Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any body else have this problem it dose not happen all the time it happens at different speeds

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

no i do not have power command on it as long as its ok i will leave alone

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
known issue, the DP ECU has a different ignition map that supposidly takes care of it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
my SS makes a "POP"....generally happens just about when I break the speed of sound.

seriously though...you could make a complete list of all engine mods, and pull the ECU and send it to a reputable place like BCM and have them re-flash it. they flashloaded a fuel/ignition map into my stock 1.5 racebike ECU and it screams.

Or any other close, reputable FIM dealer will probably have a map that is very close to your needs [if it is indeed a mapping issue]

You could start by doing a "by the book" injection tune up [set TPS, balance throttle bodies, etc.] It will be of benefit regardless of re-mapping...it might even remedy your issue.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Pop goes the weasle...

Pop is timing related, a PC won't fix it - although making it mega rich in that area (usually 3-4000 rpm on partial throttle), may mask it a bit.

I fitted the DP ECU and airbox kit - no more pops!

As mentioned FIM / BCM can reflash your ECU for the same effect... Quick and cheap fix ($180 USD from memory). Takes about 30 mins drive in - drive out...

It is a known issue with SS ie engines, particularly pre 1000DS.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
do you happen to have a link to anything talking about this?

anything other than what's on the FIM web page?

I know it's not fuel because I've messed with my PCIII many a time, I would continue to richen and richen the band where it happens and nothing....besides that, that route doesn't make ANY sense at all, thinking about how the map would look....with this HUGE spike in fuel delivery for about 1000 rpm?? no thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
JDuc

Don't have any links, although I did see one somewhere else, can't remember where.

My comments came through may own experience fixing this problem (tried playing with fuel on a PC3 afor many hours and then fitted a DP ECU). And through talking directly to both Duane Mitchell (FIM)and Brad Black (Moto one - very experienced & respected DUCATI 2V tuner). Richening may help a tiny amount to "mask" variations in timing / TPS etc but really won't do much. I know - I tried it... Hence my the thrust of my previous post was its the ignition.
I have seen a map of the fuelling and comparison O2 for a STD ECU and it is a bit rich around 3-4000 rpm, whereas the DP one isn't rich but removes the pop.

The ignition map is different though, which to me confirms the ignition as the cause. Anyway the proof was in the pudding as they say, the DP ECU fixed the pop on my bike. You could add an ignition module to a PC3 for double the $, but why would you when swapping or flashing the ECU fixes it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Popping Noises

Hi All,

I've started my bike for the first time in a couple of months and I got the popping noises for the first time. Now it pop-pop-pops on throttle. I'm a little worried because it has never had the popping noises before, not even on deceleration. Mine is a 2000 750SS with the following mods:

Open Airbox / K&N Filter
Remus Titanium Slip Ons / ECU
Light Flywheel

26k miles with the latest valve adjustments about 150 miles ago. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I haven't started the bike in about 2 to 2 1/2 months. Should I be worried?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts