Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lot's of people saying things like...they suck, they're crap etc...but what is it exactly that makes people go out and spend ££ and $$$ on replacements...are they track day gods or was Ruben Xauss running full race spec Ohlins at the launch cos he didn't seem to have a problem :)

Yours confusedly,

waiting for winter...Angleterre

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
My understanding

Lot's of people saying things like...they suck, they're crap etc...but what is it exactly that makes people go out and spend ££ and $$$ on replacements...are they track day gods or was Ruben Xauss running full race spec Ohlins at the launch cos he didn't seem to have a problem :)

Yours confusedly,

Well, from what I have read online at various sites and from having my suspension professionally setup is that the shocks that Ducati specced on Hyper were fine but not ideal. There are some minor build issues but the biggest issue seems to be that the shocks are not adjustable enough to accommodate individual riders.

I had shocks adjusted and it was recommended that I have the front internals (springs and such) changed out and set up for "me". I am 6'2" and 190lbs and the front springs are a bit soft. Tuner said that Marzocchi shocks just don't allow for all the tuning when compared to the new Kayaba shocks that Ducati is speccing out. Not an expert on the subject so I took the comments under advisement.

Note, the rear shocks are just fine and all the issues seem to be with the fronts.

In actual riding experience, I have noticed no problems with mine. The bike does feel more planted now that I have had them adjusted for me but no minor/major issue have been encountered that would deter my purchasing decision.

·
Registered
545 Posts
They're not great, but they're not as awful as some say. Some people just aren't happy unless they're finding fault and modifying something on their bike.

Take your bike to a reputable suspension guy, get your suspension set up properly for your weight and riding style and see how you like it. Always a good idea to spend $ on suspension before anything else on the bike, but the reality is the forks on the base Hyper are just fine.

The stuff that comes stock on even the crappiest bikes these days is light years better than what guys raced on 20 years ago and, I could be wrong, but those racers were able to go damn fast on that stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They're not great, but they're not as awful as some say. Some people just aren't happy unless they're finding fault and modifying something on their bike.

Take your bike to a reputable suspension guy, get your suspension set up properly for your weight and riding style and see how you like it. Always a good idea to spend $ on suspension before anything else on the bike, but the reality is the forks on the base Hyper are just fine.

The stuff that comes stock on even the crappiest bikes these days is light years better than what guys raced on 20 years ago and, I could be wrong, but those racers were able to go damn fast on that stuff.
I agree, how many Hyper owners can really ride to the limit of the forks supplied?? don't get caught up in marketing bull that will cost you thousands

·
Registered
605 Posts
The flaw that I see is very noticable on the street, over rough choppy pavement. The forks are over damped and cannnot respond to high cartridge speeds, so the ride is harsh and the front wheel can loose contact and deflect off line. That is why lighter oil helps slightly. External adjusters on all forks control a fixed orafice, so they affect primarily low speed damping. I thought "no problem, I'll just revalve them". Guess again, the cartridges are sealed. That is where the big $$ cartridge kit come into play. I plan to get into them this winter, look into machining them open and making a removable cartridge cap.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Glenn, you hit it right on. At 5'8" and 175lbs, the change was welcomed but not significant - the 5w does result in an improved feel.

Smaller valves and heavier oil working against a good feel, resulting in what has been coined as "crap." Cartridge kits are next but I chose the interim $200 oil change and setup instead.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Seems like for a bike this expensive, DNA should make it right...they obviously recognize the problem since they changed the forks for '09 to kayaba. Interestingly enough, I have not read or heard any reviews on the KYB forks except for the fact they are tunable. Anybody have an '09 that can vouch for the KYBs? I am leaning to the purchase of an '09 for just that reason.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The flaw that I see is very noticable on the street, over rough choppy pavement. The forks are over damped and cannnot respond to high cartridge speeds, so the ride is harsh and the front wheel can loose contact and deflect off line. That is why lighter oil helps slightly. External adjusters on all forks control a fixed orafice, so they affect primarily low speed damping. I thought "no problem, I'll just revalve them". Guess again, the cartridges are sealed. That is where the big $$ cartridge kit come into play. I plan to get into them this winter, look into machining them open and making a removable cartridge cap.
That about sums the problem up, we have changed the springs in ours (ANDI)
had some made that are not progressive.
I have also changed to 5w oil and it is a lot better in the corners over uneven ground, the slaming due to piss poor rebound is much improved.
For the money paid for an S model Ducati screwed us here.:eek:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yes, in addition to being overdamped its undersprung for my 190 lbs. Dives on braking and stings your wrists on chop.

I'm going to look into making a removable cartride cap/modifying the stock cartridge, or modifying another cartridge to fit, one that is common and can be revalved. I know suspension and have a neighbor who just bought a machine shop and is hungry for work.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Yes, in addition to being overdamped its undersprung for my 190 lbs. Dives on braking and stings your wrists on chop.

I'm going to look into making a removable cartride cap/modifying the stock cartridge, or modifying another cartridge to fit, one that is common and can be revalved. I know suspension and have a neighbor who just bought a machine shop and is hungry for work.
Keep us posted! :D Aloha Alex

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well Karlr, it sounds like the only thing that's wrong with the OEM forks is ..... is that they're MARZOCCHI! That's it!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts

+2!
I don't hate my forks as much as some people.The thing that drives me nuts about suspension set up is that it's hard to know if you have it adjusted as good as you can get it with your given equipment.Maybe if I were a suspension guru or if I had a better fork, I would have that "ah-ha" moment when I knew I had it dialed.
If you come up with a good result through machining the cap and modding the cartridge please let us know.Machining I can handle but knowing what to do once I'm in is my problem.:)

·
Registered
403 Posts
The problem on my "S" model is the front end does not inspire rider confidence, and as the front goes, so does the rest of the bike. So I have purchased a set of Race Tech cartridges and springs for my weight(205 lbs.), along with a Scotts steering damper, and they will get installed next week. Check out the Race Tech web site, It's not too pricey, and they seem to know their stuff. The Bike, otherwise, is a hoot, but the front end sucks, IMO
Martyn

·
Registered
592 Posts
the suspension is great until you start to push it. with the old forks and a great setup when I get a front end tuck in 180kph+ left hander and a front end that can't hold up under braking on the track (and road) I started to worry. Since doing my forks and shock I've knocked easily 8 seconds off my lap times and with more firming up I can easily get more. (I started scraping the woodcraft rear sets now)

now I can pull into our T1 at over 200kph and hold a great line knowing I can push it harder and faster. just need more ponies now..

as said they are good - to a point then the spring / valving shows up. but as stock gear goes for the price, just the spring is a but off.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Have any of you guys in the states been in contact with TRAXXION DYNAMICS?

I asked them if they would consider doing an AK-20 Cartridge for the Hyper. But they would need a set of forks to do the design and trials.

Their AK-20's are just brilliant!

I run them in my ZX6RR race bike and they equal the OHLINS cartridges at 1/2 the price.

Please, someone give them the opportunity to do a set. I would but I'm a little far away!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

Yours confusedly,

My guess is that if you haven't noticed then it is not an issue for you, just don't push your bike or you will find out.

I can only add and say that pretty much it has been thrashed out that for an S we have been fucked over, nothing wrong with the rear but the forks are somewhat of a joke.

The lumpier the surface the more you need them but the worse they get, simple.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I agree, how many Hyper owners can really ride to the limit of the forks supplied?? don't get caught up in marketing bull that will cost you thousands
Definetly not me! :)
100% agree

·
Registered
605 Posts
These cartridge kits are big $$ because the production volume is low and they need to get their investment back. I tend to think that Race Tech did not design and build a new cartridge from scratch, but modified something to fit. I could be wrong, but it would be a lot cheaper for them. I'm sure they would never tell you!

The hard part is just getting a cartridge with a decent piston to fit in the fork, a good platform to work with. There are other variables to consider, but these can be worked out. After that its just playing with valving. I have a friend who is a proffesional suspension tuner and taught me a lot. I will consult with him. I wish I would have measured the cartridges when mine weare apart, anyone have these numbers? Many things are possible as one off custom solutions to problems, its getting them into production that limits options.

My bike will never see a track, and I could never exploit it on one. I would just like to have it track a lot better in real world street riding on rough northeast roads.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You guy's are pussy's and need to sac-up and do what I am doing, installing a Harley springer front end with 22" apes.....I'm calling it the Hyperspring!:D

I am not a track guru or an expert on what feels right and wrong, but I have noticed the front does seem to get a bit jittery during long sweepers and hitting the bumps. I am not going to go out and drop $$ on it since its not really an issue for me...like I am trying to shave seconds off my commute time. I just power through it like a man and not moan about it. Then again my last bike was a Harley so this thing handles like a dream.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The only reason I was willing to get the racetech ones was that for a small amount of $$ I can put them in my next bike and put the stock ones back in when i sell it. I'll have superbike performance forks next time too for very few $$.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts