1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents - id appreciate some advice.....

First the facts....

1100s. Power Commander, Ducati Race ECU, MWC air filter, dyno'd

Havent owned the bike for long (about 4 months) - almost off the edge of the tyres, but thats another thread to start....

When i got the bike the previous guy looked after it and then some so it came to me in tip top condition and im glad to say still is....

One thing he advised me to do was at 2000 miles was to clean the air filter out. There is an MWC air filter in there. if no one knows the mwc air filter is fitted by slicing the airbox in half and then pinning the air filter down on the bottom half....seems a bit heath-robinson to me as it involves hacking the standard airbox to pieces plus the mwc part in my opinion is hard to clean, no very accessible as a part in itself and a little flimsy so id like to change....

id looked at the wasp works effort which in my opinion is a little steep for the basic kit at something like 650 quid (im in the UK) when i think all i need is the K&N's and the converter (the bit that connects the K&N's to the stacks (i think im using the right word there) but correct me if im wrong.

So, my questions are

1. Can i source those K&N filters in the UK - are they a standard part?
2. Same for those converter thingy's - or does someone sell those as a kit?
3. Assuming i do actually get the above parts does my bike need to go back on the dyno? as im taking another performance air filter off.

I know ive already got something in place but the K&N solution looks tidier and believe me, easier to clean and put back together than what i have.....and, if i can get the above - MWC air filter and hacked airbox for sale!!!

Cheers lads.

Comfy

·
Registered
587 Posts
There is a difference between for Evo 2010 and up and pre Evo models .The small filter is a larger diameter for the Evo .
I know because they sent me the wrong one , but it will fit with a little ingenuity(you have to make a adapter) .
ride-on
Bob

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you're willing to sell your MWR lid, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :D

You could buy a Ducshop stack kit for $249, or that's for the TPO Beast, I'm not sure.

That's not a lot of money in pounds.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
So, my questions are

1. Can i source those K&N filters in the UK - are they a standard part?
2. Same for those converter thingy's - or does someone sell those as a kit?
3. Assuming i do actually get the above parts does my bike need to go back on the dyno? as im taking another performance air filter off.
1. WASP PUK is probably not your best bet, 1/2 the money is for a pre-mapped power commander. Look at ducshop or TPO beast-r velocity stacks. These kits will include the filters, stacks (what I think you referred to as converters)? Keep in mind at least for the beast-r you will need to spend $25 dollars extra each for the idle air filter and the crankcase breather filter since they will no longer route to the airbox. Beast-r kit comes with mounting brackets, ducshop has it separate.
2. Which dp ecu do you have?
3. As always dyno for best results, can you get away without it. Probably, but I think you will be on the lean side.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
1. WASP PUK is probably not your best bet, 1/2 the money is for a pre-mapped power commander. Look at ducshop or TPO beast-r velocity stacks. These kits will include the filters, stacks (what I think you referred to as converters)? Keep in mind at least for the beast-r you will need to spend $25 dollars extra each for the idle air filter and the crankcase breather filter since they will no longer route to the airbox. Beast-r kit comes with mounting brackets, ducshop has it separate.
You can source a 9mm breather filter from ebay for $9 a piece(inc. shipping to UK). Also, you could go for Uni filters or other foam pod filters which are cheaper and perform better than K&N(with K&N, you pay for marketing, foam filters are much better than cotton ones).

The only problem would be the stacks. You'd either have to fab your own, or, buy them seperate. I don't know who sold them seperate, I think it was Ducshop.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses all - in reply to the questions....

1. Paulbi - put it on my watch list - although 130 quid so far is pretty high - higher than i expected - K&N for my old z thou cost me 30 quid!! but hey this is ducati ownership....

2. Drinky - yup no - problem - if i can get some K&Ns then yes youre welcome to the mwc air filter and the airbox - the guy that owned it before me bought a brand new airbox and hacked it up - he did leave part of the front of the top in place to protect the air filter from the weather. Drinky - where can i get the foam filters from (they sound like theyre even easier to clean than the K&N's!)

3. Thermal Runway - mines got the ducati race ecu fitted - when the dash boots up i get the scrolly evo message across the display. Just to add to that - ive seen other tards where theyve changed that message - that'd be pretty cool if i could do that....Im a standard IT nerd for a job so if if it involves 'puters i could probably tackle that!

Again - thanks for all the reply's

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
You can source a 9mm breather filter from ebay for $9 a piece(inc. shipping to UK). Also, you could go for Uni filters or other foam pod filters which are cheaper and perform better than K&N(with K&N, you pay for marketing, foam filters are much better than cotton ones).

The only problem would be the stacks. You'd either have to fab your own, or, buy them seperate. I don't know who sold them seperate, I think it was Ducshop.
This is an excellent thought for the breathers, I overlooked that. Yes K&N will be more expensive because of the name brand aspect. If you can source proper stacks and then grab some foam filters this might be the way to go. However there is a huge debate on foam vs cotton vs paper vs blah blah blah. I think it comes down to preference in the end, each have pros and cons. I would expect that it would need tuning on a dyno with this collection of parts from multiple sources, even more so then it would already.

When I talked to TPO way back they said that the K&N filters used in their kit were designed specifically for it and proprietary to TPO. I don't know if this is true for Ducshop as well? I would get in touch with both companies.

The reason I ask about the ecu is to make a distinction between exhaust ecus and the cams ecu which increases fueling the most. Do you know which one of the three it is cams, full exhaust, slip on exhaust (I believe slip-on and full system to have separate ecus, someone correct me if I am wrong please)? Hope I am helping.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah not sure there - im a little old school - i must confess i thought there was only one ecu that ran the engine management....so i cant say - ill see if i can find out....there are no special cams in there so i guess the exhaust as mine is a zard penta (full system)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah not sure there - im a little old school - i must confess i thought there was only one ecu that ran the engine management....so i cant say - ill see if i can find out....there are no special cams in there so i guess the exhaust as mine is a zard penta (full system)
There is only one ecu that runs the bike. Hes referring to different ecus offered by ducati, stock, one if u change the exhaust and one if u add the camshafts(they are substantially different in fuel management, i imagine if u put the cam ecu on a stock bike it would be rich enough to foul plugs, eventually ruin ur catalytic convertor, etc. Same if u ran the stock ecu on a built motor. It would have horrible surging issues, backfires on deceleration and run hot...

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Right, I think I confused you. One ecu on the bike at a time but different versions supplied by Ducati with different systems. One with the termigononi slip ons, one with the termi full system, one with ducati performance cams. Pull the right hand front fairing to access the ecu and post up the serial numbers. I am not sure what else it will say on it, for example mine says hm cams race or something to that effect, can't remember for sure.

Edit: didn't see booger's post essentially same thing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok - ill have to check that tomorrow (educate me here if you can) but the way i see it (as mines set up at the moment) ive got a powercommander in there - a race ecu (ducati) as when the dash boots it says hypermotard evo sp, and its been dyno'd so its setup correctly as it is - by changing the air filters from one shape to another i guess itll need to go back on the dyno, very probably....

sorry if i sound thick....

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Ok - ill have to check that tomorrow (educate me here if you can) but the way i see it (as mines set up at the moment) ive got a powercommander in there - a race ecu (ducati) as when the dash boots it says hypermotard evo sp, and its been dyno'd so its setup correctly as it is - by changing the air filters from one shape to another i guess itll need to go back on the dyno, very probably....

sorry if i sound thick....
Wait, what? You have an 1100s and when you turn it on the dash reads exactly as "hypermotard Evo sp" ? That's crazy talk! :). Did previous owner ask to have that as a custom message programmed? This could be quite interesting.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yup - im sure it does - ill check tonight - if it does ill take a screenshot....!

As i said (or maybe not have) he really looked after it/threw a shedload of cash at it as well, all the stock stuff came off at 50 miles in ( when i picked it up the car was full of the original spares!) nice bloke.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Thanks for the responses all - in reply to the questions....

2. Drinky - yup no - problem - if i can get some K&Ns then yes youre welcome to the mwc air filter and the airbox - the guy that owned it before me bought a brand new airbox and hacked it up - he did leave part of the front of the top in place to protect the air filter from the weather. Drinky - where can i get the foam filters from (they sound like theyre even easier to clean than the K&N's!)

Again - thanks for all the reply's
OEMcycles has a pair of foam filters and they ship overseas.

You could either get this one:

Uni Pod Filters UP-5245

or this one:

Uni Two Stage Pod Air Filters UP-4245ST

But, you probably have some MX shops nearby that sell these kind of filters as well. You'd need a 64mm ID filter, max width would be 4"(105mm) and max length 130mm.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Says........Hym Racing Evo.....but it scrolls faster than I can get the camera to focus....just Googler for it.....looks to be something to do with the exhaust....

·
Registered
470 Posts
'ca-cycleworx', the guys that sell the 6.4 gallon tank, sell a set of K&Ns for the throttle bodies and two little ones for the crankcase and idle bypass for $79.99. I run them and they ,along w the dynotuning, made my bike WAY better! Originally i was searching K&Ns website for a pair that fit(and the little ones), but i couldnt beat that price...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
'ca-cycleworx', the guys that sell the 6.4 gallon tank, sell a set of K&Ns for the throttle bodies and two little ones for the crankcase and idle bypass for $79.99. I run them and they ,along w the dynotuning, made my bike WAY better! Originally i was searching K&Ns website for a pair that fit(and the little ones), but i couldnt beat that price...
They don't include stacks though. Powerwise, a lot of people reported even having less power with that kit after putting it on the Dyno.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry - been away for a bit - thanks for all the suggestions - im a bit lost now....still learning the lingo - throttle bodies, stacks not sure whats what....if i lift off the mwc filter ive got two "tubes" if you will that stick out - obviously attached to the carbs.....i take it need to put my 2 filters - should i be able to find them, on there....Obviously pulling the airbox out first....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts