Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is my first post on the Ducati forums. I am an active member at Ferrarichat and if anyone is over there too let me know.

So I picked up a 09 Ducati 1198 in Pearl White on Saturday. It had 02 miles on it and now Monday morning it is pushing 190 miles.

Wanted to get some insight on things I HAVE to get for this bike.

My first impression thus far is the seat is very thin and uncomfortable. I havent really pushed the pick yet since the miles are low and want to break it in.

Great to meet you guys!

Antony

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. Is it really your first bike? If so I hope you get to a track day school. You will learn more about riding your bike in one day at the track then 3 years on the road.

As for your question on things for your bike, well assuming you already have good personal protection gear, I would recommend light weight wheels (BST carbon).

You really should focus on riding it for awhile first then make up your mind about what you want to do with it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
an 1198 for your first bike.....well you already have a lot of things going against you. the 1198 is a bike for experienced riders, and is very unforgiving when it comes to new rider mistakes. Take any and all safety courses you can find, buy AND WEAR your gear, everytime you ride the bike. Never ride out of your comfort zone, ease into learning the bike.

·
Registered
39 Posts
congrats on your first bike...you'll have a wonderful time riding her!

Just be very careful. As Dr.Gonzo said, the 1198 is not a forgiving bike. It's rich in power and if you dont respect it, you'll be on your rear in no time at all.

Ride safe, within your means and enjoy the eye-candy you're riding. :D

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hey guys, this is my first post on the Ducati forums. I am an active member at Ferrarichat and if anyone is over there too let me know.

So I picked up a 09 Ducati 1198 in Pearl White on Saturday. It had 02 miles on it and now Monday morning it is pushing 190 miles.

My first impression thus far is the seat is very thin and uncomfortable. I havent really pushed the pick yet since the miles are low and want to break it in.

Great to meet you guys!

Antony
The seat is fine for me for about 350kms, then it sucks. Are you serious an 1198 is your first bike? Do you have a lot of experience elsewhere (cars, boats, planes, racing lawnmowers etc.?). It's a LOT of bike man. I rode many bikes before for maybe 100,000km total but gave it up for about 15 years...the 1098 was a handful for the first bit...be careful! And have fun!

Shawn

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

Yes it is really my first bike that I have personally owned. I use to race cars for 6 years so I have experience in that but when it comes to bikes I am still getting acclimated. The first bike I ever got on was a GSXR1300 and learned on that thing in one day. I have rode a total of 500 miles combined so I am still new to it all but understand dynamics.

I am riding it slow and not going too crazy with it as I am a safe person. I respect the bike and what it can do.

I am def getting HID's on it because last night was a pain to see and the highbeam is way too high for city driving. I am going to wait for performance mods till I know the bike inside and out; for now just aesthetics and comfort.

Antony

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes it is really my first bike that I have personally owned. I use to race cars for 6 years so I have experience in that but when it comes to bikes I am still getting acclimated. The first bike I ever got on was a GSXR1300 and learned on that thing in one day. I have rode a total of 500 miles combined so I am still new to it all but understand dynamics.

I am riding it slow and not going too crazy with it as I am a safe person. I respect the bike and what it can do.

I am def getting HID's on it because last night was a pain to see and the highbeam is way too high for city driving. I am going to wait for performance mods till I know the bike inside and out; for now just aesthetics and comfort.

Antony

Congrats on the bike! My first bike was and still is my 06 999, no tickets, fines or mishaps so far. Not as potent a bike to start on as an 1198 but it still required self restraint and respect, you will have a blast.

For aesthetic mods I always thought that an open clutch cover and pressure plate look good. Termi exhaust, though a little performance comes with that one. I do not know if this fender is available on the 1198 but I added it to my 999 and I thought it dressed it up nicely.

http://www.ducati.ms/gallery/showimage.php?i=2899&original=1&c=3&userid=17489

A little carbon here and there maybe and aftermarket windscreen and rear sets?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nicky, I am going to hold off on mods like that. I really need to do something about the seat as it is somewhat uncomfortable.

I rode my buddies R1 tonight and noticed his suspension was not as stiff. At first I was envious of it but now I am in love with how hard my bike rides. I feel everything!

Antony

·
Registered
274 Posts
congrats on your new bike.
I too found the seat to be too thin, but to my surprise I didn't feel any discomfort while riding.

enjoy the bike and ride safe

·
Registered
5 Posts

Great to meet you guys!

Antony
1198 is your first bike?? Be careful, but congratulations!! As for the seat, check out Sargent seats at http://www.sargentcycle.com/

Have fun!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Congrats on your 1st bike. Especially it being that bike!
If you feel that the seat is too hard.. until you get that new Sargent seat, I suggest learning proper riding ergonomics.
Learn how to properly sit on that bike: ie hug the tank with your knees and don't really sit on the seat.
Rather weigh yourself on the pegs.
And definitely don't forget to bend your arms parallel with the ground and use your ab muscles to hold you up rather than stressing out your lower back and wrists.

It's a great bike, but that thing is made for the track rather than the street.
None the less, I'm sure you'll enjoy that thing anywhere you ride it as I would.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts