Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a TT today becaue I always had a big gap in the fueling from closed to just cracked open.Very choppy no matter how smoothly I tried.From just trying it on the shop stand I couldn't get it to lurch or snap on from idle as it usually would...Easy install and nice build quality.Busy and weather looks crap tommorow so may have to wait to next week for a road test...

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Yup...great mod. I did that early on and got smoother control. I bet you'll notice a difference.

·
Premium Member
2004 Ducati ST3
95 Posts
Yup...great mod. I did that early on and got smoother control. I bet you'll notice a difference.
Just installed a TT today becaue I always had a big gap in the fueling from closed to just cracked open.Very choppy no matter how smoothly I tried.From just trying it on the shop stand I couldn't get it to lurch or snap on from idle as it usually would...Easy install and nice build quality.Busy and weather looks crap tommorow so may have to wait to next week for a road test...
That's quite an interesting approach to smoothing out throttle response. What brand did you use and where did you get it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't mean to hijack your post but its easy to modify the thottle tube with an Exacto knife to reduce the initial rate of cable pull just off idle. It reduces the abruptness of the off idle transition. Did this mod over 10 years ago and it was a great improvement.

All you need to do is carve the recess deeper that the cable is being pulled into just a bit deeper for about the first 1/2" or so of the circumference and blend it back into the full diameter.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
BobM - Do a Video !

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I had the Motion Pro one with 4 choices of discs to put in, not as nice as the aluminum one I'm sure, but the concept is the same. Settled on the next to highest progressive disc, (slow ramp at first, big bump then a subtle curve up to redline - total twist about 1/2 turn ) which felt great on the track as you could gently feed more throttle leaned over entering a curve at higher revs) but it took hundreds of miles on the street to get used to the spot where all hell broke loose. Switched it back to stock and within two blocks I had it down to muscle memory.

What does this mean? I dunno, never went back to progressive but I have become very attentive to maintaining the correct adjustment on the cable tension, I notice right away if there is any tiny amount of slack.

I've been giving some thought to another brand of aluminum throttle, the one with ball bearings in it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't mean to hijack your post but its easy to modify the thottle tube with an Exacto knife to reduce the initial rate of cable pull just off idle. It reduces the abruptness of the off idle transition. Did this mod over 10 years ago and it was a great improvement.

All you need to do is carve the recess deeper that the cable is being pulled into just a bit deeper for about the first 1/2" or so of the circumference and blend it back into the full diameter.
I drilled another hole for the cable end and carved the cable valley deeper as marked. Had to take up the small amount of cable slack and that was it.. As RockAZ said, if you have cable slack, that causes an abrupt on/off transition as you open the throttle.

Throttle cam mod (1).JPG

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drilled another hole for the cable end and carved the cable valley deeper as marked. Had to take up the small amount of cable slack and that was it.. As RockAZ said, if you have cable slack, that causes an abrupt on/off transition as you open the throttle.

View attachment 995147
I love it.No cable slack on mine.I believe it's a combo of mapping(good everywhere else),TPS and FI needed to be redone after a map load a couple seasons ago AND the design of the throttle tube..I would recommend writing this up with pics for a "How To" for those who want to do a home remedy,may help those who haven't done any mods yet but suffer the same characteristics....

Reactions: BobM

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Ride by wire seem to have obsoleted this kind of product for bikes that have it.
Good thing mine is apparently not that abrupt. Seemed quite abrupt and unruly at first.
Eventually got used to coordinating fine throttle and clutch control in the slow stuff.
I can always do better.

Ride on. :)

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ride by wire seem to have obsoleted this kind of product for bikes that have it.
Good thing mine is apparently not that abrupt. Seemed quite abrupt and unruly at first.
Eventually got used to coordinating fine throttle and clutch control in the slow stuff.
I can always do better.

Ride on. :)
I always say,sport bike riding,and for that matter it applies to all MC riding,is like golf,much more mental than people realize and you never perfect it.Even the greatest hit a water hazard every so often...Problem is,I'm smooth on all my other bikes,and other owners have complained about the same symptom,so I think it's at least a 80/20 design to rider problem...Just trying to create an equal playing field...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts