Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Duca...b5d92QQitemZ120461155730QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

The guy didn't know how many miles since the engine mods. I always wanted one of these and for this price I figured I couldn't go wrong. The bike looks like it's in great shape but I won't know for sure until I see it. I'm not paying the guy until I test ride. I may give him a $200 deposit when I see him face to face because I would be nervous too if I let someone test ride my bike off the street.

I read the reviews on this bike and it said that it's a bit uncomfortable during long rides. I also read the seat gets hot too with the undertail exhaust. I never noticed it before on my Honda though and the same review said that one is hot too, but not as bad. I've also heard it's not real fast even compared to my 600 R6 but the bore kit is supposed to add 20 HP.

·
Registered
347 Posts
dirt cheap for a 749

check the valves and do the belts. give it some new Amsoil or Mobil1 Racing 4T,
expose your clutch and have fun

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dirt cheap for a 749

check the valves and do the belts. give it some new Amsoil or Mobil1 Racing 4T,
expose your clutch and have fun
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I look forward to the Ducati Experience if the transaction goes through. I've had 4 different Yamaha and Honda sport bikes and I'm anxious to see what all the hype is about. :)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Congrats! I hope it works out for you! I'm not a fan personally of the front but man those pipes look like they could eat a small child, totally sweet!

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Deal. An incredible one. A greater fraction of 748s don't even go that cheap in private sale.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,879 Posts
It's a screaming deal as long as its not salvage or wreck repair. Do a full service for peace of mind and enjoy!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bought a '99 748S, pic below, this week for $3200 from a private seller on CraigsList with 4161 on the clock. It's got Showa on the back but 3 spokes so I'm a bit unsure if it's an "S" but the deal was right.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
you stole it.congrats,post up your thoughts once you have got some miles on it

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Good price for a very nice bike.. Nice engine mod if its done correctly, try and get more info on that from the seller. Not a big fan of the exhaust, but that´s just me.

GREAT find!

On the engine mod.. Here is a report by brad black (Well known Ducati tuner) about the 749 to 924cc upgrade. 20hp might be abit optimistic, but that depends on the dyno.
http://www.bikeboy.org/749924bigbore.html

//amullo

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal without seeing it, and sometimes things are not as good as you may hope for when they are seen in person....but let's hope this is not the case here. I hope this is a terrific bike that you enjoy for many, many thousands of miles.

People like you kinda tickle me, though. Instead of asking people their opinons (as though it really matters) BEFORE you purchase an item, you decide to ask people after the fact. I've been around the Kramer guitar circles for many years and I absolutely hate it when people buy something and THEN try to do research on the item. What I really hate is when the guitar is a bastardized jumble of crap, often misrepresented, and then they tell me what a good deal they got on the item for what it is. If I tell them otherwise, they get all defensive and want to argue with me when it was them coming to me for advice.

It's got Showa on the back but 3 spokes so I'm a bit unsure if it's an "S" but the deal was right.
I believe the "S" should have the adjustable steering head for that year. You can easily see if this is the case if there are two mounting locations for the steering damper on the frame.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off, thanks to all that responded with feedback. I really appreciate it and I spent about 3-4 hours already reading this board about the 749.

I'm starting to think something is up and the deal may not go through. I emailed the guy and the email came back saying it was a invalid email address. What's weird is when I asked a couple of questions to the guy through eBay he responded within a half hour. Now the auction has been over for 15 hours and he hasn't contacted me at all. I also sent him a message through eBay as well last night and I still have not heard back.

He's a Power Seller and he sells quite a few items all the time so I kind of doubt his eBay account got hijacked. I think he'd notice it pretty quick if he's this active on eBay. Obviously I'm not going to send him any kind of deposit until I see the bike in person.

I get the feeling either he forgot to put a reserve price, or he selling it for someone and they sh!t themselves when they heard the final price, and they are trying to back out. I have the guys name and I'm going to look it up in the White Pages to see if I can find his phone number. Any input would be appreciated on how I can work this out through eBay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks. Any comments on things to upgrade besides new clip ons, rear sets, and maybe Corbin seat, I would really appreciate anyones input. I have a Monster but I'm not familiar with this baby superbike.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Thanks. Any comments on things to upgrade besides new clip ons, rear sets, and maybe Corbin seat, I would really appreciate anyones input. I have a Monster but I'm not familiar with this baby superbike.
Other than the slip-ons, the only "upgrade" I do to mine is watch the odometer roll with a healthy diet of 93-octane gasoline and fresh tires when it needs it. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it looks like a go. I pick it up tomorrow morning. It's actually coming from a Harley Davidson Dealership and they have no feedback through the Better Business Bureau. The don't have any service history on the bike. They took it in on a trade. All they could tell me is that it's loud and it runs. If it's too obnoxiously loud I'm going to have the stock pipe put back on.

I'll post back how it rides. I'm taking my dad's pickup truck with me, with my wife and a ramp just in case it breaks down on the 120 mile trip back home.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It's actually coming from a Harley Davidson Dealership
I passed on a 2003 999 with 1700 miles at a Harley dealer in Maryville, TN a couple of years ago for $8000 because I'd just bought an R1 from a BMW dealer with 3900 miles for $4900.....Some of the best deals you can get is from dealerships that don't sell the brand that is in their used section. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
People like you kinda tickle me, though. Instead of asking people their opinons (as though it really matters) BEFORE you purchase an item, you decide to ask people after the fact. I've been around the Kramer guitar circles for many years and I absolutely hate it when people buy something and THEN try to do research on the item. What I really hate is when the guitar is a bastardized jumble of crap, often misrepresented, and then they tell me what a good deal they got on the item for what it is. If I tell them otherwise, they get all defensive and want to argue with me when it was them coming to me for advice.
I understand where you are coming from but I've actually wanted this bike for some time. I've had the "749" bookmarked on eBay for years actually, and I just happened to find this one looking at local bikes on eBay within 250 miles of home. For $4,000 I figured I couldn't go wrong and the money guy (not the salesman that put it up on eBay) at the dealership even said I got an awesome deal and the reserve should have been much higher.

I was aware of the high maintenance costs too so I kind of knew what I was getting into. I always liked the dark 749 but I didn't realize that it had less options than even this one. The way I look at, is if it runs like crap and needs a lot of work I'm only out a few bucks. Fortunately I'm at the stage in my career where a few bucks lost is not that big of a deal. It was a last minute decision to get it but after doing exhaustive research over the last couple of days I'm glad I took the risk. We'll see if it pays off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got it!

After 2+ weeks I was finally able to drive this bike 130+ miles home from the Harley Dealership that had it. There was a issue with the title with the previous owner because there was a lien on it. All I can say is wow! The bike is so different than my Japanese sport bikes (Honda CBR1000RR and R6). At first when I jumped on it I thought "why did I buy this piece of crap!". Once I got used to it though it rode great.

I will say that the mirrors are a joke. I can barely see anything! I'd like to get those replaced. The bike is also loud as hell. Almost too loud. The engine light came on when I first jumped on it and left it in neutral, but then it went off after I put it in gear and took off. My buddy's buddy is the Ducati guy so I may have him look it over before I take it to the shop. If anyone knows a good dealership that works on Ducati's in the Northeast Ohio area please let me know.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. Thanks to everyone that gave me feedback in this thread. I had no idea what I was getting into!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Congrats on the dark 749

I always really liked the dark model.

I "bought" a used 2005 with 5800 miles on it from my dealer but during the 6000 mile service/mechanical inspection agreed to as part of the sale -- it was found to have a flaked rocker arm. My dealer and I agreed to cancel the deal and I ended up buying a 848.

I still wonder what if I had gotten the dark 749....would I be happy with it, or would I have spent alot of $$ trying to make it into a "S" model?? :think:

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i love my 749D. it rides like no other bike i have ridden. when people ask about it, i tell them its noisey, uncomfortable, sounds like its about to blow up at any minute, not the most powerful bike out there, not all that fast really in comparison to a jap bike...... but hit some twisties and nothing can compare to it, and most of all, not every 16yr old kid has gone out and bought one

1 - 20 of 22 Posts