Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milwaukee, Wis. (November 20, 2009) - Harley-Davidson, Inc. (NYSE:HOG) announced today that following the company's recent decision to discontinue the Buell motorcycle product line, Erik Buell, Chairman and Chief Technical Officer of Buell Motorcycle Company, will leave the company to establish Erik Buell Racing, an independent motorcycle race shop.

Erik Buell Racing will specialize in the supply of race-use-only Buell motorcycle parts and race preparation services for engines and motorcycles, and the building and sale of Buell® 1125R-based race-use-only motorcycles under license from Harley-Davidson, as well as providing technical support to racers of Buell motorcycles.

"I'm looking forward to helping Buell racers keep their bikes flying," said Erik Buell. "We've got some exciting race development projects in the works and it will mean a lot to me personally to see Buell racers competing for wins and championships in the 2010 season and beyond."

"I'm pleased that Harley-Davidson is assisting Erik in establishing this business to continue supporting the racing efforts he has had so much passion for over the years," said Buell President and COO Jon Flickinger. "Harley-Davidson and the Buell Motorcycle Company will always be proud of their affiliation with Erik, and we wish him well in this new endeavor to support Buell racers."

Erik Buell Racing will be based in East Troy, Wisconsin and will be staffed by Erik Buell and a veteran team of personnel.

p.s.: it's GOT to be real ... they have an intrawebz site: http://www.erikbuellracing.com/

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Can't keep a good man down. Good news!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Erik Buell has nuts the size of muskmellons. It's good to see him heading back in the right direction. I hope he succeeds. Didn't a couple of Buells duel it out for a championship in one of the bike series this year?

Out!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Yeah, Axe. The 1200cc Buells duked it out with a fleet of 600s. :rolleyes:

I have a soft spot for Buells, but I don't see this project going anywhere, either. If I were running things, which I'm not, I'd have put substantial effort into making the VRod motor a more viable option for a sportbike chassis. That would have been the move...

·
Registered
290 Posts
So Erik is going to be building race bikes on his own under license from Harley? Is it just me, or does that sound exactly like what he was doing before he was bought by Harley.?

Oh, and the V-rod motor is way too heavy for a sportbike chassis.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Erik Buell Racing will specialize in the supply of race-use-only Buell motorcycle parts and race preparation services for engines and motorcycles, and the building and sale of Buell® 1125R-based race-use-only motorcycles under license from Harley-Davidson, as well as providing technical support to racers of Buell motorcycles.

"I'm looking forward to helping Buell racers keep their bikes flying," said Erik Buell. "We've got some exciting race development projects in the works and it will mean a lot to me personally to see Buell racers competing for wins and championships in the 2010 season and beyond."
I'm sure their phones are already ringing off the hook...

·
7,733 Posts
I hope "street kits" become available, that'll make the 1125r end up looking like the shelved "Barracuda" Buell was working on. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I'm glad he's still going - I'd love to see what he'd do if he were totally free to do as he pleases (with a good budget). In interviews he's said that Harley had his hands tied on many things including using their tractor motors.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
huh?

Yeah, Axe. The 1200cc Buells duked it out with a fleet of 600s. :rolleyes:

I have a soft spot for Buells, but I don't see this project going anywhere, either. If I were running things, which I'm not, I'd have put substantial effort into making the VRod motor a more viable option for a sportbike chassis. That would have been the move...
You seen the size of that thing? No way is that going into a sportbike. Guess the drag guys like it. IMO, the future of sport and street bike is a return to the 2cycle motor - direct injection this time around.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
agree

I'm glad he's still going - I'd love to see what he'd do if he were totally free to do as he pleases (with a good budget). In interviews he's said that Harley had his hands tied on many things including using their tractor motors.
I think Erik was onto something and had he been supported by a company what would have developed or had a proper motor developed, Buell might have done better. Time will tell but I am fully expecting to see Buell racing adopting a different motor in the next year or 3.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i always thought ducati/buell had a nice ring to it . i would like to see buell adopt the ds motor or go with a test bed of a valve spring 4 valve duc motor

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Buell already adopted a different motor - the Rotax is a pretty nice powerplant.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I like where your head is at.
there has been so many projects with this and none have materialized. I think they cannot get them to smog but I am praying....

·
Registered
96 Posts
They did develop a better motor. Then HD modified it.

This is from an interview with Erik Buell at http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/News/Erik_Buell_SuperTT_interview.htm

Why don’t you use the liquid cooled Harley V-rod engine? Is it too long for a Buell?

“It’s too big! It actually was our engine. We started the project and then Harley got engaged and said that we’d like to use it too. And then they said, well actually we’ll probably gonna use it first. And then they thought about it and what bike they could build around this engine. They came up with this big touring cruiser. The engine as we had conceived it was too small. It was wrong. And they said that we want, like in all our bikes, the engine to be a showcase in the middle. In a 66inch wheel-based bike this little engine would just look stupid, so they made it bigger. I said, you know, it’s no longer a sporting engine. It’s a big twin, and a beautiful engine for that kind of bike. But, for me again, sport means nimble, athletic, light and it just became a big beautiful touring cruising engine. I just had to go; you know my customers won’t be satisfied with it. And it’s heavier than the air-cooled, significantly heavier without the water and radiator. I had a target of 140 pounds and it’s (V-rod engine) 210. Nothing wrong with it, it’s just not for our bike.”

TS: With all the resources in the Motor Company, why could you not have developed both a small and big engine?

“Well, because it takes a lot of work and a lot of investment to do that. And they (H-D) were doing a new air-cooled for us at the time. The XB shared almost no parts with the Sportster motor. The Sportster motor now is more similar than it was in 2003. They were also doing all the big twin engines. It was really busy. We reached that crossroads and said the engine can’t be common and we can’t do two. We just don’t have the time and the resources. There’s a lot of image that makes Harley-Davidson look so big. I mean, Honda builds 10 million motorcycles a year. Harley does 350.000 which are nice, but think about it, much, much smaller company.”

1 - 18 of 18 Posts