Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pouring rain so no riding on this bike, but did take the demo out for a half on very twisty roads.

First off, the right footpeg is significantly better position wise than my brutale, didn't feel my foot sticking out nearly as much.

Do have the feeling I'm leaning way forward on this bike but not sure if that's just perception. Seating position in terms of hands, felt slightly more agressive than the brute. Very comfortable and roomy for me, I'm 6'-2".

Even tho I kept it under the 6k breakin this bike is stupid quick, wow, it makes loads of power. Didn't find the clutch pull to be any heavier than the 996 I had, so don't find this a problem at all. The brakes are superb, as frame of reference, the nissins on my brute sucked from day one, these brembos are incredible and far better than the ones on my tuono.

Think ducati has done a beautiful job of integrating components and execution is superb. FYI the cubby hole under the pillion seat or cover is more than ample for dmv insurance paperwork, but probably not much else.

I'm very pleased with this bike, it feels llike it was almost built with me in mind in that at 49 I just can't ride a pure sportbike, the nakeds suit me quite well.

A great scoot I think!

Chris

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congratulations!

Post some pictures! Pearl white is the way to go. :)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Congrats, great looking bikes you have. Now you have to add it to your signature.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Chris,

Congrats!

So what was the total cost out the door?

I'm on the fence right now, as I would probably sell my ST3s/DP if I were to go for the SF. Do you feel a trade off on not having the traction control?

billg

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chris,

Congrats!

So what was the total cost out the door?

I'm on the fence right now, as I would probably sell my ST3s/DP if I were to go for the SF. Do you feel a trade off on not having the traction control?

billg
OTD including 6% sales tax for my base model was $16477. $550 of that was for dealer set up and also freight. Also, first service is free.

I demo'd the S, but never having had traction control, for the type of riding I do, I'm not sure how much difference it'd make for me. And never having had it probably won't miss it.

As an aside, the metallic black bike is gorgeous!

Chris

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Which dealer did you goto? Atlanta I'm assuming.

Yeah, black is "my" fast color. Oh the agony of temptation. Damn you! :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
it feels llike it was almost built with me in mind in that at 49 I just can't ride a pure sportbike

Chris,
I totally agree. I'm 48 and currently riding a CBR1000RR. I guess I just had to get it out of my system. I demo'd the S today then climbed back on my CBR, I almost turned around after a mile to close the deal.

I had an issue with the SF as it died on me twice while idling at a stop. Dealer feel it could be due to the newness of the engine and claims it isn't uncommon for this engine to do so. I'm kinda reluctant to take this particular bike so am gonna wait for the next shipment. Otherwise, Damn, what a bike. I look forward to being able to rev past 6k after break-in. Ergos suit me very well. My back still aches after riding the CBR today. Will need the heat pad tonight.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which dealer did you goto? Atlanta I'm assuming.

Yeah, black is "my" fast color. Oh the agony of temptation. Damn you! :)
I bought it from NPR ducati in Athens, a great crew. I've dealt with the other two ducati dealers in Atlanta (one before they had ducati and only bmw) and wouldn't return to either. NPR is about 60 miles more (about 175 miles) but for me worth the extra distance.

park - will do, I know this is first run bikes so have a potential to be one of the ones with issues as sometimes occur. And I did give lots of thought before I committed yesterday.

srlead - that's racedeck plastic tile I put down in my garage a couple months ago and I love it!

mick - fwiw, neither my bike or the demo had issues with idling and I witnessed both started from cold, and had no problem with the demo stalling even tho we started the ride and bike wasn't fully warmed. So perhaps it's an adjustment issue. But certainly they'll be getting more bikes so you can def. wait.

Chris

·
Registered
90 Posts
it feels llike it was almost built with me in mind in that at 49 I just can't ride a pure sportbike

Chris,
I totally agree. I'm 48 and currently riding a CBR1000RR. I guess I just had to get it out of my system. I demo'd the S today then climbed back on my CBR, I almost turned around after a mile to close the deal.

I had an issue with the SF as it died on me twice while idling at a stop. Dealer feel it could be due to the newness of the engine and claims it isn't uncommon for this engine to do so. I'm kinda reluctant to take this particular bike so am gonna wait for the next shipment. Otherwise, Damn, what a bike. I look forward to being able to rev past 6k after break-in. Ergos suit me very well. My back still aches after riding the CBR today. Will need the heat pad tonight.
The stalling issue is common to Ducatis unfortunately. As is cold start issue. As much as I hate to say this, but if you think that is unreasonable for a brand new bike (which is more than fair enough!), then Ducati isn't the brand.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Chris, I wouldnt worry much about teething issues if any with the SF. Ducati is one of the few brands that I have no problem buying a first year model. The american investors - TPG - keep a very close eye on quality control and Ducati is superb at addressing any issues quickly.

Interesting about the traction control, it may be a less necessary feature than I originally thought

Enjoy that beast!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pics of the pearl white in the sun!! it hasnt been raining that much, quite riding and snap some shots!! :p
I've had the chance to ride it a bit more as the rain finally has left for a few days I hope.

I absolutely have to get a better camera. Taking it out for a couple long rides this weekend. I'm a bit prejudice but I think the pearl white is the most outstanding color on this bike, pics just absolutely do not do it justice!
Chris

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hooray

Excellent...Glad you're happy with it....:)

"I'm very pleased with this bike, it feels llike it was almost built with me in mind in that at 49 I just can't ride a pure sportbike, the nakeds suit me quite well."

How could they have built it for you when,obviously,they built it for me?: :eek:

As a sideline.

I put the DTC on yesterday and tested the various levels.
On 8 the red lights came on quite easily,got it down to 5 and couldn't get them to come on,I didn't exceed the 6k revs though for running in.
I hope also that this is not a reflection of how crap a rider I am.:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts