Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jut got Termis put on - man they sound awesome. I have them for about a week. I feel like I am hearing the valves a lot more. The bike has 2000 miles. I especially hear ticking around 3000 or so in first and second. Do you guys notice louder noise up front with these pipes? I also think the air intake is louder too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok -so I think there is something wrong. There is a really loud and noticeably different pinging/ticking sound that seems to be coming from the horizontal cylinder at 3000 rpms and up. Guess I will be bringing it in. Funny thing is the the shop thought the bike was loud when I had the 600 mile service but couldn't find anything wrong. This noise doesn't sound right to me. grrrhh

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Post a clip with the sound

The forum will respond with much greater certainty if you post a movie clip that effectively samples the sound your machine makes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know. I had the Termis on for a week. When I rev the bike, even in nuetral, it sounds fine and that at 3000 there is a loud ticking - sounds like a valve but louder. It doesn't sound right to me, but I am not really familiar with these engines.

·
Registered
283 Posts
check to make sure the pipes were properly tightened at the head flanges. An exhaust leak can cause a ticking sound like loose valves. My Termi exhaust kit also included an open airbox lid which does give you more intake noise which is normal. Hopefully your ticking noise is that simple. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you mention it, I thought the exhaust pipe did not look flush against the cylinder. In fact, one side looks tighter than the other. I will post a picture tonight when I get home. Unfortunately I don't own a camcorder to record a clip, but will see if I can borrow one.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
yo jm, there are a lot of us close to where you are. Where are you at. I live right across the border in pa. Near Phillipburg NJ. Some one can take a listen. What year bike is yours, or even a better question is: Do you have a dry clutch? It is too easy, but I though I would ask.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Papawheelie:

I live in East Brunswick, NJ - near Rutgers. The bike is an 08 biposto (wet clutch). meeting up would ne great. I follow the NYC Cafe thread and want to ride with you guys, but I am a newb and afraid I won't keep up - yet :)

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Tap Tap Tap

did you can the stock air box ??

Does it sound like there is a little man with a ball peen hammer tappin when

a) it is cold and or

b) especially when under load up to 3000 or so rpm ?

Does it get quiter under the same conditions or intermittent once engine temp gets up over 90 degrees ?

I have the same thing with my SC 1080 after I did the top end and ditched the air box \ boat anchor. On first ride I thought it was tappet noise but because it got quiter at higher rpm and it is more of a knock than tappet clatter I ruled that out . Then I started to believe it was a rod bearing which will be noisey at low rpm especially under load and then quiet down at higher rpm I was pulling my hair out cause I just had the top end off and the rod bearings seemed ok but hard to tell without actually splittin the cases and seein as how I only got 7 or 8 thousand miles on it that didnt seem likely

Now I notice it gets quiet from time to time especially when hot so then I started thinkin forged piston slap except we double checked those clearances....yeeeesshhh ..

Finally it entered my noggin that without that massive air box to muffle naturrally occuring engine noise it could be because I am now hearin somethin I never heard before due to the heavy sound deadening effect of the box......so I pulled out one of my YouTube videos I took a year ago when all the stock gear was in place ...my buddy was ridin it so I was in close proximity ... low and behold I can swear I hear the same knock but somewhat muted when i walked around the right side of the bike towards the end of the video .....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgAcBf6KYQ... sound familiar ??? you be the judge .....

1000 miles later and the little man is not tapping any louder than before which , if it was a rod bearing would surely be worse by now as I have a lead wrist I was tempted to rip the motor out and strip it down but now I have decided to wait and see and if it doesnt get worse between now and the end of riding season in October I will tear it down then just because I am obsessive. Also when I next change the oil at 1500 miles I will look for bearing material in the oil which will usually appear as little spot or streak of copper ... and if it does not appear I will probably take the oil to a lab for analysis (again with the ocd)..... or I can jusf ignore the little bastard with the hammer until he finally makes good his escape :0) .....

MUZZ

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
nice, see I knew someone would help you out.
You are always welcome to ride with us. Don't worry, we never leave a soldier behind...... oh wait, except Tony. The pace is fast, but we are not morons.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice, see I knew someone would help you out.
You are always welcome to ride with us. Don't worry, we never leave a soldier behind...... oh wait, except Tony. The pace is fast, but we are not morons.
Cool - I hope to make the next one! assuming my bike doesn't sit in the shop for another three weeks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Met up with Gedwin - really cool guy - he said the tapping is something he does nothear on his bike and he also noticed a metallic scraping sound. I will be bringing it in for peace of mind. I've listened to as many sound clips as I can find, and nothing picks up the sound I am hearing.

·
Registered
900 Posts
check to make sure the pipes were properly tightened at the head flanges. An exhaust leak can cause a ticking sound like loose valves. My Termi exhaust kit also included an open airbox lid which does give you more intake noise which is normal. Hopefully your ticking noise is that simple. :)
That's what I think, too.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
tap tap tap

Met up with Gedwin - really cool guy - he said the tapping is something he does nothear on his bike and he also noticed a metallic scraping sound. I will be bringing it in for peace of mind. I've listened to as many sound clips as I can find, and nothing picks up the sound I am hearing.
Taking it to a mechanic is the smart thing to do. I had a shop for years and if I had a dollar for every time someone wanted me to diagnose by 'backing the bike up to the phone' I would be a millionaire ....even when you did try ....when the bike showed up it would almost always be someting else....I remember one guy callin me up and describing what sounded like severe clutch or transmission problems ...he was so pissed he just wanted to unload the bike for whatever he could get ... I bought it sight unseeen ....(the price was so low I could not lose) We did the paper work and later in the week I took the time to look it over to see what it needed ......teeth on front sprocket were stripped ! put new chain sprockets and resold the bike for 4 times what I paid...... :0)

You might also try listening with a mechanics stethescope to pinpoint but unless you are able to fix whatever the problem is it will end up in the hands of a mechanic anyhow..like the old Fram oil commercial "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later " .....:0)

Good luck ..hope it is nothin serious....

Muzz

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone. I hope it is that the exhaust pipe needs tightening on the flange. I want it documented if this is the problem in case there was any other problems as a result. I should get there on Saturday.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks everyone. I hope it is that the exhaust pipe needs tightening on the flange. I want it documented if this is the problem in case there was any other problems as a result. I should get there on Saturday.
I hope it's your exhaust flange too....but...

If you had an exhaust leak, you'd hear it regardless of your RPMs. Glad you're bringing it in for a look-see. Let us know what it turns out to be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got back from the dealer and the Service manager rode the bike and said it sounded fine. I told him that it happens at 3000 RPM and up and he said he held it a 3, 4 and other RPMs, he hammered on it and said it's good. He said the open airbox let's you hear more of the motor.

I am going back on Saturday to have the 14T front sprocket put on so I'll have him check it again if anything changes.

To me, it the sound is annoying cause I keep fixating on it. The bike pulls hard and runs smooth, so maybe it's just noise. Funny thing. I did buy a sweet Rev-it summer jacket finally. My leather is killing me. Every time I go there I buy something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts