob if it's in that position, presumably.

And it doesn't sound right that the bike would not search for the fob if the switch is in the upper position because that's the position you put it in to start the bike, when it needs to find the fob.

Bottom line is I'm draining the battery when I keep the red switch in the upper position. Have not tried the lower position but I intend to after I replace the battery.

Any user input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Had my '15 DVT for 2 years, still on the original FOB battery. I keep the key in the house.

Reactions: Jeff Moore

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keep the fob far away (out of its range) from the bike otherwise the battey in the fob will drain in months regardless the position of the ignition switch. If you keep it away then it lasts 2-3 years based on my experience.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Had my '15 DVT for 2 years, still on the original FOB battery. I keep the key in the house.
Same with my 2014. I bought it new in Nov 2014 and have yet to replace the key fob battery. Bike is in my garage and the key is kept in a drawer in the kitchen which is at the back of the house.

I should probably replace the battery before it fails. My Mercedes actually tells me when the battery in the key fob is starting to fail and needs to be replaced. Fortunately, it is ridiculously easy to replace the battery on that key fob. They tend to need replacing about once a year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Your Multi will also warn you with a message in the smaller round part of your dash (non DVT) when the battery in the fob is starting to fail.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Your Multi will also warn you with a message in the smaller round part of your dash (non DVT) when the battery in the fob is starting to fail.
I never knew that. Good to know. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts