Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I must first re-introduce myself here on Ducati MS. I owned a Ducati 848 Streetfighter for the past five years. Unfortunately, the following for this bike had dropped off a bit by the time I got on the scene. Combine that with a busy last few years (home purchase, changed jobs, etc) and that makes for a lackluster contribution to the forum.

I'm hoping to contribute a lot more this go round. I've been riding on the street for about 15+ years, starting with a small Kawasaki Ninja 250, working my way through a 3 Ninja ZX-6Rs, a GSX-R750, and finally following in my Dad's footsteps and taking the plunge into the world of Ducati. The 848 SF was truly the best bike I have owned to date.

Seeing all the new technology being introduced with the new generation Hypermotard got me motivated to try something fresh. I decided to trade my beloved SF for a more upright yet hooliganesque ride. After much anticipation and thanks to winter weather finally cooperating, I was able to pick my new base Hypermotard 950 last Saturday at Hudson Valley Motorcycles in Ossining NY. Quick thumbs up for the only motorcycle dealer I have dealt with for the past 15 years. They are genuinely good people. They are knowledgeable, friendly, and take great care of their customers.

The less than 30 miles I put on my new baby had me grinning from ear to ear. It's a real treat. Chilly temperatures and frozen fingers aside, I could tell this bike is something special. I am really impressed at honestly pleasantly surprised at how good the ergonomics. yes seat height was a little bit of a worry going in (since Ducati definitely had their model lowered at the show). I'm happy to report that at 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam, I have no problem getting both feet down at a full stop (3/4 not just on my tippie toes ). Power delivery is excellent, although I will have to adjust a tiny bit to the ride by wire since everything I have ridden prior has had an old fashioned cable throttle. It's 95% mental. The feel is great, but I'd like to reduce the throttle gap. I know my Dad had it done with a small aftermarket insert on his 1199R and 1199SL.

I tried to keep the spirit of the bike intact as much as possible but could not resist unbolting the passenger pegs a few minutes after getting her home. Happy to report the bike is now 2 lbs 7oz lighter lol. The mounting holes have been filed with push clips which cleans that right up. Next up will be the ugly reflectors on the fork protectors, and mounting my CRG Arrow mirrors on the handguards.

I'm patiently waiting for NRC to release their fender eliminator kit with built in turn signals. Sounds like they are a couple weeks out (still in development). Other than that I am pretty pleased with the exhaust note stock and this is coming from someone who has had a slip-on or full system on pretty much every motorcycle he's owned. I will say I don't like the options from Termignoni, and would like to keep it a dual if I do go the aftermarket route in the future. The stockers are plenty good for now.

Ok enough with this essay. The cabin fever is getting to me. Looking forward to having some fun, sharing the enthusiasm in this bike, learning from and sharing some knowledge with all of you. Happy and safe riding to all of you (and modding of course!!!).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I have been having fun with mine. I agree that there is "something special" about this bike. I have never ridden anything quite like it before.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at the subframe last night to see if I had the same spacing as some of the other owners have reported. Indeed I do have what looks like an abnormal amount of gap. I will run it by my dealer and see what they can do.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just looked at the subframe last night to see if I had the same spacing as some of the other owners have reported. Indeed I do have what looks like an abnormal amount of gap. I will run it by my dealer and see what they can do.
Can you take a picture and post it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, definitely a fun toy..
As for the tail tidy, be careful with the side swing arm license plate holder. I had something hit mine on the freeway and it got knocked into the rear wheel causing me to go into a nasty rear wheel lock at 65 miles an hour. Luckily for me, the license plate broke just before I would have completely lost it.
Never again will I put my license in that location , it is incredibly dangerous.
I spoke to the guys at NRC and they said the have a reenforce version. That makes me more nervous thinking that because it’s reenforced it won’t brake when jammed in the rear wheel.. I don’t know about you but that is like playing Russian roulette.
Sometimes we have no control of things we may have to run over like truck tires and such.
I can’t wait till someone figures out a better way. The NRC light look great , but my buddies and me are definitely not putting the license plate on the side swing arm.

The guy’s I ride with are long time riders that have had all kinds of things happen to them, but knowing how this almost caused me some serious injuries, we all decided to not take the risk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats on the pick up! I have had a 939 for just over a year now and love it. Real jealous of the display on the 950 and lowered seat.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As per request here are a few pics of my subframe gap. It really isn't as bad as I thought. But let's compare. Left hand side are the first 2 pics, followed by 2 pics of the right side. I would say the right side is where there is a potential issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
As per request here are a few pics of my subframe gap. It really isn't as bad as I thought. But let's compare. Left hand side are the first 2 pics, followed by 2 pics of the right side. I would say the right side is where there is a potential issue.
Thanks for the pics. Looking at one of your shots, circled below, the gap is there, but not as pronounced as on my bike. Both our bikes have the issue on the rear right attachment point, but yours (yellow below) is not as bad as mine (blue).

What did you dealer say? On my bike, the bolt could not be tightened any more than it is already. The frame pieces seem to be blocking the bolt from driving home. Did you try and tighten the bolt and see what is going on?

Not very impressive manufacturing tolerances or quality control. I love the bike, but is it too much to ask for the frame components to fit? :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't mentioned it to my dealer. I honestly have't had too many opportunities to wrench on the bike. I've been getting my dual sport set up. I still have to install my frame sliders. The weather is just warming up here in NY. I really wanna put some miles on the new Hyper. I will try to tighten the bolts but I have a feeling the way the subframe is fitting, there isn't gonna be anything to really tighten. Either way I will run it but my dealership and see what comes of it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Played around with my Rottweiler mounts and CRG Arrow mirrors as some felt they looked like grab bars on a freestyle MX bike. I switched the mirrors around and got them to rotate down more... they are about as tucked as I would want to still have comfortable access to my controls, and to provide good visibility. They also look a lot sleeker. In my opinion thos is one of the best option out there. No need to keep my mirrors vulnerable to a crash (ie: mounted on the bar end/off the handguard) and no need to extend the wingspan of the bars/bike either. This keeps everything in a nice tight and clean configuration.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Played around with my Rottweiler mounts and CRG Arrow mirrors as some felt they looked like grab bars on a freestyle MX bike. I switched the mirrors around and got them to rotate down more... they are about as tucked as I would want to still have comfortable access to my controls, and to provide good visibility. They also look a lot sleeker. In my opinion thos is one of the best option out there. No need to keep my mirrors vulnerable to a crash (ie: mounted on the bar end/off the handguard) and no need to extend the wingspan of the bars/bike either. This keeps everything in a nice tight and clean configuration.
Nice bike!
I was hoping you can help. Been searching for the "Rottweiler" base mounts as you have... but could not find that particular mount that you have that actually mount on to the base.
Any help would be appreciated or at least the link where I can purchase that particular "base mount".

You can email me directly at [email protected] or here is ok.

Thank you so much!
Eddie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts