Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Just picked up a 996

4K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  anonymous.shyster 
#1 ·
Well I just bought my 2nd Ducati. I found this 2000 996 on craigslist with 4k miles for a really good price. I am super happy with it and all its beauty. What a legend.....

I would love to hear some opinions of 996 ownership......

Thanks

See less See more
#7 ·
Riding a 996 is an experience, when everything is in synch you know you are riding something very special. Exhaust, clutch, belts, intake make me :D. Also makes you extremely angry when it is broken, its quite the love/hate relationship.

Very clean 996 congrats

#9 ·
Don't do the stickers. Even if you manage to get it on straight and without wrinkles, they look like the half-measure they are--gaps around the torx heads and such. Plus, when one of my friends tried to remove his, it took the layer of clearcoat with it. If you want a number plate, have a good painter do it right. Also mind the "correct" shape and pinstripe.

#10 ·
Nice clean looking bike, congrats.

I think a front vinyl number plate is a good option to balance your bike’s look.

I’ve had vinyl decals on/off different bikes multiple times, including 996 front number plates, without any clear coat issues.

They’re not hard to put on straight… and I can’t see how you could get gaps around the screws without being really cack handed ????

Here's the last one I did - sorry I dont have any closeups - but it went on pretty easy, has nice ducati/wreath... image printed on it above the LH headlight... it was only liek $35 I think, and I've had it on there for over 4 years:

#30 ·
To the OP, beautiful bike, congrats!
What endcans are those? Termi's? They look huge.. If anything, I'd get shorter ones/shorten those..

Nice clean looking bike, congrats.

I think a front vinyl number plate is a good option to balance your bike’s look.

I’ve had vinyl decals on/off different bikes multiple times, including 996 front number plates, without any clear coat issues.

They’re not hard to put on straight… and I can’t see how you could get gaps around the screws without being really cack handed ????

Here's the last one I did - sorry I dont have any closeups - but it went on pretty easy, has nice ducati/wreath... image printed on it above the LH headlight... it was only liek $35 I think, and I've had it on there for over 4 years:

Yup, it is super easy to get on without wrinkles / gaps- I sprayed soapy water on the backside and squeegeed (sp?) the liquid out. Been on for over a year and no problems

Before..

After..

#11 ·
Guys I gotta say, I am already falling for this 996 :) ......I took off all the body today and gave her a really good cleaning, and what short ride I did. I can definitely tell this bike is special....

I actually ordered the vinyl front plate for it, I love the look...I am going to see how it looks and decide from there to keep it or not..Thank you all for the nice reply's......

#12 ·
nice buy!
I have a 996 too. I did a lot of maintenance on my fuel tank, it was worth it. It wasn't leaking... yet

- internal fuel lines (mine were cracked)
- sender unit alloy nut (mine was cracked)
- metal quick connect (mine were dry and... cracked)
- new tank O-ring (required when you open the tank).

I created a thread about it with all part number. Check it out!

#18 ·
Luckily for me, it has the billet quick connects already, Im not sure about the lines I will have to look further into it, thankyou for the advise. Good to know.

Nice bike !
Congrats.
Just keep it by the way - you'll enjoy it for years to come.
I bought a 998 FE about 2 years ago, don't really have any time for it, so put it in my theatre room. It's actually THE bike I enjoy the most, since I get to admire it every day ! :)
I am thinking I will keep it at least for the same purposes you have.....I'll roll her into the house then I can look at her even more

#13 ·
Here's another shot from today, after a good scrubbing and polish.....The guy also had a CF front fender he "didn' like the looks"....:confused: So I added that..

#14 ·
Nice bike !
Congrats.
Just keep it by the way - you'll enjoy it for years to come.
I bought a 998 FE about 2 years ago, don't really have any time for it, so put it in my theatre room. It's actually THE bike I enjoy the most, since I get to admire it every day ! :)

Attachments

#21 ·
Today I got a few parts installed, I am really happy the way the bike handles now compared to my stock setup. So I went with the Ohlins DU143. Made a few adjustments to the forks and man what a difference in the short ride home. I also set it up for a battery tender, installed a aluminum coolant tank (the old one was leaking everywhere). And installed a carbon fiber airbox.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=394834&stc=1&d=1401401343

Attachments

#23 ·
Hey. I have the integrated rear kit on order. So I don't have any at the moment. The previous owner said he never used them..

So I am just waiting to find something I like and get them on there eventually..

#24 ·
Hi there, I think you've found a pretty great 996, looks to be in really great shape. :)

I agree with everyone saying this bike is special, it is a true Ducati Superbike with every goods and bads...when it runs great it is a blast to ride...it is the kind of bike you can make one with it.

I track mine and I must say that WOW this bike is sooo a precise track weapon in every aspects...

I have dream of that bike for the last ten years and now for the last two years I've got myself this one :

I hope you will enjoy yours like we all seems to enjoys ours...

Best regards :)

#26 ·
I love the original Red Bull bike. And thankyou....I am having a good time with it already, I will most likely keep this bike and try and add more later :D

#29 ·
Yea im not too sure. They dont look to be that new, Im not a fan of them. I have a new set of diablo corsa ready to go on..I just need to get them on, I was actually thinking about powder coating the wheels black while I had them off..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.