Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced the belts on my 92 900ss last night. Being new to Ducati's, this is the first time I have tried this type of surgery. I managed to pass the first test in that the bike didn't immediately blow up afterwards :)

Coming in to work this morning I noticed a slight whine that appear to be coming from the belts. This only appeared to happen after the motor was warmed up and when I was just off idle. I suspect the most likely cause to be incorrect tensioning. I checked tension using the 5mm versus 6mm allen key past the idler roller method.

I'll be pulling the bike apart tonight to check again. In the mean time, has anyone else experienced the symptoms described above? I'd appreciate any pointers people can send me before I open it up again tonight.

regards,
MisterE

·
Registered
381 Posts
A little on the loose side is much better than too tight. Too tight is much worse for both the bearings and the belts themselves.......

·
Registered
419 Posts
I experienced the same noise first time I adjusted the belts myself. I took out just the slightest bit of tension and verified using the allen wrench method. Whine went away and no problems since then.

Jeff

·
Registered
570 Posts
I experienced the same noise first time I adjusted the belts myself. I took out just the slightest bit of tension and verified using the allen wrench method. Whine went away and no problems since then.

Jeff
Had same issue. Replaced my belts two weeks ago. Whine was nice, reminded me of a cam belt driven Ferrari engine! ;) After a few miles whine is gone.....all is good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just had mine done on a 96 ss, same thing. I was told by a friend who has a 95 it is normal at first, and should go away in a few miles of riding. just the new belt's cogs meshing with the pulleys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your feedback. I'll hold off pulling the bike apart till the weekend to give it some time to stop whining.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The last set of belts I did they whined at first and the whine did go away after about 75 miles then the cam seal (vert cyl) started seeping on the next set of belts 10k later I did a little more research on setting the tension some say use a 5mm allen passing between both belts under fixed pulley some say 5mm on horizonal cyl. and 6mm on vertical cyl. bacause vertical cyl. runs hotter and haynes manual say use a fish scale and pull 10 pound on the tensioner I try all and the best seems to be the fish scale I then verified it with allen and it does come out to 5mm hor. cyl. and 6mm vert. cyl. just a little insight

but mine does have 44k on the clock

·
Registered
454 Posts
but mine does have 44k on the clock
Only 44k ... my '94 had 178k (km's) and nothing changes these old Duc's just keep going and going ...

I use Duc Dude's method ... fish scale then verify with the allen keys, gives peace of mind.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The belts were replaced as part of its 90k service. Still going strong. Uses a wee bit of oil, especially if I decide to ignore certain legalities relating to velocity. I use the bike to commute daily and so have managed to put 10k on in less than six months.

I think I'll pick up a spring scale on the way home today. Sounds like a good idea for peace of mind.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The last set of belts I did they whined at first and the whine did go away after about 75 miles then the cam seal (vert cyl) started seeping on the next set of belts 10k later I did a little more research on setting the tension some say use a 5mm allen passing between both belts under fixed pulley some say 5mm on horizonal cyl. and 6mm on vertical cyl. bacause vertical cyl. runs hotter and haynes manual say use a fish scale and pull 10 pound on the tensioner I try all and the best seems to be the fish scale I then verified it with allen and it does come out to 5mm hor. cyl. and 6mm vert. cyl. just a little insight

[/the fishscale is a good method.however it doesn't know the rear cyl. runs hotter:D you should have the same gap on both after using it.
t

·
Registered
123 Posts
[/the fishscale is a good method.however it doesn't know the rear cyl. runs hotter:D you should have the same gap on both after using it.
t[/QUOTE]

I know it sounds weird but the angle your pulling on the vert. cyl. tensioner with the marks aligned (vert & hor. cyl.) plus the slight bit of tension from the closing rocker spring does make it a little looser

1 - 11 of 11 Posts