Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
1999 Ducati Monster 750, 2012 Ducati Panigale 1199
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented a Phantom high speed camera for another project and got some shots of the flat side carbs on the old Monster.
The footage came out INTERESTING to say the least lol.

Registered
1993 750SS
Looks cool 馃憤馃徏

Reactions: TROdesigns

Premium Member
Yet further proof that carburetors were created by wizards and that I am right to fear them鈥

Really cool visuals, thanks for posting this

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazing the guys who invented the Carburetor could envision it working without seeing it in slow motion...

In the video you can see the fuel atomize or form droplets based on the pressure in the intake, crazy

Registered
It鈥檚 really not as 鈥渁tomized鈥 as I thought it would be. Pretty large droplets being siphoned into the air stream. They need to center feed it through the Venturi like a Holley dual feed.

Come in Spinner :)
I'm sure your right and Keihin don't know what they are doing :)
And it's not siphoned, it's being forced in by a pressure difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anybody on this thread may also be interested in this clear Engine Cylinder video I released a few hours ago. A few guys have done Cylinder HEADS, but never the cylinder AFAIK. There's a new one coming up with a redesigned clear valve cover for Pantah-Style motors too.

Registered
Wow, the amount of "stand off" when he first started it (right around 1:15) was incredible.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, the amount of "stand off" when he first started it (right around 1:15) was incredible.
Is that because the bike isn't under load? I think these carbs are a little oversized for the 750 really

Registered
Is that because the bike isn't under load? I think these carbs are a little oversized for the 750 really
I don't know for sure, but I've just never seen THAT much stand off before. Even on ZX-11s or anything I was working on.

My little F1 used to wet my right knee down, because when you tuck in on it, your right knee goes right up against the end of the air cleaner pod sticking out past the frame tubes. Even with the filter in place, a little bit of stand off would show up outside of the filter element.

Registered
Something isn鈥檛 right. There shouldn鈥檛 be that much fuel outside the carb floating around, it鈥檚 like the cam timing is way off or something. One thing we know for sure , it has nothing to do with fuel being siphoned .

Registered
Intake tract reversion is dependent on cam timing, cam lift and the amount of overlap.

I was just amazed to see that much in a mild engine like a 750 Monster.

I guess all engines do it, we just can't see the fine stuff without help.

Registered
DukeDR: I would guess that's where / why velocity stacks come in handy. Help contain and consume that stuff.

Registered
Your dealing with a short intake tract and small ports so high velocity, Ducati鈥檚 intake tract is longer to begin with on most models, especially on stock 2 valve motors with long manifolds. On 4 cylinder Kawasaki engine I used short bell mouths with the largest foam UNI filters I could fit, 6鈥 I think. Ran really well. I normally prefer to run a modified stock air box with a high flow element, but the original owner pitched it and fitted the stacks, so I added the UNI鈥檚.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts