Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one of the common pearls of wisdom for modding carbed bikes is to get a set of FCR 39s and just skip the BS with the OEM Mikunis. As I've been searching for a few parts for the new 750 I've seen that there are a lot of FCRs used from Suzuki and a few other manufacturers, and I've even seen choke rebuild kits; eBay has a few dozen OEM sets right now.

Has anyone ever tried to use the OEM versions? They are definitely cheaper than a new aftermarket set, and if there is a choke rebuild kit then they must have versions with chokes (the typical ones don't and that seems to be the major ding against them, along with the high price). I'd like to roll the dice and get some to try out but was hoping there was some info on if anyone has tried them, the specific differences between them and the new aftermarket versions, and anything else to consider.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
So, one of the common pearls of wisdom for modding carbed bikes is to get a set of FCR 39s and just skip the BS with the OEM Mikunis. As I've been searching for a few parts for the new 750 I've seen that there are a lot of FCRs used from Suzuki and a few other manufacturers, and I've even seen choke rebuild kits; eBay has a few dozen OEM sets right now.

Has anyone ever tried to use the OEM versions? They are definitely cheaper than a new aftermarket set, and if there is a choke rebuild kit then they must have versions with chokes (the typical ones don't and that seems to be the major ding against them, along with the high price). I'd like to roll the dice and get some to try out but was hoping there was some info on if anyone has tried them, the specific differences between them and the new aftermarket versions, and anything else to consider.
It all comes down to what you have in the manner of an equipped shop. Those FCRs aren't specifically made for Ducatis .... but the kit is. So if you have the ability to make intake manifolds, and so on, you can retrofit pretty much any carb to pretty much any bike. It may require welding equipment and welding skills, it may also require machining equipment and machining skills. You may have to make up your own throttle cables, cable adjusters, intake manifolds, and other stuffs.

The thing about the FCR kits is everything required to drop them on to your Ducati is in the kit.

So sure ... you can buy a pair of $200 carbs and fit them to your bike. The trick is the "fit" part.

I think there is a thread going on right now where someone has retrofitted a set of carbs to his Ducati .....

Yea .... found it .... here's a quote ... "I have decided to give the keihin 48mm CV flatslides a go... these are off a Honda VTR"

And here's the link to the thread =
https://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/720223-ducati-st4s-custom-build.html

Have at it! And good luck!

:smile2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really good info, thank you from a Duc noob. Here is a set off a Gixxer, I figured keep two and sell the others, but I haven't begun to research the nitty-gritty of using these instead: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-1100-750-Bandit-1200-Keihin-39mm-FCR-Flat-Slide-Carburetor-FREE-SHIP/143374718352?hash=item2161cc9590:g:2-oAAOSwljVdbvJP

I have seen the complete kits, and although the OEMs are more involved (chopping an extra set of intake tubes, getting couplers, etc), they are also about half of what a proper, new set costs. I'll research and piece together if its worth the savings (and I think its kind of fun), but I don't want to get parts and just chase BS for forever.

I'll check out that thread!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts