Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John H, at www.eti-fuelcel.com in California, is looking for a Sport tank to use as a tool to make a mould for a kevlar and epoxy tank. They would be able to rectify all the problems reported here and even make an endurance version.
Hopefully, someone on this forum can help him out with a damaged or distorted tank that could be used.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I was over at PI (Pro Italia, L.A.) yesterday I saw a couple 1098 tanks (one stock tank and the other Kevlar) leaning against the counter. A couple guys were talking about the tanks and said "pick it up and compare"; so I did. The Kevlar tank was much lighter than the stock tank and I had to ask what composit was used to manufacture the tank... He said Kevlar... I was supprised. I saw this post, so I thought I would mention that people are working on this kind of technology... very interesting stuff!!

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i have a gt tank i could lend (perfect: no spreading, no distortion), but two important questions:

rough estimate for cost of the kevlar tank
rough estimate of schedule for getting it done

thanks!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Hmmmm. Along with the carbon fiber tail piece and fairing now available, a complete carbon Sport may be possible. I like.

·
Registered
594 Posts
This is a delicate matter.

I spoke to a fiberglass tank manufacturer who told me he would not touch this with a ten foot pole for one reason: copyright infrigement.

He says the tank would have to be redesigned and show at least a 15% difference from the stock unit.

I certainly hope that an affordable solution can be found to this problem anyway.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I spoke to a fiberglass tank manufacturer who told me he would not touch this with a ten foot pole for one reason: copyright infrigement.

He says the tank would have to be redesigned and show at least a 15% difference from the stock unit.
Sounds like a reasonable concern, but I just can't imagine how it would be in Ducati's interest to limit or impair aftermarket development for their products. There are already plenty of aftermarket replacement parts made of different materials, and I haven't heard of Ducati suing anyone because of it. Besides, wouldn't being made of a wholly different material (and being at least 15% lighter) constitute greater than a 15% difference?

And, oh yeah, like GT Rossi, I have a perfect GT tank I'd be willing to lend as long it will not be damaged.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
This is a delicate matter.

I certainly hope that an affordable solution can be found to this problem anyway.
I totally agree with you… as an industrial designer i often have to deal with copyright issues.

The shape has to be modified to such an extent that there are no major visual similarities to the Ducati product…

We are not talking about different material so… it is the design!

Second, gas tanks that are used off the race track have to undergo strict testing and this is very expensive… a friend of mine did that with carbon/kevlar tanks for superbikes and they were around 2K € at the end

·
Registered
565 Posts
If it doesn't spread, it will 100% different.

TS

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I have a Sport tank that I could probably lend. I'll try to get in touch with them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fireproof

I totally agree with you… as an industrial designer i often have to deal with copyright issues.

The shape has to be modified to such an extent that there are no major visual similarities to the Ducati product…

We are not talking about different material so… it is the design!

Second, gas tanks that are used off the race track have to undergo strict testing and this is very expensive… a friend of mine did that with carbon/kevlar tanks for superbikes and they were around 2K € at the end
I totally agree, RS and Factory (corse) tanks as made by MS PRODUCTION, are nothing like aftermarket carbon tanks.
Ducati tanks fitted to the 998RS and Fo2 would weigh about 3kgs but are enormously strong particularly in the check area, many AFTER MARKET TANKS FEEL LIKE AN EGG SHELL FULL OF PETROL,I HAVE HAD FLASHBACKS OF SLIDING ON MY ARSE THROUGH A POOL OF BURNING PETROL LEFT BY A FRACTURED EGGSHELL?? I WOULD USE, ILLEMBERGER, OR MS PRODUCTION TANKS, I HAVE A COUPLE OF BEAUTIFUL TANKS THAT I HAVE GIVEN AWAY RATHER THAN PUT THEM ON A BIKE, CRASHING IS ONE THING, HAVING ALL YOUR SKIN BURNT OFF IS ANOTHER. BREAKOUT

·
Registered
594 Posts
Good for those who justify paying 1/5th of the purchase price of a Sport 1000 in replacing the tank. I for one find this out of the question.
I believe I will learn how to live with my deformed tank, unless someone offers a financially acceptable option.

Until then I will turn my warped tank in just before factory warranty ends and wait until the second tank turns into a pretzel... Nothing else to do. ;)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
So you put a sticker on the underside of the new tank saying, "For closed course racing only." Termis and and other aftermarket products have been doing this forever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ETI has a lifetime warranty; maybe Ducati should throw Acerbis under the bus and hire them. I'll volunteer my SC for a test fit.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'd seal the inside though. The one we had on our 1098 project sprung a leak twice and ruined the paint (twice). ETI gave us a new tank after the 2nd leak, but now I need to paint the tank a third time. I could have bought 2 tanks for the cost of the repaint.

-M

1 - 20 of 22 Posts