Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
sweet looking helmet. how well does the self tinting work?

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Buddy of mine has one, forgot to ask if it's quiet but the visor is just the killer.
Depending on the sunshine or let's say light hitting it it get's darker or lighter in color.
We were riding to Indy a few weeks back and during the day in bright sunshine the visor was fully dark and at night clear as glass.
It's bad ass.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oh wow, that is a cool helmet! I've never seen a photochromic visor! What a great idea. I'm surprised more helmets are not made from carbon fiber.
Yeah, Akuma has some pretty schweet helmets! Still waiting on them to release the Gator Glass ones...They've been in a "Coming Soon" state for almost a year now.

·
9,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Arai says carbon fibre isn't the best material for helmet shells. Can't remember why but it made sense. Then again it was arai's own marketing propaganda so you never know lol.
Ironic Arai would say that since their shells are made of a material called Prepreg Carbon Fiber!

·
9,757 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Uh, no they're actually made of what arai calls super complex laminate construction, fancy lingo for fiberglass.

Their higher end car helmets are made of carbon fiber, but they say SCLC is better for motorcycle helmets.
Ahhh you read the marketing propaganda......and Oakleys Unobtainium or X-Metal is real too!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Buddy of mine has one, forgot to ask if it's quiet but the visor is just the killer.
Depending on the sunshine or let's say light hitting it it get's darker or lighter in color.
We were riding to Indy a few weeks back and during the day in bright sunshine the visor was fully dark and at night clear as glass.
It's bad ass.
With the issues with helmet shields I've had in the past and present, i want one of those bad ass shields for one of my Suomys. I'm sure in time Suomy will either develop their own (if not patent protected) or if not and they drag their feet, I'll be forced to go out and buy the helmet. If it works like Shift Tech describes, maybe it will make a nice Xmas present to myself.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Same here, hoping Arai starts offering it. I have so many helmets but it looks like I be getting one of them as well.

It really works, I did a 1100 mile trip with that guy. You should have seen it, the visor was changing shades just as it was suppose to be and it's not just clear to fully dark tint, there are also lot's of shades in between all depending on the light.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Is it me or are the carbon helmets almost the same weight as "regular" helmets?
They say those carbon helmets are ±1300g while my shoei has a tag saying 1300g. Is there a difference in components that are included in the weighing or is the weight difference that small?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is it me or are the carbon helmets almost the same weight as "regular" helmets?
They say those carbon helmets are ±1300g while my shoei has a tag saying 1300g. Is there a difference in components that are included in the weighing or is the weight difference that small?
The CF helmets should be quite a bit lighter than an equivalent size non-CF helmet. What size do you wear? The Momo dirkwright mentioned is only 949g.
Here's a list showing 124 helmets by weight. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

1 - 20 of 33 Posts